By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does PS5 have a good chance to win the launch season?

Will PS5 sell a lot more than the rival this Christmas?

Yes 95 71.97%

Not sure yet 18 13.64%

No 19 14.39%

Total:132
DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:
I voted no, because Switch is a rival and will sell more.

That said, I think PS5 will do well. As the launch of the PS4 proved, the some fans of the PS-brand will buy the console purely on brand power, even if it is missing games and mostly has remasters. But the brand-expectation is, that the PS-platform will eventually deliver and they eventually did. So I see no reason why this gen the fans should have another assumption.

Did you read the OP or the moderator post? But please advise on how is switch LAUNCHING this Holiday.

Yeah. People didn't read the OP / read through the thread or choose to ignore because of reasons.

Hint: this thread has nothing to do with Nintendo.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Indeed, you aren't getting it. Business articles (i.e. writeups concerning the stock market) label Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft as rivals in the console market because they are.

Write-ups/stock market is describing them as they should b. And that's not a description I am against. Yes, they are all game consoles, they are all in the business of selling games. I am not disputing that.

RolStoppable said:

Previously, you made an analogy with cars by mentioning Ferrari and a Honda Civic which is off by miles. There's so little difference between the hardware and software prices of the three console manufacturers that putting them into separate categories is nonsensical. And because it's so nonsensical, people continuously have issues with your point of view.

With regards to my analogy, I don' think it's far off if you are looking at what I was looking at when I made it. They are both cars, they both get people from point A to B, they both use petrol. Bt that is where the similarities end. Ferraris doesn't sell less because there is a new honda civic on the market. If Ferrari is looking at rivals to consider things like power and price, they will not be looking at the Honda civic. They may look at the honda NSX, or Lambo...etc.

To put it in context here, If sony is making the PS5, they aren't looking at the power of the Switch or its hardware. they are not looking at the price of the switch. They are instead looking at what Xbox is doing. Yes, they both play games and the games (carry people from point A to B) and the games have same price (petrol), but one is civic and the other is a Ferrari. You can switch out Ferrari and Putin a ford ranger raptor/F150 in there.

I don't know why when it comes to this topic people just seem to want to generalize as if its all the same thing. But its simply not. As I said before, there is such a thing as direct an indirect competition. You can be in the same industry with other companies, even offering the same product, it doesn't mean you are in direct competition with others in that industry.

And again, if the PS and the Switch were in direct competition with each other, one doing well will always comes at the expense of the other. As is the case between the PS4 and XB1. And I think that alone makes this theory/point clear. If the one doing well doesn't affect the other, then they aren't in direct competition, hell, you may even call them complimentary.

RolStoppable said:

As for games in common between the consoles, there is much more overlap than what you want to admit. It's already hurting Sony in Japan (because AAA third party games are a lot less relevant there while previous PS-exclusive series have gone multiplat in the last few years) with the PS4 and it's only going to get worse for Sony with the PS5. Even your misguided qualifier that one company must succeed at the clear expense of another company is met by Switch.

Idk, sony has been hurting in japan long before the switch been released. Japan is a pro handheld market and has always been. I think japan is a bad example to use if you are trying to say switch is hurting PS sales in japan. And I can prove this...

In 7-10 years, the PS3managed to sell only 10M units in japan. In under 7 years, the PS4 has so far sold just over 9M in japan. That suggests that is not doing much better or worse than the PS3 before it. This also suggests that how its faring has nothing to do with the switch. Third parties in japan supporting the switch is simply because its the best selling platform over there. Japan is pro handheld.

You need further proof?

March 6th 2016: PS4 japan weekly sales, 28k
March 12th 2017: PS4 japan weekly sales 35k (a little over a week after the switch launched)
March 11th 2018: PS4 japan weekly sales, 27k

Still, think I am being misguided?

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

Did you read the OP or the moderator post? But please advise on how is switch LAUNCHING this Holiday.

I clearly considered the OP in my original post, just had a different point of view on the world, which I think I stated clearly enough.

Since then I am reacting to Intrinsics obviously faulty claims.

Funny you post this: EDIT: By the way, if the mod team is wondering why it is so hard to build a Xbox-community here: the same shit happens to Xbox. Here we have an example of a thread that poses a question and just "happens" to forget that Nintendo has a console too, and find then new reasons of the day, why the Switch isn't counting. In the same way we see XBox-games disregarded. "This is released on PC, so it doesn't count. This is a timed exclusive, so it doesn't count. This one doesn't count, because I say so. And Minecraft doesn't count, because it is only played by bloody casuals. So as you can clearly see, Xbox *obviously* has no games."

Because you are ignoring a moderator warning given on the thread, and trying to highjack a thread that isn't about Nintendo to make it about Nintendo just because you want it that way. This thread is about which of the 2 launching systems will win, so even if you wanted Switch to be a direct competitor (and I won't discuss this to not derail the thread) you would already be on the wrong. I'm pretty certain you would be pissed if I entered in a Switch thread asking if Switch would have a good release back then and saying it didn't matter because Playstation 4 would sell much more than it, because yes that wouldn't anywhere relevant to the thread.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Mnementh said:

There are always disclaimers. I am fully aware of it. I for one are the fastest person worldwide(*) running the 100m distance.

(*) Well, obviously Usain Bolt doesn't count, as he is a professional, and I am an amateur. We do not compete directly. I would think this was obvious. Rivals for me are like the ones, which win does come at the expense of my wins. So people from germany. Obviously born in the 70s. With the username Mnementh on VGChartz. As you can see it is obvious, that I am the fastest. People like Usain Bolt are maybe competing on the same distance, but not for the exact same kinda audience, the same format.

I don't know why saying this (something that I think is clearly obvious by the way) always seems to ruffle feathers.

EDIT: By the way, if the mod team is wondering why it is so hard to build a Xbox-community here: the same shit happens to Xbox. Here we have an example of a thread that poses a question and just "happens" to forget that Nintendo has a console too, and find then new reasons of the day, why the Switch isn't counting. In the same way we see XBox-games disregarded. "This is released on PC, so it doesn't count. This is a timed exclusive, so it doesn't count. This one doesn't count, because I say so. And Minecraft doesn't count, because it is only played by bloody casuals. So as you can clearly see, Xbox *obviously* has no games."

That whole disclaimers and fastest runner thing is silly.... 

and I don't get.. we are talking about winning the launch season. Last I checked only two consoles are launching this year. 

But I am guessing you are saying that the witch launch or at least its equivalent launch days should be compared as well? I don't see why that shouldn't be acceptable. Like a first two months of release can be counted as the launch window.

Intrinsic said:
Mnementh said:

There are always disclaimers. I am fully aware of it. I for one are the fastest person worldwide(*) running the 100m distance.

(*) Well, obviously Usain Bolt doesn't count, as he is a professional, and I am an amateur. We do not compete directly. I would think this was obvious. Rivals for me are like the ones, which win does come at the expense of my wins. So people from germany. Obviously born in the 70s. With the username Mnementh on VGChartz. As you can see it is obvious, that I am the fastest. People like Usain Bolt are maybe competing on the same distance, but not for the exact same kinda audience, the same format.

I don't know why saying this (something that I think is clearly obvious by the way) always seems to ruffle feathers.

EDIT: By the way, if the mod team is wondering why it is so hard to build a Xbox-community here: the same shit happens to Xbox. Here we have an example of a thread that poses a question and just "happens" to forget that Nintendo has a console too, and find then new reasons of the day, why the Switch isn't counting. In the same way we see XBox-games disregarded. "This is released on PC, so it doesn't count. This is a timed exclusive, so it doesn't count. This one doesn't count, because I say so. And Minecraft doesn't count, because it is only played by bloody casuals. So as you can clearly see, Xbox *obviously* has no games."

That whole disclaimers and fastest runner thing is silly.... 

and I don't get.. we are talking about winning the launch season. Last I checked only two consoles are launching this year. 

But I am guessing you are saying that the witch launch or at least its equivalent launch days should be compared as well? I don't see why that shouldn't be acceptable. Like a first two months of release can be counted as the launch window.

Let's make a thread for it then.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network

For those that want to discuss including Switch launch to have all 3 system without derailing this thread:
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=243129

RolStoppable said:
Intrinsic said:

Write-ups/stock market is describing them as they should b. And that's not a description I am against. Yes, they are all game consoles, they are all in the business of selling games. I am not disputing that.

With regards to my analogy, I don' think it's far off if you are looking at what I was looking at when I made it. They are both cars, they both get people from point A to B, they both use petrol. Bt that is where the similarities end. Ferraris doesn't sell less because there is a new honda civic on the market. If Ferrari is looking at rivals to consider things like power and price, they will not be looking at the Honda civic. They may look at the honda NSX, or Lambo...etc.

To put it in context here, If sony is making the PS5, they aren't looking at the power of the Switch or its hardware. they are not looking at the price of the switch. They are instead looking at what Xbox is doing. Yes, they both play games and the games (carry people from point A to B) and the games have same price (petrol), but one is civic and the other is a Ferrari. You can switch out Ferrari and Putin a ford ranger raptor/F150 in there.

I don't know why when it comes to this topic people just seem to want to generalize as if its all the same thing. But its simply not. As I said before, there is such a thing as direct an indirect competition. You can be in the same industry with other companies, even offering the same product, it doesn't mean you are in direct competition with others in that industry.

And again, if the PS and the Switch were in direct competition with each other, one doing well will always comes at the expense of the other. As is the case between the PS4 and XB1. And I think that alone makes this theory/point clear. If the one doing well doesn't affect the other, then they aren't in direct competition, hell, you may even call them complimentary.

Idk, sony has been hurting in japan long before the switch been released. Japan is a pro handheld market and has always been. I think japan is a bad example to use if you are trying to say switch is hurting PS sales in japan. And I can prove this...

In 7-10 years, the PS3managed to sell only 10M units in japan. In under 7 years, the PS4 has so far sold just over 9M in japan. That suggests that is not doing much better or worse than the PS3 before it. This also suggests that how its faring has nothing to do with the switch. Third parties in japan supporting the switch is simply because its the best selling platform over there. Japan is pro handheld.

You need further proof?

March 6th 2016: PS4 japan weekly sales, 28k
March 12th 2017: PS4 japan weekly sales 35k (a little over a week after the switch launched)
March 11th 2018: PS4 japan weekly sales, 27k

Still, think I am being misguided?

Yes, still misguided. You give Switch only a year to establish itself as a console that is getting more and more former PS-exclusive series, plus you pick single weeks of data instead of longer timeframes. Fact of the matter is that PS4 sales in Japan dropped much sharper this year than anywhere else in the world, but COVID-19 lockdowns happened everywhere. What's your explanation for that?

Wth? 

I used three years of fo te switch. And I took weekly sales from how sales were in the launch period of the switch and compared that in every year.If I was trying to be funny I would have just taken the best weeks where thePS4 sold which isn't representative of the data i provided.

And why did I use just those three years? Because those were the years before the switch lite came to market and I couldn't find data for 2019.

I have shown you the data, and yet you are basing your own argument on nothing but more than your opinion. 

Fact of the matter that the PS4 sales is tracking similarly to the PS3 sales before it. And PS sales in japan has been poor for two whole generations now when compared to thePS2. And neither of that has anything to do with the Switch.

If I am misguided, pls kinda sow me any evidence that shows that the PS4 sales dropped off or isn't selling as it was because of the Switch. 

Intrinsic said:

But if you want us to actually get into it, how many of those shared games with the switch are AAA games? The CODs, Fifa, Maddens, NBA2k, Fortnite, Cyberpunk, AC, Watchdogs...etc. Basically the big AAA multiplats that drive console sales. 

Idk.... I am not gonna get into a debate about this, cause you may say I am delusional, but if you can't see that the PS4/Xbox doesn't share a library with the switch the way they share with themselves the maybe you arete delusional one.

Yeah, the Fifa, NBA2K, Fortninte, AC, The Witcher 3 (not Cypberpunk since it isn't released yet), the Doom, the Wolfenstein, are on the Switch indeed.

And for the second paragraph, its calling "changing the scope to be right", a common internet trick, but it doesn't work, your initial statement (Switch shares only 10% of its library with PS4 and Xbox One) was wrong.

I know the thread is done, but I had to do and edit on the OP about Switch.

Shame on all people mentioning Switch here.

PM sent

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 08 September 2020

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:
I know the thread is done, but I had to do and edit on the OP about Switch.

Shame on all people mentioning Switch here.

This thread was dead for 2 weeks, but yet you had to come back just to bump it with a note like this.....

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3