By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does PS5 have a good chance to win the launch season?

Will PS5 sell a lot more than the rival this Christmas?

Yes 95 71.97%

Not sure yet 18 13.64%

No 19 14.39%

Total:132
Norion said:

It was already almost guaranteed but after today there's no more chances for Sony to fuck up so they'll win worldwide for sure but in specific countries like the US they might not.

eva01beserk said:
Now that the digital ps5 price is confirmed at $400. The Xbox dosent stand a chance not even in the US anymore. An series s is just not worth it.

mutantsushi said:
Sure, especially if as it seems the case, alot of PS5 games will offer 1080p performance mode.
XSX could also do so, but I'd imagine most who get top model will have 4K screens,
and as those don't seem available in smaller screens, dropping to 1080p would be poor experience.

What I'm not sure is how many additional sales MS might get from subscription installment/lease.
Seems reasonable for Sony to do so also, but they may not have all their cards ready for their offering.
Makes sense it would be PS5 exclusive (like their free offering atop PSPlus) ...could involve Epic too?

To you all:

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/09/16/playstation-5-launches-in-november-starting-at-399-for-ps5-digital-edition-and-499-for-ps5-with-ultra-hd-blu-ray-disc-drive/

PS5 digital in the long run will be more expensive than ps5 disc drive since you can't resell your old games with it anymore.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
Now that the digital ps5 price is confirmed at $400. The Xbox dosent stand a chance not even in the US anymore. An series s is just not worth it.

I do think the PS5 digital and even the Series X at $499 offer better value but a lot of people will just see $299 and go for it.

HoangNhatAnh said:
Norion said:

It was already almost guaranteed but after today there's no more chances for Sony to fuck up so they'll win worldwide for sure but in specific countries like the US they might not.

To you all:

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/09/16/playstation-5-launches-in-november-starting-at-399-for-ps5-digital-edition-and-499-for-ps5-with-ultra-hd-blu-ray-disc-drive/

PS5 digital in the long run will be more expensive than ps5 disc drive since you can't resell your old games with it anymore.

I agree that the disc drive PS5 is better value but many will just see the significantly cheaper price and pick that one. If someone doesn't sell or lend their games the digital one is a no-brainer however.

@HoangNhatAnh I'm not sure why that is directed (partially) to me, or how you are actually replying to my post which you quoted...
If you aren't actually wanting to reply to the points I raised, I'd appreciate you not quoting me in the future.
When I quote people I "trim" down their comment to whatever part I'm actually responding to (with necessary context),
but if you aren't actually responding to anything I wrote at all, it doesn't seem helpful to discussion to use quotes at all.

I've commented multiple times on how no-disc ensures they earn money back from $100 discount (more than drive price).
Of course many gamers are buying games digitally now even while owning a console with a disc drive, for whom this is pure win.
OTOH, some gamers buy discs for their collection and never sell them, so this isn't matter of price, they just want the drive, period.

Honestly I find that "deal" to be worst for XSS which is lowest spec option and one marketted at most budget conscious consumers.
They will be ones saddled with worst game buying options and spend more in long run, despite not getting full nextgen experience.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, it seems like this isn't really discussing the relative sales prospects in launch season. Whether or not anybody here's personal preference is drawn to one model or the other has little to do with that, there are all sorts of people with all sorts of preferences and financial budgets. Deals that are more expensive in long run but have short term advantage often end up with significant popularity, even if we think that is exploitative situation... it's certainly relevant to REAL SALES which AFAIK is the topic.

Can anybody answer my question on actual history of holiday season launch sales? I have vague idea MS has historically done better there than it's total sales overall, perhaps due to American market being more attached to idea of Christmas consumerism? But I'm not sure of the details there exactly. Doesn't seem fruiful to discuss without having that factual basis.

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 17 September 2020

Switch will be #1 this holiday.

⚠️ WARNED: Trolling (bait/deliberately ignoring OP/thread matter).

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 17 September 2020

As the OP wrote in top post of thread...

EDIT: Because of those mentioning Switch, just clarifying this thread is about the two new next generation home consoles releasing this year that everyone on planet earth is talking about these days: PS5 and the new Xbox. Nintendo is not part of the discussion.

That is, in order to win the launch season, you must participate in a launch during that season. Which does not include Nintendo, although nobody is stopping them from choosing to directly compete, they themselves publicly made clear their "blue ocean" strategy that does not embrace direct competition... yielding their unique platform offering which their fans enjoy.

Around the Network

100% :) PlayStation 5 - fantastic console with true "Next Gen"-Feeling (thanks new Controller-Features, the best SSD in the world and 3D Audio) + the best Games in Future, thats sure in my opinion :)

With the games showcased in the briefing that was dissapointing i dont think so

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Well this was answered quick.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-10-08-ps5-accounts-for-72-percent-of-us-next-gen-pre-orders

"72% of US next-gen pre-order customers chose PS5"

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.