By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Official Xbox July Showcase 2020 thread

zealen said:
sales2099 said:
It’s weird how Nintendo “won” e3 by showing a logo for Metroid Prime 4 but Xbox gets nailed for CG trailers.

Since when did gameplay become a requirement? Horizon FW was in engine and I don’t recall much backlash as say Forza is getting. I didn’t need to see gameplay of Avowed to be blown away...because Obsidian is a master at their craft. Fable and Hellblade 2 gameplay would have been nice, but we know Hellblade 1 was awesome and Fable will at the very least have the charm of its legacy games.

It’s almost like people just buying themselves time to hate on Xbox, because these are all games that have a high chance to actually deliver once released.

How do you sell a new system if you don't show its capabilities? 

From a sales standpoint I think it was very weak. Didn't make me want to buy a new console, didn't make me wanna play almost anything. Halo showed us some minutes of gameplay which will be available on the current gen.

They marketed Series X as the most powerful console, where did they show that? They could've AT LEAST show some Hellblade 2 gameplay.

"But Halo was never about great graphics" "Halo is about gameplay". Ok, then why you need the so called most powerful console? 

CG or not they are enough to get people excited. Again I don’t see where gamers decided it’s a mandatory requirement to show gameplay for every reveal. Avowed is a Xbox exclusive Skyrim with LOTR elements, that’s huge! But nope it’s trash because it’s CG. That makes no sense to me. 

As for Halo, you need the most powerful console to make Halo open world while hitting those resolution and FPS benchmarks. The open world aspects is a dream come true, they traded graphical fidelity for scale, and of course the gameplay is tight. So the game not impressing “graphics whores” isnt a big concern of mine. We just want a great Halo game and in that regard the trailer didn’t disappoint. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
I'm watching it now...
First on Halo Infinite, I have to say even Ratchet and Clank looked more impressive on the graphic technical side. I was underwhelmed =[, and sincerely didn't see the power of Series X being used from ground up. Face models itself didn't look better than even current gen games like TLOU2 or heck even GoT.
Will say that with State of Decay 3 I was a lot more impressed and it have a good looking demo presented. Not on the level of Horizon 2 Forbidden West imho, but well we need to see more on both, but so far it seemed good.
Phill Spencer can't get enough of his "the most, better, biggest, powerfull console yet" =p, strange that he says FM was captured fully in engine but didn't say the same for the previous 2 titles.
Forza looks great as expected, still is the single IP MS have been able to deliver with consistency on quality. It was a very short trailer so I'll wait DF comparison, if they make one, on how it and GT7 compares to one another, I expect the power advantage of Series X to give a leg up to FM.
Everwild is pretty but look like an Indie game, I would expect that from Double Fine (it matches with their point and click DNA) but for Rare that is a let down.
Tell me why looks like a fine 8gen game with cartoony texture for facial model. Won't blame it on MS since it is a third party that they got for temp or full exclusive.
Well Ori being updated to run 120fps isn't unexpected at all, but it is a pretty game with nice elements/artifacts.
Outer Worlds Gorgon for me doesn't even look like a good 8gen game.
Grounded is an interesting idea, doesn't look like a next gen game, but I know my son is thrilled for it and that I loved the movie. But I swear it was already released by the quantity of youtube video my son watched on it already.
Avowed looks like a proper next gen game and looking good by Obsidian (congrats on having 3 very good games developed at the same time), and no wonder it won't release on a current gen platform (despite being revealed within the timeframe of the crossgen for the next 2 years). But it don't have a reveal date, so may be just a early show-off.
As dusk falls seems a pretty nice indie with point and click or choice based system.
Hellblade 2 have a lot of potential, no date yet, but studio still isn't that big, let's see how it will unfold.
Psychonauts 2, underwhelming to cut it short.
Stalker 2 looks fine, but we didn't see what type of game is it going to be did we? But since it is timed exclusive (something Phil said he doesn't believe in but we will find people forgiving him), doesn't really matter much.
Warhammer 4000, lukewarm but since not MS studio not their fault, also timed exclusive.
Tetris effects, meeehhhhh, also not MS fault, but timed exclusive.
The gunk, liked the colors, but seem like a forgetable game, again not MS fault and also timed exclusive.
The medium, graphics look gen 8, but I really liked the idea of the 2 renders simultaneously, need to see how they will make that work in the gameplay and if you need to solve puzzles or challenges in on side or the other or both at the same time, or have enemies/traps coming differently on both and need to deal at same time. Good concept. Another timed exclusive, so doesn't really give leverage to MS.
Phantasy Star Online 2, lookf like a very good gen 8 game, and sure there is a good fanbase for it, not sure if it being free to play will help or not sales of XSX.
CrossfireX, not that impressive, but timed exclusive, so much for the rumors that Sony was buying Remedy =p
Fable didn't show much, but well it was very pretty, seems like the rumors were true and Playground will do a fine entry on it. And the userbase will be happy with it, they have been waiting for quite a good time.

The show in a whole doesn't really seem better than PS5 event, and even had only Halo gameplay everything else is trailer of cutscene, similar to sony reveal. So good guy Phill wasn't telling the truth on back to back gameplay or 3rd party exclusives being bad right?

I wasn't wrong when I said I didn't expect this show to be better than PS5 event.

Didn't someone get banned from this thread for saying the exact same thing?

sales2099 said:
zealen said:

From a sales standpoint I think it was very weak. Didn't make me want to buy a new console, didn't make me wanna play almost anything. Halo showed us some minutes of gameplay which will be available on the current gen.

They marketed Series X as the most powerful console, where did they show that? They could've AT LEAST show some Hellblade 2 gameplay.

"But Halo was never about great graphics" "Halo is about gameplay". Ok, then why you need the so called most powerful console? 

CG or not they are enough to get people excited. Again I don’t see where gamers decided it’s a mandatory requirement to show gameplay for every reveal. Avowed is a Xbox exclusive Skyrim with LOTR elements, that’s huge! But nope it’s trash because it’s CG. That makes no sense to me. 

As for Halo, you need the most powerful console to make Halo open world while hitting those resolution and FPS benchmarks. The open world aspects is a dream come true, they traded graphical fidelity for scale, and of course the gameplay is tight. So the game not impressing “graphics whores” isnt a big concern of mine. We just want a great Halo game and in that regard the trailer didn’t disappoint. 

I don't even know who you are, but based on your icon and this response alone...I think it's clear that Microsoft could piss in your breakfast cereal and you'd eat it up. Halo looked terrible, easily the worst looking thing in the entire presentation and you're trying to spin it like it's a graphical or performing marvel? Come on dude, you can't be serious. 

User was banned for this comment - Hiku

Last edited by Hiku - on 25 July 2020

Alara317 said:
sales2099 said:
It’s weird how Nintendo “won” e3 by showing a logo for Metroid Prime 4 but Xbox gets nailed for CG trailers.

Since when did gameplay become a requirement? Horizon FW was in engine and I don’t recall much backlash as say Forza is getting. I didn’t need to see gameplay of Avowed to be blown away...because Obsidian is a master at their craft. Fable and Hellblade 2 gameplay would have been nice, but we know Hellblade 1 was awesome and Fable will at the very least have the charm of its legacy games.

It’s almost like people just buying themselves time to hate on Xbox, because these are all games that have a high chance to actually deliver once released.

Nintendo has a 35 year legacy of quality, Metroid Prime is a critically hailed game franchise, and while Nintendo has low points, they have a whole lot more high points and have been knocking it out of the park ever since the Switch was released. 

None of the same things can be said of Microsoft. 

Again, these reveal trailers do not exist independent of the world they were shown to. There's a lot more that goes into whether or not something is impressive or not than just the trailers. Sure, the trailers are a huge portion of it, but you can't JUST assume the entirety of the reaction came from the trailers without any context. Microsoft has failed since 2010 with the last 5 years being the worst, Nintendo had a bad period but have been knocking it outta the park since 2017 and the last three  years have been some of their best. Worlds of difference between the two companies and their legacy and history. 

That’s a lot of talk to promote a double standard. If a Metroid Prime logo can be considered a megaton then full trailers should at least be sufficient to generate hype. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Alara317 said:

Nintendo has a 35 year legacy of quality, Metroid Prime is a critically hailed game franchise, and while Nintendo has low points, they have a whole lot more high points and have been knocking it out of the park ever since the Switch was released. 

None of the same things can be said of Microsoft. 

Again, these reveal trailers do not exist independent of the world they were shown to. There's a lot more that goes into whether or not something is impressive or not than just the trailers. Sure, the trailers are a huge portion of it, but you can't JUST assume the entirety of the reaction came from the trailers without any context. Microsoft has failed since 2010 with the last 5 years being the worst, Nintendo had a bad period but have been knocking it outta the park since 2017 and the last three  years have been some of their best. Worlds of difference between the two companies and their legacy and history. 

That’s a lot of talk to promote a double standard. If a Metroid Prime logo can be considered a megaton then full trailers should at least be sufficient to generate hype. 

If factoring in reality counts as a double standard in your mind, then I think you misunderstand the concept of a double standard. I'm holding both to the same standards, it just so happens to be that there's more to the equation than just the trailers themselves. you're the one reducing the arguments to justify your side.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
zealen said:

Still MS said it would be all gameplay right?

And nope, we have games bigger and looking better than Halo while being open world and 60fps even this gen.

Alara317 said:
DonFerrari said:
I'm watching it now...
First on Halo Infinite, I have to say even Ratchet and Clank looked more impressive on the graphic technical side. I was underwhelmed =[, and sincerely didn't see the power of Series X being used from ground up. Face models itself didn't look better than even current gen games like TLOU2 or heck even GoT.
Will say that with State of Decay 3 I was a lot more impressed and it have a good looking demo presented. Not on the level of Horizon 2 Forbidden West imho, but well we need to see more on both, but so far it seemed good.
Phill Spencer can't get enough of his "the most, better, biggest, powerfull console yet" =p, strange that he says FM was captured fully in engine but didn't say the same for the previous 2 titles.
Forza looks great as expected, still is the single IP MS have been able to deliver with consistency on quality. It was a very short trailer so I'll wait DF comparison, if they make one, on how it and GT7 compares to one another, I expect the power advantage of Series X to give a leg up to FM.
Everwild is pretty but look like an Indie game, I would expect that from Double Fine (it matches with their point and click DNA) but for Rare that is a let down.
Tell me why looks like a fine 8gen game with cartoony texture for facial model. Won't blame it on MS since it is a third party that they got for temp or full exclusive.
Well Ori being updated to run 120fps isn't unexpected at all, but it is a pretty game with nice elements/artifacts.
Outer Worlds Gorgon for me doesn't even look like a good 8gen game.
Grounded is an interesting idea, doesn't look like a next gen game, but I know my son is thrilled for it and that I loved the movie. But I swear it was already released by the quantity of youtube video my son watched on it already.
Avowed looks like a proper next gen game and looking good by Obsidian (congrats on having 3 very good games developed at the same time), and no wonder it won't release on a current gen platform (despite being revealed within the timeframe of the crossgen for the next 2 years). But it don't have a reveal date, so may be just a early show-off.
As dusk falls seems a pretty nice indie with point and click or choice based system.
Hellblade 2 have a lot of potential, no date yet, but studio still isn't that big, let's see how it will unfold.
Psychonauts 2, underwhelming to cut it short.
Stalker 2 looks fine, but we didn't see what type of game is it going to be did we? But since it is timed exclusive (something Phil said he doesn't believe in but we will find people forgiving him), doesn't really matter much.
Warhammer 4000, lukewarm but since not MS studio not their fault, also timed exclusive.
Tetris effects, meeehhhhh, also not MS fault, but timed exclusive.
The gunk, liked the colors, but seem like a forgetable game, again not MS fault and also timed exclusive.
The medium, graphics look gen 8, but I really liked the idea of the 2 renders simultaneously, need to see how they will make that work in the gameplay and if you need to solve puzzles or challenges in on side or the other or both at the same time, or have enemies/traps coming differently on both and need to deal at same time. Good concept. Another timed exclusive, so doesn't really give leverage to MS.
Phantasy Star Online 2, lookf like a very good gen 8 game, and sure there is a good fanbase for it, not sure if it being free to play will help or not sales of XSX.
CrossfireX, not that impressive, but timed exclusive, so much for the rumors that Sony was buying Remedy =p
Fable didn't show much, but well it was very pretty, seems like the rumors were true and Playground will do a fine entry on it. And the userbase will be happy with it, they have been waiting for quite a good time.

The show in a whole doesn't really seem better than PS5 event, and even had only Halo gameplay everything else is trailer of cutscene, similar to sony reveal. So good guy Phill wasn't telling the truth on back to back gameplay or 3rd party exclusives being bad right?

I wasn't wrong when I said I didn't expect this show to be better than PS5 event.

Didn't someone get banned from this thread for saying the exact same thing?

Dunno, I'm still on page 5 of reading posts.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

twintail said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

He was talking about deals like Destiny that walls off part of a game or a mode from other platforms. None of these deals qualify for any of that. He's never had an issue with timed exclusive games. Now, if some third party game launches on XSX with exclusive content over the PS4 version, then yeah it's a hypocritical stance. Xbox has done that this gen too, with CoD, The Division, others had timed exclusive DLC. FIFA IIRC had a mode exclusive to Xbone for awhile. But AFAIK those types of deals have been dead since he became the Xboss.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-07-10-are-xbox-series-x-developers-being-held-back-by-xbox-one

10 July 2020, according to Spencer:

Sorry, I am a bit soapboxy with this one. Gaming is about entertainment and community and diversion and learning new stories and new perspectives, and I find it completely counter to what gaming is about to say that part of that is to lock people away from being able to experience those games. Or to force someone to buy my specific device on the day that I want them to go buy it, in order to partake in what gaming is about.

Crazy he would say this, knowing full well just 13 days later he would be presenting a bunch of moneyhatted exclusives. Like I said, two-faced. Whatever he thinks will make him look good at the moment, even if a complete lie.

Alara317 said:
sales2099 said:

I don't even know who you are, but based on your icon and this response alone...I think it's clear that Microsoft could piss in your breakfast cereal and you'd eat it up. Halo looked terrible, easily the worst looking thing in the entire presentation and you're trying to spin it like it's a graphical or performing marvel? Come on dude, you can't be serious. 

Likewise, people come out of the woodwork when Xbox shows something it seems ;)

I’m a huge Halo fan, my concerns were a good story and tight gameplay coming off Halo 5. It didn’t disappoint. Art style confirmed to be inspired by Halo 1 and open world is a dream come true. Once I saw the video on YT 4K the looks were much cleaner. 

Was I underwhelmed at first by the graphics? Sure. Then again it’s 4K/60 FPS open world Halo. The IP was never known to push graphics (except Halo 4 which was a late gen game that used every drop of 360s hardware) so I’m happy it’s looks and feels like Halo. 

Alara317 said:
sales2099 said:

If factoring in reality counts as a double standard in your mind, then I think you misunderstand the concept of a double standard. I'm holding both to the same standards, it just so happens to be that there's more to the equation than just the trailers themselves. you're the one reducing the arguments to justify your side.

Not as one sided as you think. Metroid Prime is one of my favourite games of all time. The IP however has never as popular as it’s critical acclaim. Not on Mario or Zelda levels, not even close. So yes I am claiming double standard here. Not attacking Nintendo fans, I’m just using it as an example of a scenario that didn’t receive backlash. 

Trailers should be sufficient to generate hype, I wasn’t aware that the “council of gamers” had a secret meeting and decreed all trailers going forward must have a mandatory gameplay requirement to be acceptable. 

I LOVE GIGGS said:
While it wasn't stunning looking, Halo didn't look current gen at all. This clear detailed looking draw distance can't be achieved using current gen consoles. People need to keep in mind that it is a fast paced open world shooter with many enemies on the screen. It is not supposed to be the "screen shot" game of any generation. Halo 4 was a technical masterpiece when it launched but it never was a game where you stop for a second and admire the graphics. It was the overall fluid package.

The biggest surprise for me today was State of Decay 3. We knew they were trying to push this franchise to be AAA but I never thought they would reach this level this fast. Extremely impressed by the trailer. I hope the game would come close to this quality.

I was hoping to see Splinter Cell or Ninja Gaiden.

Day`s Gone is open world, run on current gen HW, is fast paced and have dozen more enemies at once, and still look fine even though using unreal engine.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."