By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much do you care about the graphical leap between consoles at this point?

And this is one of the problems microsoft and Sony will have if they don't have next gen exclusives within the first year. A very slow uptick driven by only hardware enthusiasts (like Pro and X1X) Its looking like MS won't have any series X exclsuives based on their words so the ball is really in Sony's court.

Around the Network
twintail said:
While graphics don't make r break a game for me (unless performance sucks), they are honestly a big thing when it comes to showing off a new gen.

I also disagree that diminishing returns is a thing. When Sony showed off Killzone ShadowFall, it was most definitely a massive leap in what we had.
I feel it will the the same, in relation to the SSD and just having more things happening.

When they showed it off, I didn't feel it, as the streaming quality was not quite optimal... When I got my hands on it it felt instantly that I plopped into next-gen. It was simply miles ahead of anything I had seen on the PS3 and the same is true for Ryse. I'm pretty much certain that's how we will feel when we get the first next-gen games as well. There are plenty of things to be improved technically and stylistically

And then there are the non-graphical aspects. Man, I used to be impressed by the crowds in Dead Rising on the 360. Then we had AC: Unity for the PS4/One. Can't wait what they will do on next-gen systems :D

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Shadow1980 said:
I do.

There's still so much that can still be done when it comes to game visuals. Better lighting. Better draw distances and less noticeable object/texture popping/"LoD-ing." Better animations. Better textures. Just better quality all around, and running at better frame rates and higher resolutions than what was the norm just a decade ago.

I remember a lot of people thinking this gen wasn't going to be much of an improvement over last gen. They were wrong. Sure, some games leave a lot to be desired even by the standards of this generation, but the best-looking games of this generation blow away even the best-looking games of last generation. And it's only going to keep getting better.

When it comes to gameplay, things are mostly just a series of general refinements (most old 3D games had lousy controls and bad cameras, something that's much more rare these days) and games coming up with specific gimmicks to distinguish themselves. We're still basically playing just the same kinds of games we did 20 years ago. The last time we saw a truly major leap forward in game design was the switch from 2D to 3D. Video games have as a medium been marked by evolution, not by frequent radical advances that fundamentally reshape the medium itself. And that's perfectly fine. I'm honestly cool with each successive generation having been basically "better graphics boxes." There's no need to reinvent the wheel.

(Referring to the bold) I have to disagree.  Almost every generation sees signficant avenues of gameplay open up, with generation 8 being the exception.  Generation 6 was the first time we could have open world action games like GTA 3 and Shenmue.  PS1 had a lot of limitations in the action/speed deptartment, and N64 had limitations on game size.  But Gen 6 games could handle both just fine, so we get open world action games.  In Gen 7, motion controls were one obvious new type of gameplay.  However the more important thing was that the internet became commonly used in games.  Mario Kart Wii was the first time I could play Mario Kart on the internet for example.  Internet gaming allowed new types of gaming on consoles.

But Generation 8 really had nothing.  It was just like Generation 7 but with better graphics.  Nothing new.  This is not rule.  It's the exception.  But Generation 8 was the most recent generation and it offered nothing new.  We expect nothing new now.  It's like we expect we're going to be bored at this point.  It's kind of sad.

Yes, but graphics do add up to making a better game. Processor limitations did come into play this generation, that's a fact. But man I remember booting up The Order 1886 and my jaws dropped. I know that not many people loved or even liked that game, but it blew me out of the water. I think gen 9 will actually be the generation where the lack of loading time, physics, and AI evolution will bring a whole lot to the table. 

Oh, and let's not forget that generation 8 was pretty heavy on how multiplayer evolved in games and how we consume them. It's not a very visible leap, but a leap none the less. 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Please sir, I want some more frames.

Frame rates are more important to me than PP effects and crazy resolutions. Games that look good but run like shit are meaningless. Interaction and living environments are more of a priority for me though, not much has happened in the last decade or so and no one seems to be really trying to improve this. Not to mention AI, it's high time that AI got a serious upgrade, most developers still rely on purely mechanical adjustments for difficulty. So I suppose my answer to the OP's question would be; a bit but less than certain other factors. I still like to be dazzled though, I remember being amazed at Uncharted 4 on my new TV, gorgeous level design and environments and fantastic lighting with HDR enabled.

Around the Network

Yes, but relative to what the device is trying to achieve. For example, what we got with the Switch is great for a hybrid system. PS5 and XSX I expect much more however.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

The biggest leap in graphics has yet to come with full ray tracing and the next gen consoles won't be up for it. Next gen won't be a big difference but the gen after that will be. The faked photorealism we'll get next gen will look like a joke against full RT in the generation after it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I'm with OP on this one. I feel the PS4 level of fidelity is good enough, if it never got better than that I'd be just fine. It really feels like it's going to be diminishing returns from now on. Of course it's nice to have more and more sprinkles on top every time, not going to complain about that :) Who knows, could be just that you get used to each generation so that you kind of get blinded to how it could be even better. Maybe after getting into the PS5 I'll start seeing the current graphics like I see PS3 graphics now..

Leynos said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

(Referring to the bold) I have to disagree.  Almost every generation sees signficant avenues of gameplay open up, with generation 8 being the exception.  Generation 6 was the first time we could have open world action games like GTA 3 and Shenmue.  PS1 had a lot of limitations in the action/speed deptartment, and N64 had limitations on game size.  But Gen 6 games could handle both just fine, so we get open world action games.  In Gen 7, motion controls were one obvious new type of gameplay.  However the more important thing was that the internet became commonly used in games.  Mario Kart Wii was the first time I could play Mario Kart on the internet for example.  Internet gaming allowed new types of gaming on consoles.

But Generation 8 really had nothing.  It was just like Generation 7 but with better graphics.  Nothing new.  This is not rule.  It's the exception.  But Generation 8 was the most recent generation and it offered nothing new.  We expect nothing new now.  It's like we expect we're going to be bored at this point.  It's kind of sad.

Gen 7 was also impressive with how many NPCs can be on screen at once. Why Dead Rising was so impressive. The other thing was massive set pieces like so many shooters that gen had massive giant enemies detroying a city. Bullestorm and Killzone 2 and Gears of War all did this.

I was just mentioning the big leaps: the internet and motion controls.  I definitely noticed that ability to fight a giant creature though.  You could kind of do this in Gen 6 with Shadow of the Colossus, but it was really a puzzle game.  Figure out how to get to the right spot and then press X to stab.  In Gen 7 you have games like Dark Souls where it's not a puzzle game anymore.  You are really just fighting a giant monster.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 08 May 2020

At this point I'm most interested in the raw processing jump rather than the graphical one. Especially in the AI department. It's 2020 and most NPCs/enemies behave just like they did 10, 15 or even 20 years ago. But I guess it will still take another generation until we see significant changes...