Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Q1 FY2020 (April-June) Results - PS4: 1.9m (LTD: 112.1m) | Best Quarter ever for PlayStation

With the ps4 reaching the end of it's life and the ongoing pandemic it's expected that the sell-through and shipped numbers would be much closer than usual.

$2.24B Operating Profit during the fiscal year they are launching a new system would be an impressive feat.

PS+ subs increasing from 41.5m last quarter to 44.9m this quarter is also impressive and surprising.



Around the Network

OP these could be included as well (from neogaf thread):

"18.1 Million units of Playstation First Party Software sold in Q1."
"45 Million PS Plus Subscribers."
"113 Monthly Active users."



PAOerfulone said:

So, VGC has sold units currently at 112.6 million as of July 25th and Sony has shipped units at 112.3 million units as of June 30th
After doing some math and crunching some numbers, I've got sold units at ~112 million on June 30th. So, that would leave ~300k still in retailers or in transit. Under normal circumstances, I'd think that would be way overtracked, but these are not normal circumstances for a number of reasons, so I don't think it's too far off the mark.

And those software numbers... Wow. Just, wow.

I still think it's overtracked, because I can hardly believe only 300k are in transit right now. Ships need weeks to reach port, especially the European ones, where Sony is selling the bulk of their consoles. Considering the console is selling over 150k a week and about one and a half months of transit, I'd say the console is overtracked by 500K-700K.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 04 August 2020

Marth said:

  • FY2020 Forecast : $23.4B Revenue & $2.24B Profit

This is incredible. Profit during the PS5 launch only highlights how confident they are.



Bofferbrauer2 said:
PAOerfulone said:

So, VGC has sold units currently at 112.6 million as of July 25th and Sony has shipped units at 112.3 million units as of June 30th
After doing some math and crunching some numbers, I've got sold units at ~112 million on June 30th. So, that would leave ~300k still in retailers or in transit. Under normal circumstances, I'd think that would be way overtracked, but these are not normal circumstances for a number of reasons, so I don't think it's too far off the mark.

And those software numbers... Wow. Just, wow.

I still think it's overtracked, because I can hardly believe only 300k are in transit right now. Ships need weeks to reach port, especially the European ones, where Sony is selling the bulk of their consoles. Considering the console is selling over 150k a week and about one and a half months of transit, I'd say the console is overtracked by 500K-700K.

Yea exactly my thoughts, like it is supply constrained but they didn't stop producing them and shipping them rn so only 200/300k in transit/shelves is ridiculous imo. They whould have only 1 or 2 week worth of consoles out there. 



Around the Network

Edit: Posted wrong numbers, at time of this thread being created these were the actual VGC numbers.

Week Ending July 25th = 112.64m
Week Ending July 18th = 112.48m
Week Ending July 11th = 112.29m
Week Ending July 4th = 112.11m
Week Ending June 27th = 111.92m

So likely we have VGC at 112m for June 30th and 112.3m shipped, a difference of just 300k.

Last edited by Barkley - on 04 August 2020

Marth said:
  • Hardware: 1.9m PS4 sold-in during Q1 FY20 (LTD: 112.3m)
  • Software: 91.0m games sold-in during Q1 FY20
  • Software digital ratio: %74% during Q1 FY20 (April-June 2020)
  • Over $5.63B Revenue and $1.152B Profit between April-June 2020 (Q1 FY20)
  • PlayStation Store had its biggest Revenue ever during Q1 with more than $3.67B
  • PlayStation Software & Services saw their biggest Revenue ever during Q1 with more than $4.89B
  • FY2020 Forecast : $23.4B Revenue & $2.24B Profit

Some impressive numbers there. And 74% digital almost mirrors Capcom's 80% reported recently.



Marth said:
  • Over $5.63B Revenue and $1.152B Profit between April-June 2020 (Q1 FY20)

For comparison Microsofts gaming revenue for this quarter was $3.357 Billion.

Nintendo's financials will be released in 2 days.



Those are massive financial numbers despise the HW sales



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Barkley said:
Marth said:
  • Over $5.63B Revenue and $1.152B Profit between April-June 2020 (Q1 FY20)

For comparison Microsofts gaming revenue for this quarter was $3.357 Billion.

Nintendo's financials will be released in 2 days.

Problem is that Microsoft gaming department isn't only about their console and not even only about gaming right?



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994