By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Q1 FY2020 (April-June) Results - PS4: 1.9m (LTD: 112.1m) | Best Quarter ever for PlayStation

PAOerfulone said:

So, VGC has sold units currently at 112.6 million as of July 25th and Sony has shipped units at 112.3 million units as of June 30th
After doing some math and crunching some numbers, I've got sold units at ~112 million on June 30th. So, that would leave ~300k still in retailers or in transit. Under normal circumstances, I'd think that would be way overtracked, but these are not normal circumstances for a number of reasons, so I don't think it's too far off the mark.

And those software numbers... Wow. Just, wow.

I still think it's overtracked, because I can hardly believe only 300k are in transit right now. Ships need weeks to reach port, especially the European ones, where Sony is selling the bulk of their consoles. Considering the console is selling over 150k a week and about one and a half months of transit, I'd say the console is overtracked by 500K-700K.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 04 August 2020

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
PAOerfulone said:

So, VGC has sold units currently at 112.6 million as of July 25th and Sony has shipped units at 112.3 million units as of June 30th
After doing some math and crunching some numbers, I've got sold units at ~112 million on June 30th. So, that would leave ~300k still in retailers or in transit. Under normal circumstances, I'd think that would be way overtracked, but these are not normal circumstances for a number of reasons, so I don't think it's too far off the mark.

And those software numbers... Wow. Just, wow.

I still think it's overtracked, because I can hardly believe only 300k are in transit right now. Ships need weeks to reach port, especially the European ones, where Sony is selling the bulk of their consoles. Considering the console is selling over 150k a week and about one and a half months of transit, I'd say the console is overtracked by 500K-700K.

Yea exactly my thoughts, like it is supply constrained but they didn't stop producing them and shipping them rn so only 200/300k in transit/shelves is ridiculous imo. They whould have only 1 or 2 week worth of consoles out there. 

Edit: Posted wrong numbers, at time of this thread being created these were the actual VGC numbers.

Week Ending July 25th = 112.64m
Week Ending July 18th = 112.48m
Week Ending July 11th = 112.29m
Week Ending July 4th = 112.11m
Week Ending June 27th = 111.92m

So likely we have VGC at 112m for June 30th and 112.3m shipped, a difference of just 300k.

Last edited by Barkley - on 04 August 2020

Marth said:
  • Over $5.63B Revenue and $1.152B Profit between April-June 2020 (Q1 FY20)

For comparison Microsofts gaming revenue for this quarter was $3.357 Billion.

Nintendo's financials will be released in 2 days.

Those are massive financial numbers despise the HW sales

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Marth said:
  • Over $5.63B Revenue and $1.152B Profit between April-June 2020 (Q1 FY20)

Problem is that Microsoft gaming department isn't only about their console and not even only about gaming right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Barkley said:

Problem is that Microsoft gaming department isn't only about their console and not even only about gaming right?

I have no idea about "not only about gaming", but yes it includes PC.

Barkley said:
DonFerrari said:

I have no idea about "not only about gaming", but yes it includes PC.

I don't know what are currently in the department, but last time I looked they had surface sales and Android Royalties counted on the numbers, reason why it was hard to see what was Xbox revenue and profit. Nowadays I don't know, need to check.

EDIT:

More Personal Computing

Our More Personal Computing segment consists of products and services that put customers at the center of the experience with our technology. This segment primarily comprises:

• Windows, including Windows OEM licensing (“Windows OEM”) and other non-volume licensing of the Windows operating system; Windows Commercial, comprising volume licensing of the Windows operating system, Windows cloud services, and other Windows commercial offerings; patent licensing; Windows IoT; and MSN advertising.

• Devices, including Surface and PC accessories.

• Gaming, including Xbox hardware and Xbox content and services, comprising Xbox Live (transactions, subscriptions, cloud services, and advertising), video games, and third-party video game royalties.

• Search.

Selected Product and Service Revenue Constant Currency Reconciliation       

Three Months Ended June 30, 2020

Percentage Change Y/Y (GAAP)

Constant Currency Impact

Percentage Change Y/Y Constant Currency

Office Commercial products and cloud services

5%

2%

7%

Office 365 Commercial

19%

3%

22%

Office Consumer products and cloud services

6%

1%

7%

LinkedIn

10%

1%

11%

Dynamics products and cloud services

13%

2%

15%

Dynamics 365

38%

2%

40%

Server products and cloud services

19%

2%

21%

Azure

47%

3%

50%

Enterprise Services

0%

2%

2%

Windows OEM

7%

0%

7%

Windows Commercial products and cloud services

9%

2%

11%

Xbox content and services

65%

3%

68%

Surface

28%

2%

30%

Search advertising excluding traffic acquisition costs

(18)%

1%

(17)%

So from all it can be seem Xbox also had a very strong quarter.

Revenue in More Personal Computing was $12.9 billion and increased 14% (up 16% in constant currency), with the following business highlights:

• Windows OEM revenue increased 7%
  • Windows Commercial products and cloud services revenue increased 9% (up 11% in constant currency)
  • Xbox content and services revenue increased 65% (up 68% in constant currency)
  • Surface revenue increased 28% (up 30%in constant currency)
  • Search advertising revenue excluding traffic acquisition costs decreased 18% (down 17% in constant currency)  
Last edited by DonFerrari - on 04 August 2020

Barkley said:

VGC Sales (June 27th) = 111.71m
VGC Sales (July 4th) = 111.92m

Shipments (June 30th) = 112.3m

So VGC figures wise for June 30th we're probably looking at about 111.81m, meaning the difference between VGC estimates and shipped is around 500k. Not the 300k figure mentioned by people in this thread.

PS4 is not undertracked that's for sure. Overtracked a little bit? Quite likely, but it's not going to be overtracked by 500k+

We're in a global pandemic, excess stock of ps4 will be being reduced due to the PS5 launch, there isn't going to be 1m+ shipped consoles out there. 500k is low but it's not a crazy number.

Well it seems people must be getting their numbers from different places. I used the June 27 comparison chart and that has the PS4 at 111,94 mil as of June 27:

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/444321/switch-vs-ps4-vs-xbox-one-sales-comparison-charts-through-june-27-2020/

I said in my post 400k since I used that number as is. If you take the average between this and July 4 (112,14 by the comparison chart) you get 112-ish, so that's why people are saying 300k.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Well it seems people must be getting their numbers from different places. I used the June 27 comparison chart and that has the PS4 at 111,94 mil as of June 27:

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/444321/switch-vs-ps4-vs-xbox-one-sales-comparison-charts-through-june-27-2020/

I said in my post 400k since I used that number as is. If you take the average between this and July 4 (112,14 by the comparison chart) you get 112-ish, so that's why people are saying 300k.

I made a mistake with my numbers by subtracting the Week Ending July 4th from the July 4th number etc. So I was taking an extra week of sales off. These are the current VGC numbers:

Week Ending July 25th = 112.64m
Week Ending July 18th = 112.48m
Week Ending July 11th = 112.29m
Week Ending July 4th = 112.11m
Week Ending June 27th = 111.92m

Which means the difference between VGC sell-through and Shipped for June 30th is probably around 280-300k. So yeah the PS4 is almost certainly overtracked.

trunkswd said:

Barkley's numbers are right with what we currently have.

I don't think they were. xD