Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5's marketing feels worse than PS4, while Series X's marketing is better than Xbox One's.

last92 said:
I agree. At this point, the PS5 needs to be much cheaper if Sony doesn't want to loose a lot of sales.
And of course the marketing strategy should completely change in the next few months.

Hmm, Based off? We have not seen a single game run on the platform, and there is not a single real world comparison to demand that the PS5 needs to be cheaper.

What happens if in may we have a proper reveal and every PS5 exclusives look better then Series X's exclusive, both because of team experience and fewe cross gen exclsuives. What if all third party titles are more or less the same on both platforms because their specs are overshooting the games they are running? 

MS has a more expensive chip Sony has more expensive SSD and controllers. Neither system is out of the ball park of the other even if Series X is around -15% faster. That's not a $100 price difference in price.

We definitely need to see these system in action because the raw numbers are not hugely different. 

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Otter said:

These conscious communications have reached out to millions. Even just an interview is marketing, anything you post on social media is marketing. I don't think its on a big scale but they count as marketing none the the less. Look how many retweets/articles the wired interview or logo reveal got. Although all of this will be forgotten once we have bigger conferences/reveals/directs etc take into effect

Well if you want to consider this marketing then Sony would be the one winning, even they showing a logo got like 10x more coverage than MS console reveal.

"Winning" by default because they have the bigger audience currently (more than 2x userbase). 

But who is gaining/loosing more ground/hype through their current communications. Microsoft is the underdog here. 

And this shouldn't be considered who is winning but who's communication is more compelling at the moment.

Otter said:
DonFerrari said:

Well if you want to consider this marketing then Sony would be the one winning, even they showing a logo got like 10x more coverage than MS console reveal.

"Winning" by default because they have the bigger audience currently (more than 2x userbase). 

But who is gaining/loosing more ground/hype through their current communications. Microsoft is the underdog here. 

2x the userbase but 10x the hype show that there is much more interest in PS5 than XSX even discounting the current gen userbase.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

DonFerrari said:
Otter said:

2x the userbase but 10x the hype show that there is much more interest in PS5 than XSX even discounting the current gen userbase.

What is that messurement from?

And you are ignoring the point tbh but doesn't even matter. Waste of energy. 

Around the Network
Otter said:
And this shouldn't be considered who is winning but who's communication is more compelling at the moment.

That's an easy one then. Definitely not Microsoft.  Way too many questions and concerns.

is there a second system? We don't know. They aren't killing the rumors but we have nothing about it either.

Cyberpunk went on a long delay AND crunch time. Now they are working at home. It feels like they don't even have the "base" version of the game done - yet they advertised some feature with Microsoft. That they explained nothing about. If you get the X1 version you get "something". What is that something. The X1 is already BC with the X series. So you already in theory get the game. So how is the X series different? Was that confirming there was going to be an X series version of this game. Or just a patched up version. But how would the patched up version be different than the BC version.

All first party games will be on the X1 for a year or two. How will a game being on a system from 2013 that isn't even powerful enough to run a VR game affect a 2020 game? Are we talking Forza 2/Shadows of mordor where features will be actually removed, or just downgraded?

They have left me with two things. 1) A lot of questions. 2) No desire to get their console.

So if we are talking about communications - they are in the negatives.

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
Bandorr said:

That wasn't marketing. That was a GDC video. During GDC week.
They didn't talk about price. They didn't show any games. They had no mention of release date.

This really is just a repeat of 2013.
"Sony isn't talking they are awful" yet they CLEARLY make a video (during GDC week) for GAME DEVEoloPERS and now its
"Sony has the worst marketing ever" - because of a GAME DEVELOPER CONFERENCE (gdc) video.

Sony is releasing three big exclusives in two months. Nioh, Persona 5, and FF7R(for now) and yet we are getting constant "sony is doomed" bs.

edit: oh and quick edit. We probably won't see these consoles for more than EIGHT MONTHS. Relax.

In 2013, Sony had a two hour conference in February, where they showed off the specs, and announced several launch titles.  

The point I'm making is that Sony has been talking about PS5 for almost a year and the entire time it's been towards devs.  They haven't started talking to gamers.

the-pi-guy said:
Bandorr said:

That wasn't marketing. That was a GDC video. During GDC week.
They didn't talk about price. They didn't show any games. They had no mention of release date.

This really is just a repeat of 2013.
"Sony isn't talking they are awful" yet they CLEARLY make a video (during GDC week) for GAME DEVEoloPERS and now its
"Sony has the worst marketing ever" - because of a GAME DEVELOPER CONFERENCE (gdc) video.

Sony is releasing three big exclusives in two months. Nioh, Persona 5, and FF7R(for now) and yet we are getting constant "sony is doomed" bs.

edit: oh and quick edit. We probably won't see these consoles for more than EIGHT MONTHS. Relax.

In 2013, Sony had a two hour conference in February, where they showed off the specs, and announced several launch titles.  

The point I'm making is that Sony has been talking about PS5 for almost a year and the entire time it's been towards devs.  They haven't started talking to gamers.

And? To quote you "They haven't started talking to gamers".  The PS3 was an issue. It came out last. It was over priced. And I think less powerful?

It had to overcome a lot. Sony had to make it clear "yeah ok we fucked up".

The PS4 dominated. Is STILL dominating. They are literally in the process of releasing three powerful exclusives. They didn't fuck up. They did nothing wrong.

You aren't wondering why Xbox is constantly trying to get press? They massively fucked up.  From "no used games" to a FORCED kinect (which also raised the price). Including "we will never get rid of the kinect" and their poor game output.

They had to overcome as lot. They had to make it clear "yeah ok we fucked up".

The "gamers" should be having faith. They should be looking at the 25+ years, and the 4 amazing consoles.  I'm STILL enjoying my PS4. So why would I worry even 1% about Sony NOT talking to gamers.

It is better to be thought a fool and not open your mouth, than to open it and prove it.  Until Sony actually fucks up when talking to gamers - Relax.

Oh and reminder - this doesn't come out for another 8+ months. Feels like I need to keep pointing that out.

• Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
Bandorr said:
the-pi-guy said:

And? To quote you "They haven't started talking to gamers".  The PS3 was an issue. It came out last. It was over priced. And I think less powerful?

The PS4 dominated. Is STILL dominating. They are literally in the process of releasing three powerful exclusives. They didn't fuck up. They did nothing wrong.

You aren't wondering why Xbox is constantly trying to get press? They massively fucked up.  From "no used games" to a FORCED kinect (which also raised the price). Including "we will never get rid of the kinect" and their poor game output.

The "gamers" should be having faith. They should be looking at the 25+ years, and the 4 amazing consoles.  I'm STILL enjoying my PS4. So why would I worry even 1% about Sony NOT talking to gamers.

It is better to be thought a fool and not open your mouth, than to open it and prove it.  Until Sony actually fucks up when talking to gamers - Relax.

Oh and reminder - this doesn't come out for another 8+ months. Feels like I need to keep pointing that out.

Don't worry I'm very calm. I'm just making observations about how Sony's and MS's strategy has changed over the gen.

I said in the OP that in a year from now, none of this will probably matter and the two consoles will probably be way closer than most people think they are right now.  

But considering we have gotten articles like this, it feels like Sony has messed up their messaging about BC.  

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/03/ps5s_backwards_compatibility_with_ps4_has_fans_baffled

Sony's message day 1 was that PS4 was going to be a console for developers and gamers.  

And here are almost to day 365 of PS5, and yet their messaging has been focusing on developers exclusively.  

I'll say this a fourth time, none of this will probably matter in a year.  But still it's interesting to see how Sony's messaging has changed. 

the-pi-guy said:
Bandorr said:

Don't worry I'm very calm. I'm just making observations about how Sony's and MS's strategy has changed over the gen.

I said in the OP that in a year from now, none of this will probably matter and the two consoles will probably be way closer than most people think they are right now.  

But considering we have gotten articles like this, it feels like Sony has messed up their messaging about BC.  

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/03/ps5s_backwards_compatibility_with_ps4_has_fans_baffled

Sony's message day 1 was that PS4 was going to be a console for developers and gamers.  

And here are almost to day 365 of PS5, and yet their messaging has been focusing on developers exclusively.  

I'll say this a fourth time, none of this will probably matter in a year.  But still it's interesting to see how Sony's messaging has changed. 

Ah I see.  I misconstrued your post. You are comparing Sony 2013 to Sony 2020.

And yeah the BC is a mess. It doesn't really affect me since I typically don't pick up system B until I'm done with System's A games.

My apologies for misunderstanding what you were aiming for.