By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much do you care about the graphical leap between consoles at this point?

Just wondering if people still get all super excited about upgraded graphics at this point? For me personally it's hard to imagine getting that excited by the graphical difference between PS4/XBO graphics and PS5/XBS graphics. I haven't seen what the new systems will do yet, but how excited can you get for incremental improvements at this point.

To me its kinda like, oh great we already had hyper realistic graphics and now we have slightly more hyper realistic graphics..whoopee...

Hell, I thought graphics were getting pretty damn good on the Gamecube and Xbox haha, though I do appreciate the jump to HD. And I even appreciate the difference between the current home consoles and the Switch (and I am looking forward to the graphical upgrade of the next Nintendo system to put in on par and them some of the current home consoles with hyper realistic graphics, but I doubt I'd care much beyond the next gen ie Switch 2). When I look at say PS4 graphics I honestly think to myself, who cares about wanting better than this? Maybe that's why I only care about the Switch these days, freedom to play anywhere I want is much more important to me at this point than small upgrades in super realistic graphics.

Alright graphic whores...onslaught me with insults! ;p

Around the Network

0. We have long passed the diminishing returns. Graphic leaps are just getting smaller every generation. That is why generations are so much longer now. Before a new console could come out 5-6 years. Now it is closer to 7-8 years. I mean if you really want o mess with someone's head.

The Gap Between the N64 and the Wii is only 10 years. Yet the gap between Xbox 360 and Xbox One is 8 years.

Also, higher graphics are also taking so much manpower to make that big AAA games are dealing in numbers and will continue to do so as more companies are either priced out of the market or because they have to release less.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Not much. The fact of the matter is, once game developers adapted similar modern rendering engines that are PBR based and all use similar lighting, texture maps, etc., things became much less interesting but of course more efficient and more realistic.

What I expect from next gen is sharper resolutions and better frame rates and of course, gameplay for me is king. I don't care what games look like anymore, as long as I'm enjoying it that's all that really matters. Of course, there are people who want to push the boundaries of real time rendering in gaming to create more immersive realistic art, but I personally don't care much for it. If it's there, great! If not, also great! That's my approach to "better graphics".

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 07 May 2020

Dont care about graphics but I do care about how this tech can Improve the overall experience.

Can we get to a point in which every building has a inside? How about every model with same poloygon count? Open world games not taking 1 minute to load every death/fast travel

Things like that.

I do.

I have been playing FFVIIR and there are so much low textures and etc which would be less of a thing with more powerful hardware.

As as example:

Now there are obviously games that still manage to look fantastic but even those have issues from time to time.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 07 May 2020

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Quite a bit. I only have an Xbox One S and the jump to the Series X will be a substantial one. The more and more I see of Ray Tracing and it's implementation in games as well, the more impressed I become.

Not as substantial as OG Xbox to 360 or SNES to 64 but substantial non the less.

Meh. Graphics cannot be improved that much at this point, now what should be improved is performance.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Yes I do, I won't ever be as surprised as the first time I saw FF IX running, but yes I look forward to what graphics the next gen will bring us and I'm sure I won't be left behind. Every time I though it couldn't get better it did and a lot, even if I didn't notice at first but when after playing for a while on that gen and going back it was very much easy to see the difference.

And anyone that thinks graphics can't get better should see CGI thread about it. Also if graphics couldn't really improve we wouldn't be getting new gens.

Also I just hate the "realistic all look the same, there is no artistic vision, boring, easy to do, etc"

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 07 May 2020

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I still care though probably not as much as before.

Saying that, the PS4 and Xbox One are pretty dated hardware now. Although both can produce some nice visuals they are clearing holding back graphics development. Console gamers been so used to 1080P/30fps as baseline, its going to be a shock once people get their hands on those consoles where games at 4k (or upsampled) and higher fps are the norm.

Ready to get blown away by Sony's first party studios. God of War 2 and whatever Naughtydog has cooking up next after TLOU 2.

So yeah. If this generation was incremental update with new games I would be a late adopter and go full hard into PC upgrades.

Just look at this clip for Star Citizen, just amazing. If Mass Effect 5 could look like this.. hrrngh.

Mar1217 said:

The technical side talk have become the main points of each passing gen to understand the differences. The moment of magic where you could see this obvious leap between two generation is over since graphically, there isn't as much room to grow than it had at one point far long ago.

Tough, enhancements and changes can be made. It will never get the same initial feeling of discovery we had. It's the way it is.

I think most of these "wow" moments will have to pass by devs who actually wants to actualize visuals or other aspects that can advance in a meaningful way. Change the way we perceive certain aspects of a game.

Talk what you want but even games like Killzone Shadow Fall and Ryse of Rome showed the graphical jump in a very easy to see way, Infamous Second Son is even better at it.

Perhaps you think like that because you weren't actively seeing the release of the systems like PS2 and PS3 when the gap between end gen PS1 games like FFIX jump to launch titles of PS2 or GoW2 on PS2 to launch titles on PS3 weren't as massive as you would believe when trying to compare launch title of PS1 with end of life PS2, etc. Because sometimes looking behind it looks different than what it really was.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."