By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Q1 FY2020 (April-June) Results - PS4: 1.9m (LTD: 112.1m) | Best Quarter ever for PlayStation

$23B would be an all time record for any gaming company. Sony has somehow managed to grow their revenue despite it being an end of cycle/transitioning period. This is most likely due to their services and software sales continuing to grow or stay at incredibly high numbers.

I was wondering it it is possible for Sony to break near the $30B number with PS5. Main reasons being more digital within the PS userbase, PS5 outselling PS4, and further growth of first party.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
mjk45 said:

One thing that has to be taken into account is this is the first time we have seen BC become a permanent feature going forward so PS5 playing PS4 software has to factor in to how they look at PS4 going forward my thoughts are they will emphasise the benefits of PS5 BC to both old and new customers, lessening one of the attractions of buying a console late in its life cycle that being having access to a large library.

Not true... the PS2 was fully BC with the PS1.

The PS "one" went onto sell another 28M consoles through the period of 2000-2006.

At the end of the day though, its going to come down to price. f the cheapest PS4 you can buy is $299 while there is a PS5 on the market for $399, then the PS4 will have no legs.

I was basing it on being permanent going forward, but your right silly me, you are also right about price being king, still I was adding it as another reason to be  taken into account, I feel with their talk about moving people onto PS5 at a greater rate than PS4, they will put the brakes on the PS4 by emphasising BC taking away one of the benefits of late gen purchase and if they do that while keeping the price as it is now it may work.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:

I was basing it on being permanent going forward, but your right silly me, you are also right about price being king, still I was adding it as another reason to be  taken into account, I feel with their talk about moving people onto PS5 at a greater rate than PS4, they will put the brakes on the PS4 by emphasising BC taking away one of the benefits of late gen purchase and if they do that while keeping the price as it is now it may work.

Oh I agree with you entirely. And is what I have been saying.

Yes, we know that sony has been pushing this fastest transition to next gen narrative. Question is, how do they do that? Solution?

1. Do not drop the price of the PS4, leave it at $299. Drop the price of the PS4 pro to $349 but quietly discontinue it. 
  2. Make sure there is a PS5 SKU at $399. 

That's it, keeping the prices of the PS4 as is, has the added bonus of further increasing the value proposition a $399 PS5. It also ensures that the PS4 holds its value in the used market. Why is that important? Because if a brand new PS4 costs $299, then a PS4 owner can sell his/her PS4 used for as much as $199 and it would be considered a deal. Even better when he bundles all his controllers and a few games to it.

That means that to that PS4 gamer going to the PS5, the PS5 would end up costing him/her only $199 if they are buying the DE SKU. That's how you get people to jump into the new-gen as quickly as possible. And of course, as you said, having BC plays a role. I would just add that it gives people that already ow a PS4 no reason at all to hold onto their PS4cosoles, so expect the used market to get flooded with P4s as no one is holding onto theirs.

Otter said:
xMetroid said:
I dont get why some are diminishing the DS reaching 150 millions cause it's a "portable" while the PS2 only did it by going 99$ and people bought it for DVD player

DS deserves its props but the nature of handheld ownership is quite different from consoles. Having multiple handhelds per household is quite common as it's intended as personal device and nintendo kind forced this further with games like Pokemon and Nintendogs only allowing 1 save file. 

Intrinsic said:
Fei-Hung said:
I dint think the figures show the whole truth. I think digital sales are up mostly due to store sales and offers not day one purchases of brand new games.

It would be nice to see a breakdown of digital revenue split between brand new games and games bought on sale.

I'm 38 years old, love my physical media simply since I can trade it and get some credit back for my next purchase. However, PSN sales have been so good, I've bought more older games this gen than ever before.

I wonder if this is just me, or if this is so common it makes up a chunk of digital revenue.

Whatever it is, digital spending is increasing. And that's all that really matters. I am sure sony would rather you buy from the PS store (thanks to sales) than have you go to GameStop and buy some used games (also on sale).

Ardormor said:

There is no even small chance for Sony droping PS4 price to 149$ this year. In 2013 some websites reported that PS4 manufactering cost is 381$. After so many years it still wont be much lover than half of the intial manufactering cost (about 190$ now) They really dont need selling PS4 at lost now. 

Also the PS5 wont get the 199$ price point for a very long time, just look after PS4 - the suggested price is now 299,99MSRP, so hoping PS5 will get a 199$ in the near future is just "best wishes" 

And comparing PS1 or PS2 prices (at the end of their lifetime) to PS4 situation is just wrong. The market and technology situation is so much different now than back then. 

I don't personally believe sony would drop the price of the PS4 to $199. I think they would sooner make a revised PS4pro and sell that at $299 than to drop the PS4 price to $199.

This is because I sincerely believe any doesn't want people buying thePS4 after thePS5is released, so they would do everything they can to push people towards buying the PS5.

I also think you missed the point of the comparison, I am saying; no one should expect the PS4 to sell another 20M+ after the PS5 has released unless the PS4 will also somehow be priced at under $199. If it remains at $299, and there is a PS5 DE at $399, you pretty much have to be stupid to still buy a PS4.

xMetroid said:

I dont get why some are diminishing the DS reaching 150 millions cause it's a "portable" while the PS2 only did it by going 99$ and people bought it for DVD player

User was warned for this post - SpokenTruth.

I think it has something to do with consoles typically being a "one per household" type device whereas a handheld is a one per user type one. Most homes would have "one" Tv available to be used or games and what not and in turn, only one game console plugged into it. Handhelds however are just bout for all the kids. 3 kids, three Nintendo switches/DS bought for each one. Unless you want them fighting over it and destroying it. Three kids, one PlayStation and one TV bought for them.

Also, sPokEntRutH

JRPGfan said:

this... I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that there will be a PS5 (digital) for 399$, when the base PS4slim is still 299$.
It cant be real that theres only a 100$ differnce.

Sony need a super slim PS4 asap, and they need to set price to 149$.
And continue to make them, to sell to regions where they wont go for a 400$ or 500$ console.

If sony doesn't drop the PS4 price at all this year, then their intention is clear, they do not want anyone buying them anymore. Keeping it at $299 would actually accelerate the sales of a $399 PS5 DE. Not only does it make anyone buying a PS4fo $299 look stupid, it also means that people that have a PS4 and want to get the PS5 can sell their PS4/PS4pro for as little as $150/$199 respectively and just be adding around $199 o that to get a PS5.

Sony has said they intend to make the transition to the PS5 the fastest ever in a new-gen, I think this is something people aren't noticing.

The same nonsense goes on today with Switch vs consoles. Let alone now because of Switch Lite, comparing Nintendo numbers against true current gen consoles is utter nonsense.

Besides, to almost everyone who has a console (PS or Xbox) having 1 or 2 handhelds round makes sense. Nintendo handhelds are the devices that usually share buyers with consoles.

No surprise handheld gaming is the only way to go for Nintendo.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:

The same nonsense goes on today with Switch vs consoles. Let alone now because of Switch Lite, comparing Nintendo numbers against true current gen consoles is utter nonsense.

Besides, to almost everyone who has a console (PS or Xbox) having 1 or 2 handhelds round makes sense. Nintendo handhelds are the devices that usually share buyers with consoles.

One would think this would be obvious. But yet, those comparisons keep coming up.

I mean, just looking at the Switch and the PS4, it's clear as day to see that those two consoles aren't in direct competition with each other. And then looking at the form factor, its also clear that they do not share the same use case.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
0D0 said:

One would think this would be obvious. But yet, those comparisons keep coming up.

I mean, just looking at the Switch and the PS4, it's clear as day to see that those two consoles aren't in direct competition with each other. And then looking at the form factor, its also clear that they do not share the same use case.

You, I and Shadow1980 who pointed out the same thing yesterday on my other thread are the few "nutters", I guess.

I gave up pointing that out many times, because whatever argument on the lines that Switch is not exactly the same as Xbox/PS is most of the time taken as hate speech.

God bless You.

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

JapaneseGamesLover said:
Imagine trying to shade the hardware numbers. In November Sony will have two consoles selling at the same time. Only PS2 managed to be relevant when PS3 launched. 7 years PS4 in the market and is doing great.

You might want to step out of that bubble.  The NES, which launched as the Famicom in 1982, wasn't discontinued in Japan until 2003.  That means it continued generating sales after the release of its successor (SNES), the release of its successors' successor (N64), and its successors' successors' successor (Gamecube).  (*say that 3x fast)  Even outside of Japan, it continued to generate impressive sales after the SNES released.

padib said:

The Switch is a home console. The only model of the switch that's a portable is the Switch Lite.

Many people own the Switch as their primary console for gaming.

The consoles compete for retail space and play time, they are very much competitors, they just play the game differently.

In the near future, you might not like it, but the concept of a home console won't even exist.

You see, when you start what you are saying like that, then everything else is wrong.

The Switch IS NOT a HOME CONSOLE

It can be used as a home console. And that right there is all the difference.

It doesn't matter if many people use it as their primary or only console. That's not our business and is subjective.

Speaking strictly factually and technically, what makes something a home console, and what makes it a portable/handheld?

I could answer this, but I am truly curious to see what you would say. Cause your answer could give me some insight as to why this concept seems to be so confusing.

Oh, and have you ever come across the concept of Direct and Indirect Competition? You probably should look it up if you haven't. But if you have, then I am really really curious to read what you have to say.

On another note, I guess by saying eventually we won't even have game home consoles anymore you are referring to game streaming right? I'm not gonna get into that, but I will say this. everything game streaming needs to have to "work" as well as it can has been there since 2011. Think about that.

Last edited by Intrinsic - on 14 August 2020

padib said:

Well, the only way to answer it is to ask you: Is it a handheld?

You know the answer: it's both. It can be held in the hand, it's portable, but it can also be docked and played at home like a regular home console.

So those who are right are those that say "It's a home console" or "It's a portable."

Those who are wrong are those who say "It's not a home console" or "It's not a portable". Those are the ones who lack perception because the switch is both.

Analogies to help you understand.

A square is both a square and a rectangle. Those who are wrong are them who say that a square is not a rectangle.

Light is energy and matter. Those who are wrong are them that say that light is not matter.

Ok. So the Switch is not a Home console, and its not a handheld. Its a hybrid console. Basically something that can be used as either of them.

Which means, again... its not a HOME console. But I didn't expect I would et a direct answer from you anyways. 

This is what I understand a home console to be. A home console is a set-top box that you plug into a wall for power and plug it into your TV. You have to have a TV for it to work, and it must always be tethered to the wall for power. Do you have an issue with this definition?

Now a handheld console, this is a device, designed to be carried in your hands and is portable. It does not require you to tether it to the wall case it has its own built-in power source, it also does not require you to plug it to a TV because it has its own built-in TV. You can take it out of the box and it already has everything to work as is without any other external factors. Do you have a problem with this definition?

Is it possible to plug a handheld into a TV too? Absolutely. Is it possible to take a home console and build an enclosure for it with a monitor and power source? Absolutely.

This is not a complicated thing at all. The switch can be used as a home console. But its just unreasonable, to say its one simply because it can be plugged into a TV, because that is the ONLY similarity it shares with other devices that are actually called home consoles. The Switch does not need a TV to work. The PS4/XB1/PS3/360/Wii/PS2/XB1/Gamecube...etc ALL do.

If you still can't see the difference, then I give up.

Intrinsic said:
padib said:

Well, the only way to answer it is to ask you: Is it a handheld?

You know the answer: it's both. It can be held in the hand, it's portable, but it can also be docked and played at home like a regular home console.

So those who are right are those that say "It's a home console" or "It's a portable."

Those who are wrong are those who say "It's not a home console" or "It's not a portable". Those are the ones who lack perception because the switch is both.

Analogies to help you understand.

A square is both a square and a rectangle. Those who are wrong are them who say that a square is not a rectangle.

Light is energy and matter. Those who are wrong are them that say that light is not matter.

Ok. So the Switch is not a Home console, and its not a handheld. Its a hybrid console. Basically something that can be used as either of them.

Which means, again... its not a HOME console. But I didn't expect I would et a direct answer from you anyways. 

This is what I understand a home console to be. A home console is a set-top box that you plug into a wall for power and plug it into your TV. You have to have a TV for it to work, and it must always be tethered to the wall for power. Do you have an issue with this definition?

Now a handheld console, this is a device, designed to be carried in your hands and is portable. It does not require you to tether it to the wall case it has its own built-in power source, it also does not require you to plug it to a TV because it has its own built-in TV. You can take it out of the box and it already has everything to work as is without any other external factors. Do you have a problem with this definition?

Is it possible to plug a handheld into a TV too? Absolutely. Is it possible to take a home console and build an enclosure for it with a monitor and power source? Absolutely.

This is not a complicated thing at all. The switch can be used as a home console. But its just unreasonable, to say its one simply because it can be plugged into a TV, because that is the ONLY similarity it shares with other devices that are actually called home consoles. The Switch does not need a TV to work. The PS4/XB1/PS3/360/Wii/PS2/XB1/Gamecube...etc ALL do.

If you still can't see the difference, then I give up.

It's like smartphones and tablets. They can run basically the same software, but they're still different devices. PS is a very different device compared to Switch, by all means while PS and Xbox are absolutely similar. They're the only true direct competitors.

Your last paragraph about the similarity case is so true and obvious.

But anyway, I might be crossing the line here in derailing the thread, so I'll gladly shut up. Sorry. This discussion will never end anyway.

God bless You.