By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Official Xbox July Showcase 2020 thread

sales2099 said:

Watched a 4K video of Halo and it looks much cleaner. That’s the word I think best describes it. The stream wasn’t the best quality.

Sacrificing a lot of power just be cleaner instead of pushing on other elements for image quality wouldn`t be my choice, but well you said you wanted more 4k60fps so it is a win for you.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

Day`s Gone is open world, run on current gen HW, is fast paced and have dozen more enemies at once, and still look fine even though using unreal engine.

It also runs 30fps and doesn't have split-screen. But most importantly, it's actually a finished product, not 8 minute gameplay demo. 

KiigelHeart said:
DonFerrari said:

Day`s Gone is open world, run on current gen HW, is fast paced and have dozen more enemies at once, and still look fine even though using unreal engine.

It also runs 30fps and doesn't have split-screen. But most importantly, it's actually a finished product, not 8 minute gameplay demo. 

XSX is 10x stronger than PS4 so putting the game to double framerate wouldn't be a problem. Halo is 4 months away from launch, and a demo can be tailored to look better and show only areas that they want you looking at, and even like that they weren't able to impress.

Besides that Day's Gone is a title from a team that was making portable games versus Halo being the biggest game from MS with all their resources available to it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

ArchangelMadzz said:

Hopefully now people can see that frame rate and resolution isn't interchangeable with graphic fidelity.

Playing games at 8k 120fps sounds impressive until you see that I'm playing pac-man.
I really do wish these consoles targeted rendering at 1440p with some intelligent 4k up-scaling like we see with Nvidia's DLSS 2.0 just so we can get the best of both worlds, but that's not as marketable as just saying 4k.

I bet some PS exclusives will be internally rendered at 1440p30fps and then temporal reconstructed to 4k30fps to push the most they can on the image quality.

DonFerrari said:
KiigelHeart said:

XSX is 10x stronger than PS4 so putting the game to double framerate wouldn't be a problem. Halo is 4 months away from launch, and a demo can be tailored to look better and show only areas that they want you looking at, and even like that they weren't able to impress.

Besides that Day's Gone is a title from a team that was making portable games versus Halo being the biggest game from MS with all their resources available to it.

And yet we still haven't seen how it will look once it's released. What we did see was classic Halo art style and gameplay with open world. 

If you think it was a mistake to show gameplay from earlier build, I can see where you are coming from. But to compare it to finished product is just stupid. Tailored demo would've been more impressive, but they have their hands full under difficult conditions right now.

Around the Network
KiigelHeart said:
DonFerrari said:

And yet we still haven't seen how it will look once it's released. What we did see was classic Halo art style and gameplay with open world. 

If you think it was a mistake to show gameplay from earlier build, I can see where you are coming from. But to compare it to finished product is just stupid. Tailored demo would've been more impressive, but they have their hands full under difficult conditions right now.

Sure we haven't seem, but it was MS intent to show it this way. And you tried to argue that it is because of being fast paced, 60fps, open world. I just countered showing a game from a studio with a lot smaller budget, with way more enemies, running on a current gen hw (10x weaker) that do it while not looking graphically underwhelming.

Final game may look better than Horizon 2 Forbidden West? Sure it could happen, but we can only judge by what we have (and was pointed to be a downgrade over their 2018 reveal) instead of giving a lot of excuses to it.

DonFerrari said:
KiigelHeart said:

Sure we haven't seem, but it was MS intent to show it this way. And you tried to argue that it is because of being fast paced, 60fps, open world. I just countered showing a game from a studio with a lot smaller budget, with way more enemies, running on a current gen hw (10x weaker) that do it while not looking graphically underwhelming.

Final game may look better than Horizon 2 Forbidden West? Sure it could happen, but we can only judge by what we have (and was pointed to be a downgrade over their 2018 reveal) instead of giving a lot of excuses to it.

Are you confused or something? Only thing I tried to argue was that your comparison was stupid. Finished game vs a demo. You can judge what you saw but it doesn't change the fact it's not the final product. 

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

Watched a 4K video of Halo and it looks much cleaner. That’s the word I think best describes it. The stream wasn’t the best quality.

Sacrificing a lot of power just be cleaner instead of pushing on other elements for image quality wouldn`t be my choice, but well you said you wanted more 4k60fps so it is a win for you.

Goal posts: Existing 

I tried digging em up, but the concrete hardened months ago ;)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Alara317 said:
What a colossal disappointment. Halo looked ugly, State of Decay is a sequel to two trash games, Forza is....another Forza, etc.

The thing is, if these exact trailers were shown at a Sony presentation I'd be cautiously optimistic becuase Sony has a history of delivering. Microsoft hasn't really done much of note in a decade or so. I was really hoping that this Xbox Games Showcase would inspire me to care again, but all it did was remind me how little I can trust Microsoft. The same tenuous grasp on exclusivity, the same bullshit 'world premiere' declarations, the same gameplay-free trailers. So many of these games have potential, but nothing in this presentation or Microsoft's past made me think for a second that any potential will be reached.

Like, Everwild? That looks gorgeous! Rare has a tonne of skill behind them....but the last good game they made was Banjo Tooie. Grounded looks fun, but with how little we saw it was basically Honey I Shrunk the Keeds meets fortnite - a cool idea, but not enough when I have my imagination to fill in the gaps. too many of these trailers were cinematic trailers with minimal or no gameplay. And when all I have to fill in the gaps is my memories of all the other Microsoft games that looked or sounded good but ended up trash...well, it doesn't bode well for 'the most powerful console'.

and that Halo demo? Ouch. Not a fan of Halo in the first place, but it looked less like a next gen tentpole release and more like a generic third party rerelease of an Xbox 360 game. I swear Halo 4 and Halo 5 looked better. The only thing good about Halo was the grappling hook....so I get to be batman with guns! Pew Pew!

So if the presentation was hosted by Sony it would have been somewhat good but since it was Microsoft it was a Colossal disappointment??? 
I kind of get your point tough Microsoft need to proove themself again.

But with that kind of reasoning, no matter what would have been shown, it feel like you would still have rated it as a Colossal disappointment because Microsoft.

zero129 said:
EspadaGrim said:
Yeah MS is dropping the ball man, no gameplay only teasers.

EspadaGrim said:

Are you for real?. Your agenda in this thread is pretty clear. Horizon was CGI we have had Cgi trailers here too such as fable if you want to go there.

Ratchet looks like a current gen game with warping. Something that could also be done on current gen machines with some loading times wow.

Dude I’m an Xbox fan that has nearly 400 games both XB1/360 I don’t have an agenda just because I was disappointed in this showcase where only one Demo was shown. FYI I loved the gameplay of Halo Infinite I just knew that people were going to trash it because of the graphics. Everwild looked gorgeous but we still don’t know how what the game is really about and what type of gameplay it will have.

Sony’s event didn’t impress me either at least when it came to 1st party offerings because there were really no surprises, but the 3rd party games shown were what made their show better imo.