Forums - Sony Discussion - Does PS5 have a good chance to win the launch season?

Will PS5 sell a lot more than the rival this Christmas?

Yes 93 73.23%

Not sure yet 16 12.60%

No 18 14.17%

Total:127
jenpol said:
I just wish Sony won't be too confident after the (Halo) delay. I could see them trying to push the PS5 price 50$ more because of the diminished competition.

I was thinking the same thing.  This could be the nudge for Sony to release their pricing first.  Then Microsoft can undercut the price and still provide Halo multi-player beta at launch and only delay the single player campaign. sneaky sneaky

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
melbye said:
Between PS5 and Series X, yes. Add Switch to that and absolutely not

I believe when he said the rival it was really just Series X (at most Series S as well).

Total sales perhaps PS5 could outsell Switch in the end (will take a very long time for us to have any idea), but this holiday it is possible that Switch sell on the Holiday more than PS5 will sell on the first year as a whole.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

melbye said:
Between PS5 and Series X, yes. Add Switch to that and absolutely not

Switch is absolutely irrelevant. It's already out and it's not a next gen console.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

JRPGfan said:
axumblade said:

Release date (though that's looking too likely given xbox series x is releasing in November but if Sony opt for a December release (which I don't see happening), it would give xbox a potentially significant headstart.
Stock (though Sony are calling for a pretty large release)
Price (I could see this being a factor)
Hardware issues (launch consoles often come with their own flaws, if the PS5 has any major issues, it might turn people off until it's fixed)
Xbox wildcard

(i don't have a better way to describe this but we do know both Sony and Microsoft are holding back on info, I personally don't know what they could reveal that could push them up like Halo did but it's worth noting at least).

At the sony event they showed PS5 games running on PS5s.
The same wasnt true for the xbox event.

I doubt theres hardware issues that'll pop up with the PS5.
Release date wont effect things much either, switch proved you can even release a console in say Q2, and in the end if anything its almost smarter to do so.
Stock shortages? again they put in more than 10m orders for the release window.

So basically apart from games, or price of the console, I dont much of anything could effect things now.
Lockheart is the only question mark, that might turn things around.

If lockheart is like 250$ and enough people that want a new gen, are fine with playing at 900p-1080p.... that might put on some pressure for sony.
Esp if the PS5 is priced on the higher end of things (instead of 499$ say 549$ or 599$).

Don't get me wrong, I still think the PS5 will definitely outsell the Xbox Series X but these are things that could impact the sales, most of which I already countered in my post. 

Consoles are notorious for having issues at launch. We can all hope that everything works out but until it actually releases, you can't really say the system will release without issue. 

Also, as you said, lockheart could be a factor as well.

Cerebralbore101 said:
0D0 said:

Good points on price and stock. Microsoft can get really aggressive with price and discounts. We'll see.

MS really likes to muddy the waters, so I could see Series S being sold on a payment plan. Something like paying $30 a month for two years, and you get XBL Gold, a diskless Series S, and Gamepass. That would come out to about $360 per console, but MS would probably talk about "value" from now until the end of time. Roughly 30% of console users have online subscriptions, so for most people XBL would be a waste of money. But a lot of people would buy into that, because they don't want to pay $300 upfront, or buy games.

I agree with your point but you seemed to do the math wrong and your price is too high.  $30/month for 2 years is $720, which would be too much for the Series S and GamePass combined.  When MS started All Access, they sold the One X, which was $500, for $28/month.  I would expect the Series X to be AT MOST $30/month and the Series S to be $20-25/month.  But I agree and fully expect MS to really push All Access for next gen as I feel that's a big way they can get customers, especially in North America.

SW-3707-5131-3911

Around the Network

The question for this post is not relevant worldwide, as the Playstation has such a huge lead over XBox in Europe and Japan that it's a no-brainer. The real question is in North America, since the XBox 360 crushed PS3 and PS4 is only a little ahead of XBox One there. Even with the Halo news, I still think XBox Series S/X has a chance against PS5 in NA, and think in any case both will sell out this holiday.

SW-3707-5131-3911

kenjab said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

MS really likes to muddy the waters, so I could see Series S being sold on a payment plan. Something like paying $30 a month for two years, and you get XBL Gold, a diskless Series S, and Gamepass. That would come out to about $360 per console, but MS would probably talk about "value" from now until the end of time. Roughly 30% of console users have online subscriptions, so for most people XBL would be a waste of money. But a lot of people would buy into that, because they don't want to pay $300 upfront, or buy games.

I agree with your point but you seemed to do the math wrong and your price is too high.  $30/month for 2 years is $720, which would be too much for the Series S and GamePass combined.  When MS started All Access, they sold the One X, which was $500, for $28/month.  I would expect the Series X to be AT MOST $30/month and the Series S to be $20-25/month.  But I agree and fully expect MS to really push All Access for next gen as I feel that's a big way they can get customers, especially in North America.

Was the X One all access bundle giving you Gamepass + XBL as well? If so, then I agree with your post.

The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

Xbox could have launched with Halo, Fable and Gears with Playstation launching only Knack 3 and Playstation would have still won.

Yes. Spiderman vs. no Halo at all. It's a no brainer at this point even if the pricepoints are alike.

The PS5 had a great chance to win the holiday season even if Halo wasn't delayed and they were $100 more expensive than the Lockhart model lol.