By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5's marketing feels worse than PS4, while Series X's marketing is better than Xbox One's.

There is literally no mainstream marketing going on at the moment. So no, I think it is premature. Considering the on-hold that we have seen from Sony's studios, I think they will hit it out of the ark as soon as they start announcing true next-gen exclusives

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
m0ney said:
vivster said:

Just remember why PS4 sold so much more than Xbox last gen, it was the exclusive games.

Nope, PS4 didn't have games in 2014, it was Xbox shooting themselves in the head that did it.

Wishful thinking doesn't make it true.

Sony has both more brand power and more attractive 1st party games, which is the thing that always pushes them above the competition. The X360 had everything going for it while PS3 massacred itself and it still won out in the end. Same thing happened this gen, though with slightly more help from X1. And the same will happen in the next gen. If Sony can win when everything is stacked against them, then they'll win even harder when they start out equal or even slightly behind.

You don't need games when you have a proven track record of delivering eventually. Which is the biggest difference between the two platforms. Even if XBX comes out swinging with massive exclusives, there will be zero trust on them to deliver after the first big push because they never did.

Last edited by vivster - on 19 March 2020

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

twintail said: 
Azzanation said:
Probably because MS caught Sony off guard with there impulse bombshells. Sony might of had to restructure there entire marketing campaign when they realized they didn't have the numbers game.

MS and Sony have roadmaps for their reveals. They aren't just reacting to one another. This vid was the presentation for GDC, which happens to be now, or would have been.

Of course they have road maps, however road maps can be changed depending on the terms. If your original showcase was going to be about numbers and realized your competitor has the numbers over you, than re-strategizing isn't something new. Its smart. Its probably why Sony might have been quiet for some time. Again its all speculation, we will never know.

vivster said:

Wishful thinking doesn't make it true.

Sony has both more brand power and more attractive 1st party games, which is the thing that always pushes them above the competition. The X360 had everything going for it while PS3 massacred itself and it still won out in the end. Same thing happened this gen, though with slightly more help from X1. And the same will happen in the next gen. If Sony can win when everything is stacked against them, then they'll win even harder when they start out equal or even slightly behind.

At launch they didn't have the better 1st party games nor the brand power if we are carrying over from the 360 and PS3 era. 

PS5 vs Series X is a different story where PS has the brand power of the Xbox brand due to the success of the PS4 vs XB1. However launch games could possibly go Series X's way with launch titles like Halo Infinite being heavily focused around the next gen consoles and marketing.

However will wait and see what Sony announces for PS5's launch games. 

I agree. At this point, the PS5 needs to be much cheaper if Sony doesn't want to loose a lot of sales.
And of course the marketing strategy should completely change in the next few months.

Around the Network

Gameranx covers this really well, cutting through all the hype and bore of both systems.

Last edited by Quartz - on 19 March 2020

Good to see this site is still going 

Well both have just spoken about specs and features at this point. Pretty boring from both of them so far. I guess MS is up a bit since they have at least shown the console. It will all come down to the games though.

Games. Relatively inexpensive console, that is all.

They don't really need to advertise it yet. You can see how much it is anticipated from the response from just revealing a logo.

This was always going to be the case, really. Xbox One marketing was just MS punching themselves in the face, and PS4 marketing was pointing back at MS, laughing, then promising everyone "don't worry, we're not doing that."

I say give it two and a half more months, and if Sony messes up the first consumer reveal of the ps5, then I will be worry

Last edited by MasonADC - on 19 March 2020