By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Q1 FY2020 (April-June) Results - PS4: 1.9m (LTD: 112.1m) | Best Quarter ever for PlayStation

People stayed home and spend money on PSN because of corona. Final Fantasy 7 Remake and The Last of Us Part II launching also were big movers. 74% digital software ratio is why they are comfortable releasing a digital only PS5. Hot damn way to end the PS4 era with a bang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

Damn impressive software numbers, but I think this could mean hardware is a bit overtracked.
VgChartz has it at around 111,9 mil at the end of June, which would only leave a 400k difference between shipped and sold. Even with low stock in some places (Japan in particular) than seems pretty low to me.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

So, VGC has sold units currently at 112.6 million as of July 25th and Sony has shipped units at 112.3 million units as of June 30th
After doing some math and crunching some numbers, I've got sold units at ~112 million on June 30th. So, that would leave ~300k still in retailers or in transit. Under normal circumstances, I'd think that would be way overtracked, but these are not normal circumstances for a number of reasons, so I don't think it's too far off the mark.

And those software numbers... Wow. Just, wow.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 04 August 2020

What a damn beast! And still #299! Thats insane.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Software numbers are absolutely insane. Super impressive
Having 3 massive hitters in the quarter definately did their part.

Though it looks like hardware numbers might not hit the heights in the end as most expected just a year ago, 9M forecast for the fiscal year tells me they're quickly facing out PS4 next year in favor of PS5.

~125M seems like a good bet at this point.

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:

So, VGC has sold units currently at 112.6 million as of July 25th and Sony has shipped units at 112.3 million units as of June 30th
After doing some math and crunching some numbers, I've got sold units at ~112 million on June 30th. So, that would leave ~300k still in retailers or in transit. Under normal circumstances, I'd think that would be way overtracked, but these are not normal circumstances for a number of reasons, so I don't think it's too far off the mark.

And those software numbers... Wow. Just, wow.

Can't comment for other countries but in Australia you can't buy a ps4pro for the last 2 months and slims are limited stock, I sold my ps4pro this week for more than I paid at launch.

45 million PS Plus users that's not bad.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Really insane Software numbers and PS plus gain of subs.

I thought Hardware would be higher. Could have been probably but they didnt want to up production at the end of its lifecycle with a new console coming. So I think PS4 is maybe a bit over tracked here but pretty close still.

With the ps4 reaching the end of it's life and the ongoing pandemic it's expected that the sell-through and shipped numbers would be much closer than usual.

$2.24B Operating Profit during the fiscal year they are launching a new system would be an impressive feat.

PS+ subs increasing from 41.5m last quarter to 44.9m this quarter is also impressive and surprising.

OP these could be included as well (from neogaf thread):

"18.1 Million units of Playstation First Party Software sold in Q1."
"45 Million PS Plus Subscribers."
"113 Monthly Active users."