By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Official Xbox July Showcase 2020 thread

Dante9 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:
Are people still having the frame rate argument?

Buy a 144hz monitor and move your cursor around. That's all you need to do. Seriously, that's it and you'll see.
(And if you have a 60hz secondary monitor and move it over to there the choppiness in comparison is kind of eye opening)

A cursor doesn't really do it for me ;)

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a good frame rate when it prevents the actual gameplay becoming choppy. I find that 30fps is sufficient for me in the action adventure genre, of course racing games and such are better with more fps. I guess 60fps does bring a little more "fluidity" or something like that across the board, but often it seems to come with this downside where the game looks less cinematic and more cartoony and gamey, and as a friend of realistic portrayal, I don't like that. So maybe more fps requires more frames for the same animation in order to keep it looking like realistic movement, and since animation doesn't scale, it becomes increasingly more erratic looking if the frame rate goes up from the level that the animation was originally made for.

Perhaps I'm the only person in the world that's bothered by this. Totally possible.

Hey I played TLOU2 on PS4 and didn't mind the 30fps. If I have to do it I will.

You're probably talking about TV's that interpolate frames which is awful and unnatural looking. As opposed to native high refresh rate. 

"Realistic portrayal" would be high FPS, as your eyes aren't the equivalent 30fps, that's objectively not true. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
src said:
MS's biggest missteps due to how early their dev pipeline is. Its truly a colossal issue.

Halo - 2020 (5 years in dev) (gameplay)
Crossfire - 2020 (???) (gameplay)
Medium - 2020 (???) (gameplay)
FM7 - early in dev (3 years in dev) (in engine)
Everwild - ??? (2 years in dev) (in engine)
Fable - ??? (1-2 years in dev) (CGI)
SoD3 - ??? (2 years in dev) (CGI)
Avowed - ??? (2 years in dev) (CGI)
Hellblade - ??? (3 years in dev) (CGI)
STALKER 2 - ??? (???) (CGI)

Only 3 games showed gameplay and the lead was underwhelming. Apart from that, MS has shown games that are very early in dev, despite said studios actually having a supposed decent amount of time in dev. They've effectively laid bare their entire software pipeline till like 2023/4, which begs to question how will their shows for the next few years be.

Wasn't Phil Spencer that promissed something like 3 or 4 games from Xbox Studios per year?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

CGI-Quality said:
hinch said:

Problem is noone is really making any new threads for any of the platforms so Gaming one is the default one for most people.

If we have more positive topics on games that people are excited about - i.e Fable and what it could be, what it will play like. Instead of being stuck in a big Xbox thread this site might be more popular. And pull in more people

So then we have a lot more clickbait threads and verses ones because that's what people talk about, especially in new consoles coming up.

It goes beyond what we talk about. For Xbox, it is generally any thread. Doesn't matter the game nor subject. I've watched the trend and have heard the complaints. This doesn't need to turn into a topic about it though, we're just going to do better going forward.

Problem is giving special protection to a thread because it is for Xbox, but probably the guys in your PM or similar complaining do similar behavior on Sony threads and there they don't even get a warning most of times.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
src said:
MS's biggest missteps due to how early their dev pipeline is. Its truly a colossal issue.

Halo - 2020 (5 years in dev) (gameplay)
Crossfire - 2020 (???) (gameplay)
Medium - 2020 (???) (gameplay)
FM7 - early in dev (3 years in dev) (in engine)
Everwild - ??? (2 years in dev) (in engine)
Fable - ??? (1-2 years in dev) (CGI)
SoD3 - ??? (2 years in dev) (CGI)
Avowed - ??? (2 years in dev) (CGI)
Hellblade - ??? (3 years in dev) (CGI)
STALKER 2 - ??? (???) (CGI)

Only 3 games showed gameplay and the lead was underwhelming. Apart from that, MS has shown games that are very early in dev, despite said studios actually having a supposed decent amount of time in dev. They've effectively laid bare their entire software pipeline till like 2023/4, which begs to question how will their shows for the next few years be.

Wasn't Phil Spencer that promissed something like 3 or 4 games from Xbox Studios per year?

It was 4-5 IIRC and that was their stated goal, he didn’t promise anything lol. Not sure why some of you always attach “promise” to everything these execs say. That was also pre-COVID and multiple big industry people have said 2021-2022 games are where you’ll really see the effect of the pandemic. They also told investors early in 2019 that they eventually wanted one AAA title every quarter. Either way there’s no reason to think they can’t do 4-5 games per year. This year is considered by a lot of Xbox haters to be a slow software year and they have Gears Tactics, Grounded, Wasteland 3, Flight Sim, Halo, Bleeding Edge, plus second party stuff like Ori and anything else they’re releasing this year for XSX launch that we don’t know about.

LudicrousSpeed said:
DonFerrari said:

It was 4-5 IIRC and that was their stated goal, he didn’t promise anything lol. Not sure why some of you always attach “promise” to everything these execs say. That was also pre-COVID and multiple big industry people have said 2021-2022 games are where you’ll really see the effect of the pandemic. They also told investors early in 2019 that they eventually wanted one AAA title every quarter. Either way there’s no reason to think they can’t do 4-5 games per year. This year is considered by a lot of Xbox haters to be a slow software year and they have Gears Tactics, Grounded, Wasteland 3, Flight Sim, Halo, Bleeding Edge, plus second party stuff like Ori and anything else they’re releasing this year for XSX launch that we don’t know about.

From a game every quarter to having trouble showing gameplay for their console releasing in less than 6 months... so when will those 4 games per year will come? By the end of the gen?

Around the Network

I hope we see Hellblade II sooner rather than later; it would suck if we have to wait til around this time next year to see gameplay. It's absence was my biggest disappointment.

That one has the potential to be my killer app and sell me on the XSX.

I hope we will see Hellblade 2, Flight Simulator and Gears Tactics in the August event. Some more Halo Gameplay and console price.

Are we going to use this thread as warm-up/wishlist for the rumored show on August (well Phil confirmed he is going to share more news in August, but didn't say it would be a show)?

curl-6 said:

I hope we see Hellblade II sooner rather than later; it would suck if we have to wait til around this time next year to see gameplay. It's absence was my biggest disappointment.

If I had to make an estimate right now, I'd say they'll show Hellblade II gameplay at E3 2021, and plan release for mid-late 2022.

Everyone is giving Xbox flak for lack of gameplay now, but E3 2021 will be the most important event of this gen, just like the E3 2014 hype storm basically carried PS4 through this gen.

Halo Infinite is meant to have Xbox hit the ground running, but it's having a few hiccups. It still makes sense for MS to focus on getting that ready and showcasing it, as it'll be that and most likely Forza Horizon 5 later as the year one titles for the system.

Even though they haven't done a great job showcasing 'next-gen' yet, I'm glad they're at least prioritising games that'll be playable in the near future.

Shaunodon said:
curl-6 said:

If I had to make an estimate right now, I'd say they'll show Hellblade II gameplay at E3 2021, and plan release for mid-late 2022.

Everyone is giving Xbox flak for lack of gameplay now, but E3 2021 will be the most important event of this gen, just like the E3 2014 hype storm basically carried PS4 through this gen.

Halo Infinite is meant to have Xbox hit the ground running, but it's having a few hiccups. It still makes sense for MS to focus on getting that ready and showcasing it, as it'll be that and most likely Forza Horizon 5 later as the year one titles for the system.

Even though they haven't done a great job showcasing 'next-gen' yet, I'm glad they're at least prioritising games that'll be playable in the near future.

I'm guessing there won't be a normal VGAs show this year due to the pandemic, but if they do an online version instead, maybe there's hope we could see it there, as it was revealed at last year's VGAs. But yeah, E3 2021 is a distinct probability, annoying though it would be to have to wait that long.

Being a UE5 game not held back by the Xbone, it should be a great showcase for the hardware which would help their current problem of boasting about power but not having anything that really justifies it.