By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Thoughts on 69.99$ games for Next Gen Consoles?

Thoughts on 70$ games next gen?

I'm happy with it, more money=better value 6 5.77%

I'm ok with it 26 25.00%

Don't like it, but will tolerate it 30 28.85%

Completely against it, won't tolerate it 42 40.38%

Total:104

I think if it were to prevent mandatory practices like day one DLC and microtransactions it would be OK. But since this is not going to be the case... If we consider that nowadays the "finished" version of a game can lack important story chapters (for single player mode) and a Season Pass can cost up to 40 dollars, we are virtually paying 100 usd for a game.

And for multi-player, even worse than selling X weapon for Y amount of in game mine that converts to 10 usd and give the player an unfair advantage against others, it's the loot boxes that are a gamble mechanism.

Around the Network

How can they have the balls to increase the prices of games when the current pricing is already unfair? Look at the PS Store prices. Digital games should be way cheaper for obvious reasons, yet they are exactly the same. They don't want to lower the prices in order to make even more money out of them. And now they want to increase the price even more on both physical and digital? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I find incredibly funny how people are trying to defend this bullshit with inflation, increased developement costs etc... when the truth is that gaming companies never play fair with customers and they always try to milk us in every way they can invent and imagine. This right here is nothing new: it's just them seeing if they can tighten the rope a little more. But I think this is the drop that fills the glass.

As long as Ninty doesn't start charging $70 for 720p titles, I'm cool. Already dealt with the steep N64 price tags back in the day. I understand that the cost of making games has increased greatly since the early 00s.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

StuOhQ said:
As long as Ninty doesn't start charging $70 for 720p titles, I'm cool. Already dealt with the steep N64 price tags back in the day. I understand that the cost of making games has increased greatly since the early 00s.

The difference is the cartridge itself. Manufacturing them and putting games inside them were more expensive than on cd. 

BraLoD said:

Prices here already scalated from 200 to 280.

It should raised alot again if that happens.

Probably to 350.

Dolar exchange ratio have been a bitch.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

All the games i buy are worth more than retail price. If a AAA is great, i'd pay easily up to a $100 and get my moneys worth. Some games are so good the devs deserve more money, more money to them/publishers might mean more games.

I will tolerate it because I have no choice

But I don't like it. 70 USD might now be expensive for an north american, but it's damn expensive for me

Combine this with your yearly subscription service. Then your $500 Next gen console will turn to $1000 real quick.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

BraLoD said:

Prices here already scalated from 200 to 280.

It should raised alot again if that happens.

Probably to 350.

It's terrifying to think 3 years ago a game was about 20% (already fairly high) of the minimum wage 

And now it's on the verge to go as high as 35% lmao

Putting a price on entertainment can be a bit tricky. How much entertainment is gained in any given amount of time and how much is it worth is probably based and valued by the individual receiving it. There are base amounts of dollars for some entertainments that we can go by.

I've seen new blu-ray movies going for $30 plus and 4k in the same range or higher. That will buy you about 3 hours worth of entertainment and you can watch it again for another 3 hours. You can also lend it out and someone else can also get that same 3 hours worth of entertainment. Video games are usually longer and also offer replay value.

A half and half usually goes for $200. That is half oral and half bumping uglies. Depending on staying power that could hit an hour, but if you haven't experienced this professionally before, you aren't going to last even half that long. It's great when done by someone who is trained to do it. Is it worth it? There is no replay.

Single day at Disney World cost to ride the rides for a single individual is a little over $100 and most of that time will be in a waiting line (loading screen). Also no replay value.

Games made today (not all games but plenty) are created with replay and continued play in mind. You can throw away entire months, years, and half decades away, all for a low cost. Based on previous generation game play times versus current generation gameplay times, there is an obvious increase. I lost over 26 months in ESO, and only paid 20 dollars. I've bought Diablo III for PS3, PS4, Xbox One, and Switch, I've spent more for that game than I have any other, yet Borderlands and Skyrim comes close. Of all of those I have yet to platinum any of them, much less put a dent in them. Yet the dollars I've pumped in have not came close to the amount of entertainment that they have delivered.

I usually know what I'm buying or gonna get out of a purchase before I throw out the Benjamins. If you told me I could purchase Diablo 4 today for $150 with all the content that will ever be put into it right now I probably would buy it. Same goes for any other game, but I like to know up front what I'm going to get.

A 20 hour game with no replay value I probably wouldn't even purchase to begin with, but if I did I wouldn't pay over $60 on release, in fact I would probably wait for a special.

Another game I paid less than $30 for was Minecraft. It was worth every penny and then some. I can't put a price on it. I will probably go back to it again in the future. I don't know the amount of hours of pleasure that game has provided me nor the amount of my life that I owe to it. It helped me quit smoking cigarettes in 2014. This is a game that I would gladly have paid over a $1000 for.

I will not be shocked by any game price in the future but I would like it if publishers were up front about what you are going to get. I don't put prices on joy or ecstasy and feel like if you can provide it, I can pay for it.

Life is short enough as it is and it has never been more true now with this weird ass 2020 year. Don't worry about price if you can avoid it, just enjoy it while you are here to do so.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.