Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5's marketing feels worse than PS4, while Series X's marketing is better than Xbox One's.

the-pi-guy said:
Bandorr said:

That wasn't marketing. That was a GDC video. During GDC week.
They didn't talk about price. They didn't show any games. They had no mention of release date.

This really is just a repeat of 2013.
"Sony isn't talking they are awful" yet they CLEARLY make a video (during GDC week) for GAME DEVEoloPERS and now its
"Sony has the worst marketing ever" - because of a GAME DEVELOPER CONFERENCE (gdc) video.

Sony is releasing three big exclusives in two months. Nioh, Persona 5, and FF7R(for now) and yet we are getting constant "sony is doomed" bs.

edit: oh and quick edit. We probably won't see these consoles for more than EIGHT MONTHS. Relax.

In 2013, Sony had a two hour conference in February, where they showed off the specs, and announced several launch titles.  

The point I'm making is that Sony has been talking about PS5 for almost a year and the entire time it's been towards devs.  They haven't started talking to gamers.

I guess that since you understand Sony haven't started to address the gamers yet, two technical heavy disclosures and nothing consumer level yet, show they aren't marketing yet, they want to squeeze the most of PS4 with TLOU, FFVIIR and GoT coming soon. Perhaps if you changed the OP to complain that Sony is taking to long to start marketing (I don't think so since the console is over 8 months to release, I would wait for after June to see marketing kicking in, else it is just money spend that would take away PS4 sales) you would have more people agreeing.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Around the Network
twintail said:
Azzanation said:

Of course they have road maps, however road maps can be changed depending on the terms. If your original showcase was going to be about numbers and realized your competitor has the numbers over you, than re-strategizing isn't something new. Its smart. Its probably why Sony might have been quiet for some time. Again its all speculation, we will never know.

So what exactly is the re-strategy here?

They decided to have a GDC talk to let Devs know final spec info.

And that's what they did.

Then they shouldn’t have advertised it as a mass tweet. Surely gamers would tune in. This is part of the marketing like it or not, and gamers were bored from what I hear. 

Just say Sony goofed but it’s no biggie in the grand scheme. It’s not becoming to defend this. It shouldn’t have been advertised to the general public. It should have been just done like Ms did. 

sales2099 said:
twintail said:

So what exactly is the re-strategy here?

They decided to have a GDC talk to let Devs know final spec info.

And that's what they did.

Then they shouldn’t have advertised it as a mass tweet. Surely gamers would tune in. This is part of the marketing like it or not, and gamers were bored from what I hear. 

Just say Sony goofed but it’s no biggie in the grand scheme. It’s not becoming to defend this. It shouldn’t have been advertised to the general public. It should have been just done like Ms did. 

Haven't they always divulged GDC presence and date? No difference. And it was very clear on the twitter that it would be a deep dive in the ARCHITETURE of the system.

If people were complaining it wasn't deep enough, fully technical or that they didn't show most of the features at least it would be a valid point.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Yea I agree. MS certainly has the epeen advantage which is great for social media. And when you think about all the videos that's gonna compare the two systems, they will generally mention that the XsX is gonna be the stronger one.

But there are still two areas where Sony could have a big advantage. Pricing and Games. We will see how MS responds since they do have some tricks up their sleeve like Gamepass and the Rumored Lockhart.

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                      Anime: Love Live
                              Nsfw Anime Thread                                                                             Join our Anime Threads!
                             Sfw Anime Thread                                                                                VGC Tutorial Thread

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

Haven't they always divulged GDC presence and date? No difference. And it was very clear on the twitter that it would be a deep dive in the ARCHITETURE of the system.

If people were complaining it wasn't deep enough, fully technical or that they didn't show most of the features at least it would be a valid point.

If you advertise to the general public, you need showmanship. MS didn’t have this problem with their spec drop so clearly Sony could have done something different. That’s all I’m saying, and it’s pretty basic stuff. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

If you advertise to the general public, you need showmanship. MS didn’t have this problem with their spec drop so clearly Sony could have done something different. That’s all I’m saying, and it’s pretty basic stuff. 

Yes that twitter was a advertsiment for the general public, they even said "please gamers be excited as we are showing PS5". It was very clear what it was about.

You know what I find markets and advertises the consoles best? .......games.

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

Yes that twitter was a advertsiment for the general public, they even said "please gamers be excited as we are showing PS5". It was very clear what it was about.

Not sure if you agreeing or not. But ya, showmanship. 

V-r0cK said:

Yeah.  I think the most disappointing thing for me is that Sony hasn't been showing their next gen games yet.  

the-pi-guy said:
V-r0cK said:

Yeah.  I think the most disappointing thing for me is that Sony hasn't been showing their next gen games yet.  

Why steal the thunder of FF VIR, TLOU2 and GoT so close to they releasing and far of PS5 launch?