By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Official Xbox July Showcase 2020 thread

thismeintiel said:
Phil: Here at MS we hate moneyhats and think they are anti-consumer. Now, announcing our moneyhats.

God, this man is so two-faced.

Anyway, the presentation was meh. I don't think they took any wind out of Sony's sails. The actual gameplay we saw, especially for Halo, was hardly enough to justify bragging about having the power crown.

He was talking about deals like Destiny that walls off part of a game or a mode from other platforms. None of these deals qualify for any of that. He's never had an issue with timed exclusive games. Now, if some third party game launches on XSX with exclusive content over the PS4 version, then yeah it's a hypocritical stance. Xbox has done that this gen too, with CoD, The Division, others had timed exclusive DLC. FIFA IIRC had a mode exclusive to Xbone for awhile. But AFAIK those types of deals have been dead since he became the Xboss.

Around the Network

my rating: 4/10

I was really hoping to walk away reasonably impressed after this show, assuming MS would bring their A game, but that's not what I saw. I'm not going to bother much with game details because there's way more negatives than positives, which there were some positives, don't get me wrong. Though, with MS pushing Game Pass so hard, this showcase did certainly scream Game Pass to me. The guy with the grey hair and green jacket looked like he didn't even want to be part of the presentation, which connected with me because that's how I mostly felt afterwards. Looks like I'll be playing Infinite on PC, after MS actually polishes it or drops the price.

I also got the feeling that Lockhart is actually BS or has been cancelled. The way and manner in which MS promoted the XBSX in the show gave me the impression that it's going to be XB1 and XBSX and that's it. Which also makes me think MS will heavily subsidize XBSX. $400, maybe $500 tops. Now if Lockhart does end up launching, I can see it hurting XBSX sales more than MS may be ok with after seeing this showing, at least early on in the gen.

Alara317 said:
What a colossal disappointment. Halo looked ugly, State of Decay is a sequel to two trash games, Forza is....another Forza, etc.

The thing is, if these exact trailers were shown at a Sony presentation I'd be cautiously optimistic becuase Sony has a history of delivering. Microsoft hasn't really done much of note in a decade or so. I was really hoping that this Xbox Games Showcase would inspire me to care again, but all it did was remind me how little I can trust Microsoft. The same tenuous grasp on exclusivity, the same bullshit 'world premiere' declarations, the same gameplay-free trailers. So many of these games have potential, but nothing in this presentation or Microsoft's past made me think for a second that any potential will be reached.

Like, Everwild? That looks gorgeous! Rare has a tonne of skill behind them....but the last good game they made was Banjo Tooie. Grounded looks fun, but with how little we saw it was basically Honey I Shrunk the Keeds meets fortnite - a cool idea, but not enough when I have my imagination to fill in the gaps. too many of these trailers were cinematic trailers with minimal or no gameplay. And when all I have to fill in the gaps is my memories of all the other Microsoft games that looked or sounded good but ended up trash...well, it doesn't bode well for 'the most powerful console'.

and that Halo demo? Ouch. Not a fan of Halo in the first place, but it looked less like a next gen tentpole release and more like a generic third party rerelease of an Xbox 360 game. I swear Halo 4 and Halo 5 looked better. The only thing good about Halo was the grappling hook....so I get to be batman with guns! Pew Pew!

It's not a finished product but I agree Halo looked too cartoonish. I was expecting H5 with UHD textures and enhanced lightning and shading. I liked the very first mission specifically because you can see all the beams and fire and ships moving everywhere through snow, mist and smoke and it gives you a feeling so many things are happening at the same time (like in a real war) that you feel overwhelmed. 

Hopefully now people can see that frame rate and resolution isn't interchangeable with graphic fidelity.

Playing games at 8k 120fps sounds impressive until you see that I'm playing pac-man.
I really do wish these consoles targeted rendering at 1440p with some intelligent 4k up-scaling like we see with Nvidia's DLSS 2.0 just so we can get the best of both worlds, but that's not as marketable as just saying 4k.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
KiigelHeart said:
Mr_Destiny said:
In conclusion, 60+fps graphics will never look as realistic as 30fps graphics.

Probably not on still images but in motion 60fps looks so much better even with worse graphics. It's worth the sacrifice for better gameplay experience.

Nah, I want better graphics. Don't really see a major difference between 30 and 60 fps. Except that the character animations in the remastered Uncharted games now look a little unnatural because of the faster frame rate.

Disappointing. I would never buy an xbox based on that presentation. Nor would I be willing to buy a series s based on what was or wasn't show. At this point I don't know what's so different about xbox one x or series x. And considering the first 2 years games are made to run on both, probably explains why we won't get a technical showcase of what next gen gaming is about, for xbox, besided a resolution/fps jump..

It was pretty similar to the Sony thing. Both had a couple of tentpoles, one or two "middle tier" surprises, and a lot of fluff that only a fringe group will be interested in.
Not enough to make me jump ship, as expected. Obsidian is the only thing of theirs I'd like to have on the Playstation roster.
Also, what was up with those Halo graphics?

Dante9 said:
KiigelHeart said:

Probably not on still images but in motion 60fps looks so much better even with worse graphics. It's worth the sacrifice for better gameplay experience.

Nah, I want better graphics. Don't really see a major difference between 30 and 60 fps. Except that the character animations in the remastered Uncharted games now look a little unnatural because of the faster frame rate.

Ah the "30fps is more cinematic and 60fps is unnatural" argument. I guess it's still alive then lol. I think it's impossible not to see a major difference between the two. 

twintail said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

He was talking about deals like Destiny that walls off part of a game or a mode from other platforms. None of these deals qualify for any of that. He's never had an issue with timed exclusive games. Now, if some third party game launches on XSX with exclusive content over the PS4 version, then yeah it's a hypocritical stance. Xbox has done that this gen too, with CoD, The Division, others had timed exclusive DLC. FIFA IIRC had a mode exclusive to Xbone for awhile. But AFAIK those types of deals have been dead since he became the Xboss.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-07-10-are-xbox-series-x-developers-being-held-back-by-xbox-one

10 July 2020, according to Spencer:

Sorry, I am a bit soapboxy with this one. Gaming is about entertainment and community and diversion and learning new stories and new perspectives, and I find it completely counter to what gaming is about to say that part of that is to lock people away from being able to experience those games. Or to force someone to buy my specific device on the day that I want them to go buy it, in order to partake in what gaming is about.

This is the discussion he was referring to:

"I don’t know what deals get written. I’ve been pretty open about, I’m not a fan of doing deals that hold back specific pieces of content from other platforms. You don’t see that in the deals we’ve done with Assassin’s and Shadow. We’ll have a marketing deal on those, but I don’t say, hey, I need some kind of Strike or skin somebody else can’t play. “

Which is completely irrelevant to the quote you posted, which was about their own first party games. And these other games aren’t locked out from PS5 owners, they’re only timed exclusive. 

I know better than to try to argue out of context and cherry picked Phil Spencer quotes on teh Chartz though, y’all have fun :)