By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does PS5 have a good chance to win the launch season?

Will PS5 sell a lot more than the rival this Christmas?

Yes 95 71.97%

Not sure yet 18 13.64%

No 19 14.39%

Total:132

With the delay of Halo, I've heard Microsoft doesn't have much to show and I don't see much enthusiasm for the new Xbox. PS5 on the other hand had a quite solid show and a clear message of next gen means next gen, plus the huge following from PS4 fans.

It seems to me that PS5 will absolutely sell a lot more during this Christmas. Can I be mistaken on that? What can possibly go wrong?

EDIT: Because of those mentioning Switch, just clarifying this thread is about the two new next generation home consoles releasing this year that everyone on planet earth is talking about these days: PS5 and the new Xbox. Nintendo is not part of the discussion.

Last edited by 0D0 - on 03 September 2020

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network

Is this even a question anymore? I mean MS could still turn things around in the future, but at the moment I'm pretty much certain that Sony will dominate this Q4 with the PS5.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

PS5 was pretty much poised to win the launch window anyway, barring too high of a price. This will cement that dominance even further. The only way I think that Xbox has a good chance is if the Xbox Series X is $400 and the PS5 Standard Edition is $600. So it would basically be Gen 7 price differences at launch all over again.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

PS5 was going to sell more even before the halo delay..... the only thing that could stop that is it somehow costing $100 more than the Series X.

Well they could have stock shortages. Or Series S could be a huge hit, with Series X making up less than 20% of overall Xbox sales. Both scenarios are rather unlikely though. I give it 70% odds Sony will win the early launch season.

Around the Network

Even without a 10-12 month delay to Halo Infinate, the PS5 would still outsell the XSX, world wide.

hunter_alien said:
Is this even a question anymore? I mean MS could still turn things around in the future, but at the moment I'm pretty much certain that Sony will dominate this Q4 with the PS5.

That's exactly what I want to solidify. Is there anything else Microsoft could pull off?

Wman1996 said:
PS5 was pretty much poised to win the launch window anyway, barring too high of a price. This will cement that dominance even further. The only way I think that Xbox has a good chance is if the Xbox Series X is $400 and the PS5 Standard Edition is $600. So it would basically be Gen 7 price differences at launch all over again.

Barkley said:
PS5 was going to sell more even before the halo delay..... the only thing that could stop that is it somehow costing $100 more than the Series X.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Well they could have stock shortages. Or Series S could be a huge hit, with Series X making up less than 20% of overall Xbox sales. Both scenarios are rather unlikely though. I give it 70% odds Sony will win the early launch season.

Good points on price and stock. Microsoft can get really aggressive with price and discounts. We'll see.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Just from sheer momentum from PS4 it would be very improbable that Xbox would outsell PS5 on launch.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

0D0 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Good points on price and stock. Microsoft can get really aggressive with price and discounts. We'll see.

MS really likes to muddy the waters, so I could see Series S being sold on a payment plan. Something like paying $30 a month for two years, and you get XBL Gold, a diskless Series S, and Gamepass. That would come out to about $360 per console, but MS would probably talk about "value" from now until the end of time. Roughly 30% of console users have online subscriptions, so for most people XBL would be a waste of money. But a lot of people would buy into that, because they don't want to pay $300 upfront, or buy games.

Yeah it will sell more, but honestly I think both will sell all that they make and Sony will definitely have more.