By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5's marketing feels worse than PS4, while Series X's marketing is better than Xbox One's.

If MS is somehow able to maintain this up until launch then that's some pretty flawless execution, so you can't help but wonder how positive is what's to come? Time will tell.

PS5 info dumps have been pretty bland and boring. They are still selling lots of PS4's though, so no reason to turn up the hype just yet, but respond nonetheless. Games.

Cerny 'soft announced' first, correct? It wasn't everything, but enough that it wasn't just a tease that told people nothing.

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:

Compared to their messaging in 2013 it feels like Sony is pivoting away from gamers and more towards developers. 

Well, that's at least for the moment. They're definitely taking their sweet time, but I don't doubt they'll be able to create a lot of excitement around the console as they've usually been able to. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Probably because MS caught Sony off guard with there impulse bombshells. Sony might of had to restructure there entire marketing campaign when they realized they didn't have the numbers game.

the-pi-guy said:

It doesn't help that Sony's first public discussion about PS5 was an hour long technical breakdown with very little for the consumer.

Maybe because this was the talk M. Cerny was supposed to give at GDC?

It has nothing to do with "a public discussion" at all. It had nothing to do with "the consumer".

You know, GDC is for people who are actually supposed to program the damn things. They more or less (yes there were a few "creative sidesteps" in his talk) got precisely what was announced.

Sony could have announced the stream with "If you are a gamerzzzzz, don't listen to it", but I'd reckon that would not have gone too well with said group.

Neither of them have actually started with marketing to the wider audience. The vast majority of people only cares about games and of that we haven't seen anything. Just remember why PS4 sold so much more than Xbox last gen, it was the exclusive games. I said it before but the specs of the PS4 are completely irrelevant. BC is completely irrelevant and so is the shape of the box or any OS features. As soon as they drop their actual game bombshells, people will make up their mind about which console to get and not a second sooner.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Then they seem to imply that PS5 will only have BC with around 100 PS4 games on release, while MS is teasing that the full XB1 library, including OG Xbox and 360 games, will be BC on Series X from day one, with enhancements like 4K and HDR that require no support from the original devs.

It's probably why xbox first party is so bare, they are probably all working on backwards compatibility :P

I am not to concerned about backwards compatibility but it would be nice to know if I can occasionally play some of my PS1 classics from the PS3 PSN or disc in the future.  Games after that don't matter that much to me because I think they age terribly.

the-pi-guy said:
drkohler said:

Maybe because this was the talk M. Cerny was supposed to give at GDC?

It has nothing to do with "a public discussion" at all. It had nothing to do with "the consumer".

You know, GDC is for people who are actually supposed to program the damn things. They more or less (yes there were a few "creative sidesteps" in his talk) got precisely what was announced.

Sony could have announced the stream with "If you are a gamerzzzzz, don't listen to it", but I'd reckon that would not have gone too well with said group.

You've missed my point here.  

I knew it was a GDC recording the day before and it was exactly what I was expecting.  

My point here is that Sony hasn't addressed gamers.  It would have been smart for them to announce some games before getting into the technical stuff like they did in 2013.  

granted it was GDC event, but why would you do a tech spec when your competition just did a tech spec reveal in a better way with superior hardware just a day before.. 

also if it was meant for the developers it should have been shadow dropped, like they did with wired article and not announce it on twitter.

shikamaru317 said:

Then they seem to imply that PS5 will only have BC with around 100 PS4 games on release,

How did you come up with this complete nonsense?

Apparently, in your strange little world, you would have forced Cerny to test all 123'456'789 games that exist?

shikamaru317 said:

Definitely feels like MS has caught Sony with their pants down. Maybe not to the same degree that they did in gen 7, but MS definitely caught them off guard. MS revealed a next gen game and the design of the console and controller 3 months ago. Sony has had 3 months to prepare. And what do they do after those 3 months? A technical deep dive designed for developers rather than gamers. Sony could have gone big, revealed a next gen game or two, shown the design of the console and controller, even announce the price tag. Instead we get 50 minutes of Mark Cerny putting people to sleep talking about specs, specs which come in under Xbox Series X in all areas but one I might add. Then they seem to imply that PS5 will only have BC with around 100 PS4 games on release, while MS is teasing that the full XB1 library, including OG Xbox and 360 games, will be BC on Series X from day one, with enhancements like 4K and HDR that require no support from the original devs. It’s no wonder that the PS5 reveal video is like 1/3rd dislikes.

IMO its not the case of ms caught sony pants down, its more like sony being overconfident that no matter how they put the message it will be a hit. But completely agree with you on all the points that Sony had three months to prepare, they could have nullified this tf war by making it a big event and showing off some cool demos.

PS. also about 100BC title, this was poorly conveyed by mark cerny.. what i understood is that there are three modes regular PS4, ps4 pro, and PS5 enhanced mode.. so when he spoke about top 100 ps4 titles he was referring to PS5 mode, just like PS4 pro early on had boost mode for regular ps4 games without patch.

vivster said:

Just remember why PS4 sold so much more than Xbox last gen, it was the exclusive games.

Nope, PS4 didn't have games in 2014, it was Xbox shooting themselves in the head that did it.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.