By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much do you care about the graphical leap between consoles at this point?

hunter_alien said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

(Referring to the bold) I have to disagree.  Almost every generation sees signficant avenues of gameplay open up, with generation 8 being the exception.  Generation 6 was the first time we could have open world action games like GTA 3 and Shenmue.  PS1 had a lot of limitations in the action/speed deptartment, and N64 had limitations on game size.  But Gen 6 games could handle both just fine, so we get open world action games.  In Gen 7, motion controls were one obvious new type of gameplay.  However the more important thing was that the internet became commonly used in games.  Mario Kart Wii was the first time I could play Mario Kart on the internet for example.  Internet gaming allowed new types of gaming on consoles.

But Generation 8 really had nothing.  It was just like Generation 7 but with better graphics.  Nothing new.  This is not rule.  It's the exception.  But Generation 8 was the most recent generation and it offered nothing new.  We expect nothing new now.  It's like we expect we're going to be bored at this point.  It's kind of sad.

Yes, but graphics do add up to making a better game. Processor limitations did come into play this generation, that's a fact. But man I remember booting up The Order 1886 and my jaws dropped. I know that not many people loved or even liked that game, but it blew me out of the water. I think gen 9 will actually be the generation where the lack of loading time, physics, and AI evolution will bring a whole lot to the table. 

Oh, and let's not forget that generation 8 was pretty heavy on how multiplayer evolved in games and how we consume them. It's not a very visible leap, but a leap none the less. 

I've actually played fairly old games that both lack load time and have impressive AI.  The reason these things don't seem to exist right now is because of the focus on graphics.  We are past the point where impressive graphics can make a game better.  Instead we are at a point where the best graphics only make a game worse.  This is because development budgets are the really limiting factor and not machine hardware.  The more money that goes into developing graphics, the less there is for other aspects of the game.

Around the Network

I’m not fussed about graphics now, they’re pretty good for what it is now, but I would expect more consistent frame rates, and 60+ FPS in fast paced games/ shooters from now on also less huge FPS drops/freezing/crashing the game as showed in some games this gen, especially in large crowded areas like assassin creeds unity etc.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
hunter_alien said:

Yes, but graphics do add up to making a better game. Processor limitations did come into play this generation, that's a fact. But man I remember booting up The Order 1886 and my jaws dropped. I know that not many people loved or even liked that game, but it blew me out of the water. I think gen 9 will actually be the generation where the lack of loading time, physics, and AI evolution will bring a whole lot to the table. 

Oh, and let's not forget that generation 8 was pretty heavy on how multiplayer evolved in games and how we consume them. It's not a very visible leap, but a leap none the less. 

I've actually played fairly old games that both lack load time and have impressive AI.  The reason these things don't seem to exist right now is because of the focus on graphics.  We are past the point where impressive graphics can make a game better.  Instead we are at a point where the best graphics only make a game worse.  This is because development budgets are the really limiting factor and not machine hardware.  The more money that goes into developing graphics, the less there is for other aspects of the game.

That's a valid point. Hopefully, the evolution of development environments will mean that they will need to work less on better-looking products and focus their attention on other aspects of games. Time will tell if this is the case, though I think that a focus on faster memory and CPU's is a clear sign that big changes are coming Let's hope for the best. In many ways this generation was about perfectioning what was done thus far, and IMO they excelled at this.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

CGI-Quality said:
Darwinianevolution said:
Meh. Graphics cannot be improved that much at this point.

What? It's true, sort of.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

CGI-Quality said:
Darwinianevolution said:

What? It's true, sort of.

It isn't. Graphics aren't anywhere close to the ceiling.

Yeah, but at what point it doesn't make sense to pursue more graphics? Making great graphics is great and time consuming, and at certain point most people are not going to care above a certain level of detail. How viable is the continued increase of graphical capabilities after a while?

Around the Network

I am sure we will not see a another crazy evolution or ultra improvement not because the hardware is weak , but the requirement to achieve the goal is close and already achieved. We just need to improve performance, and focusing more on Smart AI for enemies, and NPC. Super fluid animation, crazy fluid weather effect , Seamless world transition and open world with extra detail full of living NPC. Also living , breathing world and super detail physics.

CGI-Quality said:

It is viable as long as the market seeks it (which it continues to).

Yes, people buy the Nintendo Switch for the 720p @ 30fps experience.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

CGI-Quality said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Yeah, but at what point it doesn't make sense to pursue more graphics? Making great graphics is great and time consuming, and at certain point most people are not going to care above a certain level of detail. How viable is the continued increase of graphical capabilities after a while?

It is viable as long as the market seeks it (which it continues to). Like I said, we're nowhere close to that point — be it financial or technical.

Besides, you said: "Meh. Graphics cannot be improved that much at this point". That is factually incorrect no matter what standpoint you take.

I meant it in the sense of deminishing returns. If a developer spends tens of thousands of man hours and millions of dollars to craft a game to be the most beautiful and graphical astonishing game ever made, it's not going to sell much more than a game that just looks great, and the difference in resources needed is clear. At some point, the investment ins not worth it, so why bother improving the graphics?

I don't particularly care for shinier graphics. It's never the reason I buy a console, I follow the games.

Signature goes here!

CGI-Quality said:
HollyGamer said:
I am sure we will not see a another crazy evolution or improvement not because the hardware is weak , but the requirement to achieve the goal is close and already achieved. We just need to improve performance, and focusing more on Smart AI for enemies, and NPC. Super fluid animation, crazy fluid weather effect , Seamless world transition and open world with extra detail full of living NPC. Also living , breathing world and super detail physics .

You have to know what the goal is before a proclamation like that can be made and you can't just improve performance without considering cosmetics. It is very much a system of 0s and 1s.

The goal is to achieve photorealistic graphic .which i can say current gen  already can do decent job. Game engine like Frostbite engine, Unreal, Capcom Resident Evil Engine with scanning etc already did fantastic job.