By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5's marketing feels worse than PS4, while Series X's marketing is better than Xbox One's.

DonFerrari said:
Sony haven't done marketing for PS5 yet, they done an interview on Wired and posted the video for GDC.
About BC they were pretty clear that they put it on the silicon, the 100 games was just what they already tested and they were almost all working fine. So don't worry all relevant games shall work fine either straight away or with some patching.
I would wait a little more for official reveals, pricing and real marketing before making this type of thread =p ... this one might become necroed in the future if all changes.

These conscious communications have reached out to millions. Even just an interview is marketing, anything you post on social media is marketing. I don't think its on a big scale but they count as marketing none the the less. Look how many retweets/articles the wired interview or logo reveal got. Although all of this will be forgotten once we have bigger conferences/reveals/directs etc take into effect

Around the Network
Otter said:
DonFerrari said:
Sony haven't done marketing for PS5 yet, they done an interview on Wired and posted the video for GDC.
About BC they were pretty clear that they put it on the silicon, the 100 games was just what they already tested and they were almost all working fine. So don't worry all relevant games shall work fine either straight away or with some patching.
I would wait a little more for official reveals, pricing and real marketing before making this type of thread =p ... this one might become necroed in the future if all changes.

These conscious communications have reached out to millions. Even just an interview is marketing, anything you post on social media is marketing. I don't think its on a big scale but they count as marketing none the the less. Look how many retweets/articles the wired interview or logo reveal got. Although all of this will be forgotten once we have bigger conferences/reveals/directs etc take into effect

Well if you want to consider this marketing then Sony would be the one winning, even they showing a logo got like 10x more coverage than MS console reveal.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

last92 said:
I agree. At this point, the PS5 needs to be much cheaper if Sony doesn't want to loose a lot of sales.
And of course the marketing strategy should completely change in the next few months.

Hmm, Based off? We have not seen a single game run on the platform, and there is not a single real world comparison to demand that the PS5 needs to be cheaper.

What happens if in may we have a proper reveal and every PS5 exclusives look better then Series X's exclusive, both because of team experience and fewe cross gen exclsuives. What if all third party titles are more or less the same on both platforms because their specs are overshooting the games they are running? 

MS has a more expensive chip Sony has more expensive SSD and controllers. Neither system is out of the ball park of the other even if Series X is around -15% faster. That's not a $100 price difference in price.

We definitely need to see these system in action because the raw numbers are not hugely different. 

DonFerrari said:
Otter said:

Well if you want to consider this marketing then Sony would be the one winning, even they showing a logo got like 10x more coverage than MS console reveal.

"Winning" by default because they have the bigger audience currently (more than 2x userbase). 

But who is gaining/loosing more ground/hype through their current communications. Microsoft is the underdog here. 

And this shouldn't be considered who is winning but who's communication is more compelling at the moment.

Around the Network
Otter said:
DonFerrari said:

"Winning" by default because they have the bigger audience currently (more than 2x userbase). 

But who is gaining/loosing more ground/hype through their current communications. Microsoft is the underdog here. 

2x the userbase but 10x the hype show that there is much more interest in PS5 than XSX even discounting the current gen userbase.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Otter said:

2x the userbase but 10x the hype show that there is much more interest in PS5 than XSX even discounting the current gen userbase.

What is that messurement from?

And you are ignoring the point tbh but doesn't even matter. Waste of energy. 

the-pi-guy said:
Bandorr said:

That wasn't marketing. That was a GDC video. During GDC week.
They didn't talk about price. They didn't show any games. They had no mention of release date.

This really is just a repeat of 2013.
"Sony isn't talking they are awful" yet they CLEARLY make a video (during GDC week) for GAME DEVEoloPERS and now its
"Sony has the worst marketing ever" - because of a GAME DEVELOPER CONFERENCE (gdc) video.

Sony is releasing three big exclusives in two months. Nioh, Persona 5, and FF7R(for now) and yet we are getting constant "sony is doomed" bs.

edit: oh and quick edit. We probably won't see these consoles for more than EIGHT MONTHS. Relax.

In 2013, Sony had a two hour conference in February, where they showed off the specs, and announced several launch titles.  

The point I'm making is that Sony has been talking about PS5 for almost a year and the entire time it's been towards devs.  They haven't started talking to gamers.

I guess that since you understand Sony haven't started to address the gamers yet, two technical heavy disclosures and nothing consumer level yet, show they aren't marketing yet, they want to squeeze the most of PS4 with TLOU, FFVIIR and GoT coming soon. Perhaps if you changed the OP to complain that Sony is taking to long to start marketing (I don't think so since the console is over 8 months to release, I would wait for after June to see marketing kicking in, else it is just money spend that would take away PS4 sales) you would have more people agreeing.

twintail said:
Azzanation said:

Of course they have road maps, however road maps can be changed depending on the terms. If your original showcase was going to be about numbers and realized your competitor has the numbers over you, than re-strategizing isn't something new. Its smart. Its probably why Sony might have been quiet for some time. Again its all speculation, we will never know.

So what exactly is the re-strategy here?

They decided to have a GDC talk to let Devs know final spec info.

And that's what they did.

Then they shouldn’t have advertised it as a mass tweet. Surely gamers would tune in. This is part of the marketing like it or not, and gamers were bored from what I hear. 

Just say Sony goofed but it’s no biggie in the grand scheme. It’s not becoming to defend this. It shouldn’t have been advertised to the general public. It should have been just done like Ms did. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
twintail said:

So what exactly is the re-strategy here?

They decided to have a GDC talk to let Devs know final spec info.

And that's what they did.

Then they shouldn’t have advertised it as a mass tweet. Surely gamers would tune in. This is part of the marketing like it or not, and gamers were bored from what I hear. 

Just say Sony goofed but it’s no biggie in the grand scheme. It’s not becoming to defend this. It shouldn’t have been advertised to the general public. It should have been just done like Ms did. 

Haven't they always divulged GDC presence and date? No difference. And it was very clear on the twitter that it would be a deep dive in the ARCHITETURE of the system.

If people were complaining it wasn't deep enough, fully technical or that they didn't show most of the features at least it would be a valid point.