By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5's marketing feels worse than PS4, while Series X's marketing is better than Xbox One's.

PotentHerbs said:
Azzanation said:

Xbox revisions wasn't just redesigning the console. They basically started again with closing down studios and started from new during a generation. That took a hit on the games front which meant that they couldn't get the games out like they could with the 360. Hence the lack of 1st party games. Sony didn't have to change much, their console circle continued as planned. Both the Xbox and PS have brand power, however we cannot compare the two the same as the start of this generation was one tripping up while the other was at full speed. If the X1 came out like the 360 than this gen would have been more neck and neck. The fact the WiiU flopped also added a bigger buyers choice to the PS4 adding in two audiences of customers rather than just one. 

Don't forget Sony closed a couple of studios this gen. Also, one of their premiere studios, SSM, had a lot of internal turmoil to a point where they had to cancel one of their projects. Sony just has a better handle on their studios compared to MS. 

MS has brand power but it is in no way comparable to the type of brand power Sony has. The XSX can very well get 2:1 in lifetime sales by the PS5 next gen even if MS were on top of their game. Lets say, 60 Million for Xbox Series X, compared to 120 Million for the PS5. Where are MS getting the sales from outside of NA/UK where PS can outsell them 3:1? 

All companies have closures etc however MS were in a complete rebuild of the brand. Cancelling projects, closing studios and even rebranding from Microsoft Studios to Xbox Game Studios. They basically hit the restart button mid gen. Will see how they go next gen now that they have gotten over the hoops.

How will they get the sales? Exactly how they did it with the 360.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
PotentHerbs said:

Don't forget Sony closed a couple of studios this gen. Also, one of their premiere studios, SSM, had a lot of internal turmoil to a point where they had to cancel one of their projects. Sony just has a better handle on their studios compared to MS. 

MS has brand power but it is in no way comparable to the type of brand power Sony has. The XSX can very well get 2:1 in lifetime sales by the PS5 next gen even if MS were on top of their game. Lets say, 60 Million for Xbox Series X, compared to 120 Million for the PS5. Where are MS getting the sales from outside of NA/UK where PS can outsell them 3:1? 

All companies have closures etc however MS were in a complete rebuild of the brand. Cancelling projects, closing studios and even rebranding from Microsoft Studios to Xbox Game Studios. They basically hit the restart button mid gen. Will see how they go next gen now that they have gotten over the hoops.

Then why aren't we seeing that now with the Xbox One? Xbox brand power should make it do better, right? We're seeing it in NA/UK where the Xbox brand isn't completely dead. 

I agree, I was decided on going ps5, but now that I know the backwards compatibility is not native, and I was impressed with xbox modular design and the vapor cooling and many more backwards compatible games and a better joystick position are 4 big wins for me (even tough I have a pro ps4 controller with the same joystick scheme, miles better than the dualshock. I even like the design because I keep my consoles vertically on the side (never enclose your consoles, let it breathe)

I don't care much for price, a 100 dollars difference is nothing if it means I get the better system for the next 7 years.

I will not pre order, I will wait for someone to test the fan noise levels, I do not want to go through what I went this generation that I ended buying 5 ps4s and the last one ps4 pro 7200 is still nowhere near as quiet as the xbox X, and has worse build materials too.

PotentHerbs said:
Azzanation said:

Then why aren't we seeing that now with the Xbox One? Xbox brand power should make it do better, right? We're seeing it in NA/UK where the Xbox brand isn't completely dead. 

When MS done everything right and Sony done all the mistakes they could, and took over 3 years to correct PS still outsold Xbox. But for some reason he thinks that if PS4 made the same mistakes on launch as X1 and corrected then in 6 months they would still be outsold between 2:1 to 3:1. He won't accept Playstation have much more brand power and even if every gen starts from zero that didn't prevent PS to always sell consoles on the 90M or over.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

theres no ps5 marketing yet as the console hasnt been revealed

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

That was a GDC talk not meant for us,wasn't really marketing to us but to devs. That said, PS5 is not going up against a TV TV TV TV SPORTS SPORTS NO USED GAMES or a Wii U this time. They are going up against a better marketed than XBO Xbox Series X and the hottest selling platform right now in Switch. I still think PS5 outsells Xbox SeX but not to the degree PS4 did. PS4 has full Japanese support,something Xbox will never have.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

victor83fernandes said:

I agree, I was decided on going ps5, but now that I know the backwards compatibility is not native, and I was impressed with xbox modular design and the vapor cooling and many more backwards compatible games and a better joystick position are 4 big wins for me (even tough I have a pro ps4 controller with the same joystick scheme, miles better than the dualshock. I even like the design because I keep my consoles vertically on the side (never enclose your consoles, let it breathe)

I don't care much for price, a 100 dollars difference is nothing if it means I get the better system for the next 7 years.

I will not pre order, I will wait for someone to test the fan noise levels, I do not want to go through what I went this generation that I ended buying 5 ps4s and the last one ps4 pro 7200 is still nowhere near as quiet as the xbox X, and has worse build materials too.

They put the PS4 logic into the silicon, that is just one step lower than having the full hw inside the silicon (like PS3 had for PS2), MS didn't talk about the BC being native or being on the silicon so it isn't any more native than PS5.

You'll really get burned if you expect to be able to swap CPU or GPU on Xbox Series X.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

PotentHerbs said:
Azzanation said:

Because the 360 did not have the marketing and bad PR issues the Xbox One has. 

DonFerrari said:

When MS done everything right and Sony done all the mistakes they could, and took over 3 years to correct PS still outsold Xbox. But for some reason he thinks that if PS4 made the same mistakes on launch as X1 and corrected then in 6 months they would still be outsold between 2:1 to 3:1. He won't accept Playstation have much more brand power and even if every gen starts from zero that didn't prevent PS to always sell consoles on the 90M or over.

Don you answered your own post with your very first sentence. Much like this generation correct?

EricHiggin said:

If MS is somehow able to maintain this up until launch then that's some pretty flawless execution, so you can't help but wonder how positive is what's to come? Time will tell.

PS5 info dumps have been pretty bland and boring. They are still selling lots of PS4's though, so no reason to turn up the hype just yet, but respond nonetheless. Games.

Cerny 'soft announced' first, correct? It wasn't everything, but enough that it wasn't just a tease that told people nothing.

For us hardcore yes, but for the general public, no one really cares for xbox, most people don't even know there's a new one coming, most people I know here in Europe have decided on ps5 long time ago, its like xbox is not even an option here. The xbox one had a good chance because it came off the popular 360, so people were still curious about it, but now? I see no one here besides me talking about the new xbox.

99% of people will only learn about the new consoles through TV marketing, so if Microsoft really wants to make a dent in sony fanbase, they will need to advertise well, just like Nintendo did with the switch.

I liked what I saw from Microsoft side, but I'm realistic, I know how the market is at the moment and by Christmas time, the most talked consoles will be by far the ps5 and switch.

Microsoft had a chance to get us 360 fans back, with the xbox X, I bought one at launch, they promised the sun and the moon, but then no exclusives came, only online games, I don't play online, I loved Recore, one of the best I played the whole generation, but what else? Didn't like sunset overdrive, too ridiculous for me, didn't like gears 4, it was too linear and boring, didn't like halo 5, just as halo 4, boring, nowhere near the fist 3, ori was alright but I hyped it more than what it was, not as fun as rayman, and frustrating at times. They had stuff like Minecraft? Not even close to my thing, Quantum break I loved it, but the movies ruined the game for me, 20 minute movies each level? I dropped my review rating from 5stars to 3 stars just for that. Could have been top 5 game of the generation.

All in all, Microsoft promised too much but they didn't deliver, nowhere near what they promised. Sony didn't promise much, they deliver way more than I expected, Spiderman, God of war, Last of us 2, Bloodborne, Yakuza, final fantasy remake, Horizon, Uncharted 4, Persona 5, shadow of colossus remaster, Until dawn, Nioh, Resogun, infamous, ratchet and clank, Uncharted lost legacy, Detroit become human, The last guardian, Death stranding, Days gone, street fighter 5, Ghost of tsushima, and many more

Then add VR and you have a pure gaming machine for single player games.

Why do you guys think playstation fans are not so desperate for a new console? Because we are still waiting for the best exclusives to launch on ps4, we get plenty great games, who needs a new console with so many good games coming.

Xbox has a reason to rush into next gen, because they have nothing going for them now. That's why xbox fans are so excited for it, because they want something new to play.

Last edited by victor83fernandes - on 19 March 2020

DonFerrari said:
victor83fernandes said:

They put the PS4 logic into the silicon, that is just one step lower than having the full hw inside the silicon (like PS3 had for PS2), MS didn't talk about the BC being native or being on the silicon so it isn't any more native than PS5.

You'll really get burned if you expect to be able to swap CPU or GPU on Xbox Series X.

PS4 was never backwards compatible at all, and no one ever said it was, sony never hinted at it being, so I don't know what you are talking about.

PS3 had a totally different acrchitecture than ps2, so backwards compatibility was more difficult of course no one expected otherwise. 

Is that jealousy the thing about swapping GPU? It sound like it. I suppose if sony announces the same then youll be excited? Tipical. Just accept that microsoft built a great device, period.