Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5's marketing feels worse than PS4, while Series X's marketing is better than Xbox One's.

DonFerrari said:
DélioPT said:
Without a doubt MS is communicating better than Sony.

The majority of gamers don't understand this type of tech talk and will only "get it" by listening to youtubers and the sorts.
What the mass market has seen so far is MS talking and showing what gamers will get; Sony has talked and haven't shown what gamers will get.

Yesterday's presentation shouldn't have happened.
If the target audience was developers, either you don't show this to the mass market - as a first true introduction to PS5 - or you adapt.
In my opinion, Sony, if not able to adapt, either do a private show to developers or simply not show it and wait for a time where you could let people actually undestand.

Not that everything about Sony wasn't understood, but when MS actually shows what that tech is all about, you look bad in comparison.

Overall, MS is doing things well, Sony, not so much.

Eeeeerrrrr GDC haven't been secret meeting before so why now?

It's not a question of making it a secret.
This type of presentation only makes sense for a certain audience, not the public in general.

Making this your first real reveal of the thing kinda backfired.



Around the Network
DélioPT said:
DonFerrari said:

Eeeeerrrrr GDC haven't been secret meeting before so why now?

It's not a question of making it a secret.
This type of presentation only makes sense for a certain audience, not the public in general.

Making this your first real reveal of the thing kinda backfired.

On that point I can agree, but that isn't because they announced or not, because the GDC talk have been announced before.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

DonFerrari said:

Why steal the thunder of FF VIR, TLOU2 and GoT so close to they releasing and far of PS5 launch?

Didn't stop The Last of Us from succeeding on PS3, a few months after PS4 was announced.



Azzanation said:
vivster said:

Wishful thinking doesn't make it true.

Sony has both more brand power and more attractive 1st party games, which is the thing that always pushes them above the competition. The X360 had everything going for it while PS3 massacred itself and it still won out in the end. Same thing happened this gen, though with slightly more help from X1. And the same will happen in the next gen. If Sony can win when everything is stacked against them, then they'll win even harder when they start out equal or even slightly behind.

At launch they didn't have the better 1st party games nor the brand power if we are carrying over from the 360 and PS3 era. 

PS5 vs Series X is a different story where PS has the brand power of the Xbox brand due to the success of the PS4 vs XB1. However launch games could possibly go Series X's way with launch titles like Halo Infinite being heavily focused around the next gen consoles and marketing.

However will wait and see what Sony announces for PS5's launch games. 

This could be true for the launch (much less so for the rest of the gen i think, however). I’ve been saying for a long time that I feel Sony is making a serious mistake by not having TLoUp2 as a PS5 launch game. I honestly don’t know what they’re thinking. Clearly they’re wanting people to double dip so they make more money, but I think this is a huge mistake, when XSX has Halo Infinite. And I would bet a lot of money that HI will win back a lot of people and be a huge game.

MS is doing just about everything right lately. I’m a PS guy, but Sony should have a healthy fear of MS. They’re coming for Sony, and they’re gonna take a much bigger piece of the pie this gen than they did last.

On the topic of Sony’s presentation yesterday, I had been really excited for it. Once it started, I almost thought it was a joke. From the format to the presentation to the fake audience—everything other than the presence of Mark Cerny—it was painfully bad. Idk WTF Sony was thinking with that, but I hope they start stepping it up. 



DonFerrari said:
DélioPT said:

It's not a question of making it a secret.
This type of presentation only makes sense for a certain audience, not the public in general.

Making this your first real reveal of the thing kinda backfired.

On that point I can agree, but that isn't because they announced or not, because the GDC talk have been announced before.

Yeah, but… they should have done something different now.

Had they made this presentation available after a reveal like MS did recently and people wouldn't complain.
It was a strange mistep by Sony.



Around the Network

I would say at this point Sony hasn’t really put anything into marketing yet. I still think they are tying up some loose ends with developers. Figuring out manufacturing costs all while dealing with the apparent Pandemic. I’m certain one this is all said and done we will get a more of marketing sales approach to a conference even via a State of Play showing. I’m certain at the reveal they’ll show the PS5 the controller, user interface games and all the features that are built in. I also think we’ll get the price but still a vague Holiday 2020 release time frame incase they need to delay. I haven’t watched anything on Microsoft’s side of things as they yet have proved games to me. I think they will do better this gen than last simply due to its acquired first party studios.



I don't know if any advertising works anymore. I will by a PS5 no matter what. I don't like Microsoft consoles, especially after they tried last gen to stop people from having used games. People have their trophies and whatnots... They more than likely won't be changing over.



Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

the-pi-guy said:
DonFerrari said:

Why steal the thunder of FF VIR, TLOU2 and GoT so close to they releasing and far of PS5 launch?

Didn't stop The Last of Us from succeeding on PS3, a few months after PS4 was announced.

Maybe it was Sony's deal this generation with Square and Naughty Dog to not show anything PS5 related until some time after FF7 and TLoU2 has been released? lol 

Talking spec is fun and all but we all know the real hype meat and marketing is in the games and what devs can do with the games.  



the-pi-guy said:
DonFerrari said:

Why steal the thunder of FF VIR, TLOU2 and GoT so close to they releasing and far of PS5 launch?

Didn't stop The Last of Us from succeeding on PS3, a few months after PS4 was announced.

That much is true, even GT6 was able to sell over 5M without port on PS4

pitzy272 said:
Azzanation said:

At launch they didn't have the better 1st party games nor the brand power if we are carrying over from the 360 and PS3 era. 

PS5 vs Series X is a different story where PS has the brand power of the Xbox brand due to the success of the PS4 vs XB1. However launch games could possibly go Series X's way with launch titles like Halo Infinite being heavily focused around the next gen consoles and marketing.

However will wait and see what Sony announces for PS5's launch games. 

This could be true for the launch (much less so for the rest of the gen i think, however). I’ve been saying for a long time that I feel Sony is making a serious mistake by not having TLoUp2 as a PS5 launch game. I honestly don’t know what they’re thinking. Clearly they’re wanting people to double dip so they make more money, but I think this is a huge mistake, when XSX has Halo Infinite. And I would bet a lot of money that HI will win back a lot of people and be a huge game.

MS is doing just about everything right lately. I’m a PS guy, but Sony should have a healthy fear of MS. They’re coming for Sony, and they’re gonna take a much bigger piece of the pie this gen than they did last.

On the topic of Sony’s presentation yesterday, I had been really excited for it. Once it started, I almost thought it was a joke. From the format to the presentation to the fake audience—everything other than the presence of Mark Cerny—it was painfully bad. Idk WTF Sony was thinking with that, but I hope they start stepping it up. 

TLOU2, GoT and the other major 1st party will be playable on PS5 they are BC. At most we don't know how much improved they will be and if they will offer the improvements for free.

DélioPT said:
DonFerrari said:

On that point I can agree, but that isn't because they announced or not, because the GDC talk have been announced before.

Yeah, but… they should have done something different now.

Had they made this presentation available after a reveal like MS did recently and people wouldn't complain.
It was a strange mistep by Sony.

That sure they could have done better, still january they said they would reveal PS5 in several events and we still have several months before release.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Sony had a little misstep yesterday. It seems they didn't realize how hungry people were for PS5 info lol. A tech demo/ teaser trailer could have gone a long way in terms of swaying public opinion.

The good thing is Sony can still recover. They have a ton of first party stuff to show for their first consumer reveal. GG, Insomniac, Japan Studios, PD, maybe even that rumored new studio in San Diego, might have something to show. Something like Horizon: Zero Dawn running on PS4 Pro looks better than most games running on Xbox One X. Can MS studios really capitalize on a 2TF advantage better than SIE can capitalize on a 2x SSD? We're at a point where graphical differences are harder to distinguish. However, the SSD could be a massive game changer in game development and level design, as touted by MS, Sony & third party developers. Third party games being superior on the XSX won't matter if the PS5 comes in at $399. This isn't touching on any acquisitions or third party partnerships/exclusives Sony might have in store too.

The only bad side, potentially, is the wait until June/July. I feel like Sony doesn't want to show any PS5 titles until GoT is released.