Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much do you care about the graphical leap between consoles at this point?

Even now we're at the end of the gen, I feel the gap between PS3/360 and PS4/Xbone was underwhelming. Current games do look better than last gen, but the gap is smaller than between prior generations.

Around the Network

While graphics don't make r break a game for me (unless performance sucks), they are honestly a big thing when it comes to showing off a new gen.

I also disagree that diminishing returns is a thing. When Sony showed off Killzone ShadowFall, it was most definitely a massive leap in what we had.
I feel it will the the same, in relation to the SSD and just having more things happening.

Couldn't care less. Same was true last generation.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Shadow1980 said:
I do.

There's still so much that can still be done when it comes to game visuals. Better lighting. Better draw distances and less noticeable object/texture popping/"LoD-ing." Better animations. Better textures. Just better quality all around, and running at better frame rates and higher resolutions than what was the norm just a decade ago.

I remember a lot of people thinking this gen wasn't going to be much of an improvement over last gen. They were wrong. Sure, some games leave a lot to be desired even by the standards of this generation, but the best-looking games of this generation blow away even the best-looking games of last generation. And it's only going to keep getting better.

When it comes to gameplay, things are mostly just a series of general refinements (most old 3D games had lousy controls and bad cameras, something that's much more rare these days) and games coming up with specific gimmicks to distinguish themselves. We're still basically playing just the same kinds of games we did 20 years ago. The last time we saw a truly major leap forward in game design was the switch from 2D to 3D. Video games have as a medium been marked by evolution, not by frequent radical advances that fundamentally reshape the medium itself. And that's perfectly fine. I'm honestly cool with each successive generation having been basically "better graphics boxes." There's no need to reinvent the wheel.

(Referring to the bold) I have to disagree.  Almost every generation sees signficant avenues of gameplay open up, with generation 8 being the exception.  Generation 6 was the first time we could have open world action games like GTA 3 and Shenmue.  PS1 had a lot of limitations in the action/speed deptartment, and N64 had limitations on game size.  But Gen 6 games could handle both just fine, so we get open world action games.  In Gen 7, motion controls were one obvious new type of gameplay.  However the more important thing was that the internet became commonly used in games.  Mario Kart Wii was the first time I could play Mario Kart on the internet for example.  Internet gaming allowed new types of gaming on consoles.

But Generation 8 really had nothing.  It was just like Generation 7 but with better graphics.  Nothing new.  This is not rule.  It's the exception.  But Generation 8 was the most recent generation and it offered nothing new.  We expect nothing new now.  It's like we expect we're going to be bored at this point.  It's kind of sad.

I'm expecting a Color Game TV to Atari 2600 leap.

Around the Network
hinch said:
DonFerrari said:

Yep, every new gen people say we hit the ceiling and nothing will impress us anymore, but they are always wrong. But well, some don't really care about graphics.

Yeah that's true.

And there's false misconception that better graphics =/= more realistic graphics. You can have better graphics and it will improve a games look, even with more stylized designs. Take Nintendo, hypothetically, if they decided to go power route for next gen for Switch 2.. you could have Mario running around in 4K with ray-tracing and it would look stunning.

Nintendo will make 4k games once I get a 4k tv.  So 2025.

Depends on the console really. If the console has other selling points, then I'm not too concerned about graphical leaps. But, if that's all that's new, then it should be significant.

I'm never going to say that "it's good enough" because that only breeds stagnation. But I hold artstyle over naturalism any day. Give the developer tools to create the look they want.

DonFerrari said:
Mar1217 said:

The technical side talk have become the main points of each passing gen to understand the differences. The moment of magic where you could see this obvious leap between two generation is over since graphically, there isn't as much room to grow than it had at one point far long ago.

Tough, enhancements and changes can be made. It will never get the same initial feeling of discovery we had. It's the way it is.

I think most of these "wow" moments will have to pass by devs who actually wants to actualize visuals or other aspects that can advance in a meaningful way. Change the way we perceive certain aspects of a game.

Talk what you want but even games like Killzone Shadow Fall and Ryse of Rome showed the graphical jump in a very easy to see way, Infamous Second Son is even better at it.

Perhaps you think like that because you weren't actively seeing the release of the systems like PS2 and PS3 when the gap between end gen PS1 games like FFIX jump to launch titles of PS2 or GoW2 on PS2 to launch titles on PS3 weren't as massive as you would believe when trying to compare launch title of PS1 with end of life PS2, etc. Because sometimes looking behind it looks different than what it really was.

Boy, if you think the jump between FF-9 and FF-10 wasn't impressive as to what they could already achieve early on then, I think this line of thinking is mute in the water.

Tell me of a game that could hope to match the graphical and atmospheric tension of REmake on the GameCube during the end of the PS1 era without having to look like a muddy pixel puddle with some ugly flat faced poorly textured model.

Sorry but current gens are not fighting in the same way to make you look at the advancement they've done anymore. It isn't a "in your face shock" .

That simply how I see it though. Subjective as it may be.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

I have not cared about grafix for a long time, since the second half of 200Xs, after that nothing has impressed me even though I play AAA games on Ultra.

Visit my eBay stampers store: eims-stampers

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.