By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Thoughts on 69.99$ games for Next Gen Consoles?

Thoughts on 70$ games next gen?

I'm happy with it, more money=better value 6 5.77%

I'm ok with it 26 25.00%

Don't like it, but will tolerate it 30 28.85%

Completely against it, won't tolerate it 42 40.38%

Total:104
Vodacixi said:
How can they have the balls to increase the prices of games when the current pricing is already unfair? Look at the PS Store prices. Digital games should be way cheaper for obvious reasons, yet they are exactly the same. They don't want to lower the prices in order to make even more money out of them. And now they want to increase the price even more on both physical and digital? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I find incredibly funny how people are trying to defend this bullshit with inflation, increased developement costs etc... when the truth is that gaming companies never play fair with customers and they always try to milk us in every way they can invent and imagine. This right here is nothing new: it's just them seeing if they can tighten the rope a little more. But I think this is the drop that fills the glass.

You say that the prices are unfair, but the reality is they're not. People are totally ok with paying those quantities, myself included. We should reconsider that, tbh, since it's getting out of hand. 76 dollars (tax included) plus any later DLC or expansion is a lot, didn't notice it until now. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Again.  Maybe you are right.  Maybe none of this is Sony's fault.  The PS3 lost Sony tons of money, but at least it wasn't their fault, right?  The PS5 can lose tons of money too, but hey, at least it won't be their fault.  Game prices go up and it's never Sony's fault, but they still bear all of the consequences.  

I'm not sure why you think it matters so much whose fault it is.  If their system fails again like the PS3, then blaming other companies won't magically make them succeed.

lol you're trolling me right?? 

I think you desperately need a lesson in how business and economics work.

But ya im done talking to you.  Like I said before, nothing you say makes any sense with no proof that game price increase is Sony's fault.  

You gotta be pretty 'special' to think Sony has control over the game prices for the entire video game industry *facepalm

Actually you replied to me and then changed the subject.  I'm just trying to get back to what I was originally talking about.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 06 July 2020

I would happily pay more for a quality game, if the game wasn't already raising the price in other ways: DLC, season passes, microtransactions. Games are fro a long time much more expensive than 70$. And it is highly ironic that we discuss this price hike for a game, that actually costs already much more and will continue to do so in the future. Look, you already can preorder NBA2K21 Legend Edition for 100$ and it is shock-full of microtransactions. So 60$ is already only a base price barely anyone is paying.

See Jim Sterling about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHSso2vufPM

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

As someone who rarely buys new games now because of the price, I just see that personal trend continuing. Games are already $69.99/$79.99 here in Canada and this just means we jump to $79.99/89.99. After tax, we're looking at over $100 per title. The list of games that are worth that, in my eyes, is very small.

Example from Amazon:

No problem for me, I wait for the games to be worth 50€

Around the Network
hush404 said:

As someone who rarely buys new games now because of the price, I just see that personal trend continuing. Games are already $69.99/$79.99 here in Canada and this just means we jump to $79.99/89.99. After tax, we're looking at over $100 per title. The list of games that are worth that, in my eyes, is very small.

Example from Amazon:

Yep, the upcoming Paper Mario is also listed at 79.99.
I hope it will 'only' go up to 89.99 next gen, however $70 translates to CAD 95 nowadays :/

I've been buying far fewer new games this gen as well. Start of this gen games were still CAD 54.99 or 59.99

Digital gets more enticing since you don't get the tax on top (for now) (Except in Quebec)
With 13% sales tax on physical games the difference keeps increasing. Next gen a physical game will be over $12 more.

https://www.cpacanada.ca/en/news/canada/2018-09-13-tax-on-digital-services
Under the current tax rules—which allow foreign companies, like those mentioned, to avoid paying sales tax because they don’t have a physical presence in Canada—the onus is on the consumer to pay. That means we should keep track of what we spend, reach out to the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA), and pay the tax we owe.

Sure, I'll get right on that. 

All the companies known for lootboxes will surely try to push this as the shadow of lootbox regulations looms over their heads and they need to keep making more profit to keep shareholders happy.

Video games have costed roughly the same since like the 90s, so really it is not that bad that they went up slightly with inflation. I don't like it but it is an unavoidable reality. 60$ in the 90s is worth more than 70$ in 2020

I will also say that I have already seen some 70€ games here in Europe several years ago. They were not common and if you looked for other retailers you could usually find them at the more usual 60€, but they existed

Of course, here is where I also mention that the 60/70€ price is including taxes, which I don't think is the case with US pricings? (then again 1€ is like 1.1 USD so it balances out I suppose)

hush404 said:

Example from Amazon:

Well im not sure how old you are so not sure if you remembered when some SNES games were +$100 CAD, and that was like during mid 90s, which would be around $150 CAD now with inflation.  So paying $100 a game again wouldn't be surprising.  But it still sucks big times.

Canadians had it good last gen (PS3/360) as our dollar was better and our systems/games were the same price amount as the US.

V-r0cK said:
hush404 said:

Example from Amazon:

Well im not sure how old you are so not sure if you remembered when some SNES games were +$100 CAD, and that was like during mid 90s, which would be around $150 CAD now with inflation.  So paying $100 a game again wouldn't be surprising.  But it still sucks big times.

Canadians had it good last gen (PS3/360) as our dollar was better and our systems/games were the same price amount as the US.

I was living in the Netherlands at the time and I remember Nintendo cartridges being sold for up to 250 guilders at Fame on the Dam square (1998) The shop is gone now, there is a bank in its place. I used to get my Laserdiscs there at 80 to 90 guilders a piece. The guilder (doesn't exist anymore either) was worth about $0.52, so around $45 for a Laserdisc and up to $130 for (imported) Nintendo games.

I spend close to a 1,000 guilders a month at that store in movies and games.

No wonder they went bankrupt after I left the country :)