By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5's marketing feels worse than PS4, while Series X's marketing is better than Xbox One's.

Microsoft: All hail our new beastly 12Tflops Series X!!!
Also Microsoft: Series X will not have any exclusives for 2 years

Yeah, great marketing strategy

Around the Network
goopy20 said:

Your comment is short and to the point, well said. I forgot to mention that's a huge reason it wont sell well, same reason why xbox X didn't sell a lot. People keep buying playstation because exclusives, even PC people will buy a ps4 just for exclusives and play 3rd party on their PCs. But xbox all games will be on PC, no exclusives at all. And it will probably cost like 600 dollars, so yeah good luck.

victor83fernandes said:
goopy20 said:

Your comment is short and to the point, well said. I forgot to mention that's a huge reason it wont sell well, same reason why xbox X didn't sell a lot. People keep buying playstation because exclusives, even PC people will buy a ps4 just for exclusives and play 3rd party on their PCs. But xbox all games will be on PC, no exclusives at all. And it will probably cost like 600 dollars, so yeah good luck.

Lockhart or PS5?

DonFerrari said:

Read again. PS4 BC on PS5 is as native as it can get when they put the logic of PS4 into the PS5 silicon.

No, it's actually the other way around. PS5 silicon was designed keeping in mind it also has to play nice with PS4 silicon. Cerny (more or less casually) mentions this in his talk. AMD (and probably Sony watching over it) had to make sure that the "new transistors" don't run havoc when they see microcode intended for old PS4 hardware. This is a bit difficult to explain as it actually constitutes a huge engineering problem. (What AMD really did I have no clues at all).

As the naive solution, the PS5 could just kill half its CUs and lower the clocks to 800MHz on the gpu side and lower the cpu clocks to maybe 6-700MHz which makes it look like the new PS5 SoC executes with the same speed as the old PS4 SoC. This will not work in many cases as the timings in the new SoC would/could be completely different. If the PS5 runs too fast, all hell could break loose because the old PS4 code was not meant to run that fast (particularly code which used gpu cycles for async compute stuff on the PS4). In that context, the "dumbest PS4 game" is probably the safest bet for full bc, because it doesn't do tricks. My guess is it's the 1% of "tricky games" that constitute 99% of all headaches. Apparently within the 100 most popular games tested, the chosen solution seems to work for almost all of them out of the box.

DonFerrari said:
starcraft said:

The issue is that you consider that a positive.

Sony have clearly decided to waive the white flag on pressing the boundaries with specs. They feel they can do this because PS4 sold so well. Their online GaaS offering is relatively poor. The PS3 was an overly-complex, hideously expensive machine that spent 2 years with no games because the PS2 sold so well.

On the other hand, Microsoft lost the current generation. This led them to:

1. Produce an immensely powerful console
  2. Develop netflix-for-games at insane value
  3. Put ALL their first party titles on that service day 1
  4. Purchase or build half a dozen new studios.

It would not be a good thing for gamers if Sony crush Microsoft next generation. Only for Sony shareholders.

I find it funny, not positive. It will be funny that after sales starts people bragging will just go away just like start of current gen.

Nope, Sony didn't waive any white flag, actually PS5 is pushing it much more than PS4 did, even Cerny admitted on the deep dive (that on PS4 they gone full off-the-shelf for making it easy to program) this gen they are trying to make it even easier to program but with a lot more custom parts. Also the SSD and 3D Audio are really pushing all the boundaries. Perhaps you don't care or like or consider the only spec boundary that is relevant is TFlop.

PS2 was very good for customers even with it crushing competition to an ammount PS5 wouldn't be able to, and this gen was also great even with PS4 selling 3:1 against Xbox.

I haven't seen anyone on VGC bragging, the stats are what they are.

The definition of 'pushing the boundaries' has to at least consider what the boundaries are. Given the Series X is clearly significantly more powerful, the PS5 cannot be considered the boundary. You can be damn sure Cerny would have had a different focus if last week Microsoft had announced lower CPU or GPU specs, or hadn't had vapour cooling.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
Skeeuk said:
theres no ps5 marketing yet as the console hasnt been revealed

That's my point.  

They've been publicly talking about the console for nearly a year.  And yet their gamer focused message has been cloudy at best:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/03/sonys_poor_ps5_backwards_compatibility_clarity_prompts_damning_headlines

Thus far PS5 is being presented as for the developer.  

In sharp contrast to the PS4, which day 1, as soon as they even acknowledged the existence of the PS4, presented it as a console for both developers and gamers.  

Leynos said:
That was a GDC talk not meant for us,wasn't really marketing to us but to devs.

Yes I'm aware.  But that's part of the problem.  

Not really a problem. MS just revealed XB early and yet the PS5 logo generated more buzz. NX was talked about forever but not revealed til October 2016 and we still knew almost nothing. 3 months before launch is when they gave us solid info. 52 million systems later...  . Once Sony shows a box and price it will generate more buzz than Xbox unless Sony pulls an Xbox One with odd restrictions that piss everyone off.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

drkohler said:
DonFerrari said:

Read again. PS4 BC on PS5 is as native as it can get when they put the logic of PS4 into the PS5 silicon.

No, it's actually the other way around. PS5 silicon was designed keeping in mind it also has to play nice with PS4 silicon. Cerny (more or less casually) mentions this in his talk. AMD (and probably Sony watching over it) had to make sure that the "new transistors" don't run havoc when they see microcode intended for old PS4 hardware. This is a bit difficult to explain as it actually constitutes a huge engineering problem. (What AMD really did I have no clues at all).

As the naive solution, the PS5 could just kill half its CUs and lower the clocks to 800MHz on the gpu side and lower the cpu clocks to maybe 6-700MHz which makes it look like the new PS5 SoC executes with the same speed as the old PS4 SoC. This will not work in many cases as the timings in the new SoC would/could be completely different. If the PS5 runs too fast, all hell could break loose because the old PS4 code was not meant to run that fast (particularly code which used gpu cycles for async compute stuff on the PS4). In that context, the "dumbest PS4 game" is probably the safest bet for full bc, because it doesn't do tricks. My guess is it's the 1% of "tricky games" that constitute 99% of all headaches. Apparently within the 100 most popular games tested, the chosen solution seems to work for almost all of them out of the box.

Cerny was explicit that they baked some of the logic of PS4 inside the silicon of PS5 and that is why the BC can't be removed.

The 100 tested is still unsure if they tested regular or boosted. We will need to wait for more info.

starcraft said:
DonFerrari said:

I find it funny, not positive. It will be funny that after sales starts people bragging will just go away just like start of current gen.

Nope, Sony didn't waive any white flag, actually PS5 is pushing it much more than PS4 did, even Cerny admitted on the deep dive (that on PS4 they gone full off-the-shelf for making it easy to program) this gen they are trying to make it even easier to program but with a lot more custom parts. Also the SSD and 3D Audio are really pushing all the boundaries. Perhaps you don't care or like or consider the only spec boundary that is relevant is TFlop.

PS2 was very good for customers even with it crushing competition to an ammount PS5 wouldn't be able to, and this gen was also great even with PS4 selling 3:1 against Xbox.

I haven't seen anyone on VGC bragging, the stats are what they are.

The definition of 'pushing the boundaries' has to at least consider what the boundaries are. Given the Series X is clearly significantly more powerful, the PS5 cannot be considered the boundary. You can be damn sure Cerny would have had a different focus if last week Microsoft had announced lower CPU or GPU specs, or hadn't had vapour cooling.

And what are the boundaries? Because I put where the PS5 pushed farther than Xbox, but you won't acknowledge them for whatever reason.

Also you may deny if you want but you know there will be a lot of bragging until the end of the year and then an exodus.

Leynos said:
the-pi-guy said:

That's my point.  

They've been publicly talking about the console for nearly a year.  And yet their gamer focused message has been cloudy at best:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/03/sonys_poor_ps5_backwards_compatibility_clarity_prompts_damning_headlines

Thus far PS5 is being presented as for the developer.  

In sharp contrast to the PS4, which day 1, as soon as they even acknowledged the existence of the PS4, presented it as a console for both developers and gamers.  

Yes I'm aware.  But that's part of the problem.  

Not really a problem. MS just revealed XB early and yet the PS5 logo generated more buzz. NX was talked about forever but not revealed til October 2016 and we still knew almost nothing. 3 months before launch is when they gave us solid info. 52 million systems later...  . Once Sony shows a box and price it will generate more buzz than Xbox unless Sony pulls an Xbox One with odd restrictions that piss everyone off.

Pretty much this, not sure why some are so anxious to early.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Azzanation said:
vivster said:

What are you talking about? Sony hasn't lost a single bit of its brand power since the PS2. That's why people were flocking to the PS3 despite being objectively the worse option. In the end they pulled it out with constant support and a breadth of first class exclusive games. And they took exactly that proven track record over to the PS4. People had to buy the PS4 because they wanted to have the best games again. Hell, TLOU and UC alone made people choose PS4 because of the promise of sequels. And in this gen Sony just continued to deliver top exclusive games even late into the gen while X1 did not and tanked. Even in PS4's last year it gets a mega blockbuster like FFVII Remake all for itself. What do you think people will buy to get the next part of the game?

People know this and will once again choose PS over XB because it is basically guaranteed to have great exclusive games yet again, including high demand sequels of PS4 games. At this point the PS5 is too big to fail, because it builds upon an incredibly stable legacy. That's brand power at work world wide and not just globally in the US. That is what brand power is. People will buy your product not because it is good but because they trust that it will be good.

No you are wrong. If that was the case than 360 would have earnt a lot of brand power last gen since it was the console that set the standards. Halo outsold UC and TLOU, Forza put GT in its place and Gears was as good as God of War. Brand power isn't the sole reason the PS4 was successful, the fact its direct competitors slipped over was a major piggy back for the PS4 to sell, it wasn't just the X1 but the WiiU as well. That's a double win for the PS4 knowing that it basically went in with no threats. If we swapped the PR slip up, the Kinect and price point on both X1 and PS4 than expect the X1 to have outsold the PS4 like the PS4 outsold the X1. Marketing was a huge selling point for the PS4 over the X1. At launch X1 had the exclusives and due to the bad PR, no one cared about the games.

If Xbox didn't win any brand power with the X360 it would've flopped even harder this gen. I think you're vastly overestimating the popularity of xbox exclusives. Playstation wins out in sheer quantity and quality of its games. Just look at the charts. Xbox was very much competitive at the start of the gen and then dropped off hard after it stopped actually supplying the console with interesting games. That happened in all 3 of their console generations and there is no reason to believe it won't be the same in the next.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

twintail said:
sales2099 said:

Then they shouldn’t have advertised it as a mass tweet. Surely gamers would tune in. This is part of the marketing like it or not, and gamers were bored from what I hear. 

Just say Sony goofed but it’s no biggie in the grand scheme. It’s not becoming to defend this. It shouldn’t have been advertised to the general public. It should have been just done like Ms did. 

I'm sorry?

Defend what? I'm having a convo on WHEN info is being dropped, now HOW the info is being presented.

Your fanboyism is showing.

The whole topic is on how it was presented, how being only for developers was part of the problem...so you admit trying to deflect their lack of showmanship. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

vivster said:

If Xbox didn't win any brand power with the X360 it would've flopped even harder this gen. I think you're vastly overestimating the popularity of xbox exclusives. Playstation wins out in sheer quantity and quality of its games. Just look at the charts. Xbox was very much competitive at the start of the gen and then dropped off hard after it stopped actually supplying the console with interesting games. That happened in all 3 of their console generations and there is no reason to believe it won't be the same in the next.

Say what you wish, the 360 still sold more software and made more money than Sony's PS3. You underestimate the power of marketing. Halo 4 still outsold majority of PS3 1st party games and that came at the end of the 360 life circle. 

The brand power of PS didn't save the PS3's disaster launch and missed communication to its audience. There was a reason Sony had to make the Slim PS3 and remove the fat version much like how MS had to create the S to change the image of the brand from the VCR/Kinect bundled box that the  X1 was. If brand power is what you make it out to be than how come the PS3 did not sell 150m consoles like the PS2 did? You know why it didn't sell 150m units? Because unlike the PS2 which was up against two struggling competitors in the Gamecube and Dreamcast, the PS3 was up against the Wii and the 360.. much MUCH better competition. 

If Sony stuffs up there marketing on PS5 and Nintendo and Xbox come out swinging than expect the similar results, that goes for any brand, you stuff up your PR than you will be expected to sell less, PS is not immortal, no one is. Sony have been in two generations where their competitors become a little too ambitions which turn out to be their downfalls much like this generation with the WiiU and XB1.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 20 March 2020