Forums - Sony Discussion - Does PS5 have a good chance to win the launch season?

Will PS5 sell a lot more than the rival this Christmas?

Yes 93 73.23%

Not sure yet 16 12.60%

No 18 14.17%

Total:127
Xxain said:
PS5 will be 499. Get it out of your head that it will be lower. Sony needs to take no precautionary steps.

I agree. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
Xxain said:
PS5 will be 499. Get it out of your head that it will be lower. Sony needs to take no precautionary steps.

I can't imagine there being very many people predicting otherwise for the model with a disc drive, so not sure who you're aiming this at. The discless one on the other hand will be cheaper - the only question is by how much. At this point, anything over 399 is just going to kill the discless version, but bringing it down to 299 or even 349 sounds like a big sacrifice of profits (at least in the short term - in the long term, increased sales of digital games might make up for it).

eva01beserk said:
Dont think this anouncement changed much to be honest. Still got to remember that the x1 will still play all the games at least through 2021, so theres still no urgency to upgrade. Some games will require a ps5 day one. If sony still goes disc $500 and digital $400, they still will win by large margins.
Some are saying now that they want to undercut MS and go $450 and $400. But I really dont think they need to. Would be overkill if they did.
0D0 said:
Xxain said:

You're probably right.

I reckon Sony needs to be cautious about PS5DE price tag tho. Casual consumers will be tempted to compare PS5DE and S without bearing in mind their tech differences.

Zkuq said:
Xxain said:

I can't imagine there being very many people predicting otherwise for the model with a disc drive, so not sure who you're aiming this at. The discless one on the other hand will be cheaper - the only question is by how much. At this point, anything over 399 is just going to kill the discless version, but bringing it down to 299 or even 349 sounds like a big sacrifice of profits (at least in the short term - in the long term, increased sales of digital games might make up for it).

PS5 vs XBSX shouldn't be much of a concern. The hardcore (and internet bandwidth deprived) will be the ones going for the disc model for the most part. The hardcore understand more so how all of the consoles specs matter and what the software does with those specs matters a lot. 

PS5 matching XBSX at $499 is totally fine. Anything less is a bonus.

PS5 DE is the real concern because of XBSS. SNY cannot allow anymore than a $100 price gap. If they were thinking about a $50 sub for both units, they might want to leave PS5 at $499, and use a $100 sub to get PS5 DE down to $399 or lower. If SNY went ahead and made it $150 sub for PS5 DE, then it's basically game over, even with PS5 at $499.

The only concern there would be anyone knowledgeable enough to complain about why PS5 DE is $349 while PS5 is $499, even though the only difference is a $30-$50 4k BD drive. XB can get away with it because of the overall lesser hardware specs. SNY may not be able to create the same type of price gap without receiving backlash.

I'd say based on all this, you end up with a $499 PS5 and $399 PS5 DE. It's going to give XBSS some sales it otherwise wouldn't early on, but by holiday 2021, all SNY has to do is bundle some killer exclusives with PS5 DE to make up for the higher price vs XBSS.

Don't know. Both are good machines and will likely get one eventually, but for me they haven't showed anything that value for money as a reason why I need to buy a ps5.

if halo was released on launch that would've been a gamebreaking launch for xbox,
now there is no reason to buy xbox day one

Around the Network

If there is no issues with PS5 supply and it can launch on time, then it could grab a global win for the launch season. It's been a crazy year and hopefully inventories won't be a problem. Both systems will most likely sell out for the Holidays it just depends who will have the largest inventory available.

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 10 September 2020

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

EricHiggin said:
eva01beserk said:
Dont think this anouncement changed much to be honest. Still got to remember that the x1 will still play all the games at least through 2021, so theres still no urgency to upgrade. Some games will require a ps5 day one. If sony still goes disc $500 and digital $400, they still will win by large margins.
Some are saying now that they want to undercut MS and go $450 and $400. But I really dont think they need to. Would be overkill if they did.
0D0 said:

You're probably right.

I reckon Sony needs to be cautious about PS5DE price tag tho. Casual consumers will be tempted to compare PS5DE and S without bearing in mind their tech differences.

Zkuq said:

PS5 vs XBSX shouldn't be much of a concern. The hardcore (and internet bandwidth deprived) will be the ones going for the disc model for the most part. The hardcore understand more so how all of the consoles specs matter and what the software does with those specs matters a lot. 

PS5 matching XBSX at $499 is totally fine. Anything less is a bonus.

PS5 DE is the real concern because of XBSS. SNY cannot allow anymore than a $100 price gap. If they were thinking about a $50 sub for both units, they might want to leave PS5 at $499, and use a $100 sub to get PS5 DE down to $399 or lower. If SNY went ahead and made it $150 sub for PS5 DE, then it's basically game over, even with PS5 at $499.

The only concern there would be anyone knowledgeable enough to complain about why PS5 DE is $349 while PS5 is $499, even though the only difference is a $30-$50 4k BD drive. XB can get away with it because of the overall lesser hardware specs. SNY may not be able to create the same type of price gap without receiving backlash.

I'd say based on all this, you end up with a $499 PS5 and $399 PS5 DE. It's going to give XBSS some sales it otherwise wouldn't early on, but by holiday 2021, all SNY has to do is bundle some killer exclusives with PS5 DE to make up for the higher price vs XBSS.

True, and the BD drive difference should get cheaper in terms of industry cost quite quickly. Indeed, even a $100 difference just because a disc drive can be called nonsense for the picky ones.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

EricHiggin said:

Easy fix really. The PS5D can be marketed as a "subsidized" console. Kinda like how you have amazon fire devices. The machine can even be "ad-supported" if sony decided to take it there. Where when you log on you have a slightly more "ad active" home page than what you would otherwise have on the standard SKU. But that's even going too far. All they have to do is market it as a subsidized console being that the only way to buy content for it would be through the PlayStation store.

Everyone would get that.

0D0 said:

True, and the BD drive difference should get cheaper in terms of industry cost quite quickly. Indeed, even a $100 difference just because a disc drive can be called nonsense for the picky ones.

Like I said above, the marketing, if there's such a large discrepancy (anything above $50), would be to make it sound like the reason one is cheaper isn't because of a lack of a Blu-ray drive. The smart thing to do would be to instead make it clear that that version of the console is more subsidized because the PS store is the only way to get content on it. No used games...etc.

Intrinsic said:
EricHiggin said:

Easy fix really. The PS5D can be marketed as a "subsidized" console. Kinda like how you have amazon fire devices. The machine can even be "ad-supported" if sony decided to take it there. Where when you log on you have a slightly more "ad active" home page than what you would otherwise have on the standard SKU. But that's even going too far. All they have to do is market it as a subsidized console being that the only way to buy content for it would be through the PlayStation store.

Everyone would get that.

0D0 said:

Like I said above, the marketing, if there's such a large discrepancy (anything above $50), would be to make it sound like the reason one is cheaper isn't because of a lack of a Blu-ray drive. The smart thing to do would be to instead make it clear that that version of the console is more subsidized because the PS store is the only way to get content on it. No used games...etc.

Some would get it. I would understand, though I wouldn't exactly be happy per say. Digital is not an option for me even if I wanted the cheaper model. It has to be the disc based version. Since I understand the difference should technically be $50 at most, any more gap than that would be justifiably worthy of complaint. Now since I'm not one to complain in general, plus I understand the marketing and business decisions behind why they may do that, I wouldn't complain, but there's plenty of people out there who don't fully understand, or would just complain regardless.

We subsidized one but not the other, only helps those who want the digital version. Using the PS store as an excuse really ain't great because you're making it more obvious used games can't be shared. This was a major problem before the XB1 launch. You could also easily say SNY doesn't care about the hardcore gamer or gamer with poor internet. Remember what happened the last time a console company decided to screw over gamers with poor internet? PS5 digital is for those who have good internet and if you can't get that, we have another cheaper product for you, it's called the PS4...

Just pointing out a possible downside to making the gap too large. Maybe a blind eye would be turned to it, who knows? Just something they would need to take into account if they were going for a $100 gap or larger. Even worse perhaps if they try to bundle free games with the digital version to make it more of a value compared to XBSS. We'll see what they do though. Maybe they'll surprise everyone with $349 and $399, and then nobody will complain about anything.

LivncA_Dis3 said:
if halo was released on launch that would've been a gamebreaking launch for xbox,
now there is no reason to buy xbox day one

Seems like MS decided to put all their eggs in the Halo basket and hope for the best. If things worked out, it would've made for quite a strong launch for them, possibly gaining early momentum and keeping them in the next gen race. Instead, while it's not like they're completely screwed, they're going to be in a much weaker position at launch.

If this was the plan, they were taking quite a risk but they kinda had to. It's what they needed to go up against a PS5 launch and they're going to come up short. Luckily they have XBSS which will help, because without that, they would have needed a $399 XBSX to stand a chance against PS5.