By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5's marketing feels worse than PS4, while Series X's marketing is better than Xbox One's.

Honestly I actually thought Sony's marketing was pretty good.

They knew early Microsoft would have the better console. So they focused on one area they could highlight a major step up from PS4, albeit an area where MS also has a major step up from Xbox One. They may even have altered the speed of their SSD as the cheapest viable way to create a point of difference.

They they lined up a bunch of current and former developers to say how great that is within a few hours of Cerny's presentation. And now plenty of people have decided on a dime teraflops don't matter.

How is that bad marketing?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
They're focusing on different things. Sony still has big games coming out. They aren't going to drown them out with non-stop PS5 talk. MS has nothing until XBX, so they really have no choice but to hype up next gen.

Even with its low key approach, Sony is swallowing the oxygen in the room. A logo reveal gained 5M+ likes in just a few days. Cerny's "boring" talk has gained more views and likes in less than 2 days than the XBX video from over a month ago. Did anyone even watch or talk about the stream MS put out on the same day as the Cerny talk? Cause the people I watch didn't.

You say that as they just released an amazing game this year in Ori Will of the Wisp..

Upcoming 1st Party Games due in 2020

Bleeding Edge
Gears Tactics
Minecraft Dungeons
Grounded
Wasteland 3
Tell Me Why
Halo Infinite
Psychonauts 2
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Battletoads

-thismeintiel "MS has nothing until XSX"
These titles are very likely to land this year.

-thismeintiel "Did anyone even watch or talk about the stream MS put out on the same day as the Cerny talk? Cause the people I watch didn't"
They didn't need to because they were already told info on the console way beforehand.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 21 March 2020

Marketing won't start until summer. MS and Sony will probably buy more studios between now and then.

At the moment the marketing is being done by fanboys who are dying for info to fight out their console wars.

Come summer, everything will look very different, especially as more devs start to talk about development, announce their games etc.

That being said, in terms of journalism (if we can call it that), it feels like the PS3 v 360 gen. IGNs stream and breakdown after the deep dive was horrendously one sided.

On the other hand, the tech breakdowns from NXG, review tech USA and others have been either balanced or giving sony the benefit of the doubt.

The time to launch will be interesting as we will see the craziest theories, measuring competitions etc. Forums will be back to life and the number of tech experts will increase across the internets. It might feel like the naughties again when this place was at its peak and the numbers led discussions.

starcraft said:

They knew early Microsoft would have the better console. So they focused on one area they could highlight a major step up from PS4, albeit an area where MS also has a major step up from Xbox One. They may even have altered the speed of their SSD as the cheapest viable way to create a point of difference.

They they lined up a bunch of current and former developers to say how great that is within a few hours of Cerny's presentation. And now plenty of people have decided on a dime teraflops don't matter.

Average gamers tuned in and were subsequently bored due to lack of showmanship. It’s not a big deal and something they can easily recover, but it could have been done better. Even a trailer or something to appease the masses would have gone a long way. 
PS fans weren’t eager to talk teraflops anyway...ssd fits the bill. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Yeah this was not good marketing.

Around the Network
drkohler said:

AMD (and probably Sony watching over it) had to make sure that the "new transistors" don't run havoc when they see microcode intended for old PS4 hardware.

wut

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

twintail said:
The reality is that now with this GDC vid of the way, we will most likely start seeing more consumer focused showings.

Seeing the features Cerny talked about with have examples would be cool.

A fast reaction after seeing the backlash on the GDC vid would be ideal.

sales2099 said:
starcraft said:

Average gamers tuned in and were subsequently bored due to lack of showmanship. It’s not a big deal and something they can easily recover, but it could have been done better. Even a trailer or something to appease the masses would have gone a long way. 
PS fans weren’t eager to talk teraflops anyway...ssd fits the bill. 

If sony marketing team monitored the reactions (not only the volume, since that would be much higher than Xbox) but the quality and think it wasn't as good as expected and that it can impact sales they can make some summary video with the features and some new stuff in week or two.

And as I said before for GDC it was fine and I also loved the video, but putting side by side with MS, MS seems to have received better reception.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Kyuu said:

The one "weighty" argument against PS5 right now is wccftech's article which has it that Sony is bullshitting about their innovative variable clockrates. Otherwise, the reception from developers and people in the know is so far looking so good, it's upsetting the haters to an amusing degree.

And they are doing that from purely speculative front.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."