By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Is Bidens campaign dead? (EDIT: Well, this was turned around completely.)

Is Biden's campaign no longer viable?

Yes, his campaign is dead! 31 46.27%

His campaign is badly hur... 15 22.39%

He will take a small hit,... 5 7.46%

No, this result will not hurt his campaign. 7 10.45%

Donald Trump will win the democratic primary! 9 13.43%

Total:67
sundin13 said:
Eagle367 said:

Biden has lied like Obama lied when he was running. Can't trust these people. Obama ran as a progressive and didn't lead the country that way. Biden will be far more right if he becomes president.

Thats how government works, bro. This isn't a dictatorship. Especially when you don't have Congress, you need to negotiate to get people on board. Depending on where your policies lie, often that means pivoting towards the center. The exact same thing would happen under a Bernie presidency, assuming he actually got anything passed.

As for the rest, it is up to the voters and our representatives to hold him accountable. Again, if the progressive wing of the party is as active and as powerful as they are at their best, Biden and the party will be forced to the left. If the progressive wing of the party doesn't fucking show, then they aren't going to be around to have a voice at the table.

That's demonstrably not true. Republicans never move to the center. They just keep dragging the Dems to the right. That's why the population is much more to the left than both parties. Conservatives who aren't establishment are more left than they realise and so are the liberals and moderates. The simple reason why democrats move to the "center" which is actually the right is because the Democrats don't really care and are more right wing than they say. Also there is a difference between negociating and just completely conceding to whatever the other party wants.

I can guarantee you a Bernie Sanders admin won't be like that and "move to the center" aka move to the right. Obama didn't even try fighting for these things in any real way and Biden won't either. Pelosi didn't negotiate with trump and use the military budget to do anything good for example, she just approved it as is. Republicans never do that for left policies. It shows you the republicans are actually conservatives while democrats are much more right wing that they portray themselves as.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network
Eagle367 said:
sundin13 said:

Thats how government works, bro. This isn't a dictatorship. Especially when you don't have Congress, you need to negotiate to get people on board. Depending on where your policies lie, often that means pivoting towards the center. The exact same thing would happen under a Bernie presidency, assuming he actually got anything passed.

As for the rest, it is up to the voters and our representatives to hold him accountable. Again, if the progressive wing of the party is as active and as powerful as they are at their best, Biden and the party will be forced to the left. If the progressive wing of the party doesn't fucking show, then they aren't going to be around to have a voice at the table.

That's demonstrably not true. Republicans never move to the center. They just keep dragging the Dems to the right. That's why the population is much more to the left than both parties. Conservatives who aren't establishment are more left than they realise and so are the liberals and moderates. The simple reason why democrats move to the "center" which is actually the right is because the Democrats don't really care and are more right wing than they say. Also there is a difference between negociating and just completely conceding to whatever the other party wants.

I can guarantee you a Bernie Sanders admin won't be like that and "move to the center" aka move to the right. Obama didn't even try fighting for these things in any real way and Biden won't either. Pelosi didn't negotiate with trump and use the military budget to do anything good for example, she just approved it as is. Republicans never do that for left policies. It shows you the republicans are actually conservatives while democrats are much more right wing that they portray themselves as.

I would agree that the trend is less prominent in Republicans than Democrats, but to say that they never move toward the center I think is overstating things. One of the reasons why basically nothing actually made it through Congress is because Trump couldn't get all of his party on board for the far right things he was proposing. This government has just been so dysfunctional and unable to negotiate that they largely just gave up on many of the things that they couldn't figure out, or attempted other less cooperative methods (which are also generally less impactful and less able to stand the test of time).

That said, a good chunk of the reason why this trend is more prominent among Republicans than Democrats is because, again, Democrats have a tendency of eating their own. When Trump was elected, the party became the party of Trump. While our diversity is often our strength, it can also be a weakness because you have certain elements directly challenging the ideals of party unity.

Additionally, as previously said, if Bernie does not move towards the center, he would simply get nothing passed through congress. M4A simply isn't going to happen in its current form right now when the dems don't have Congress, and even if they did, many don't support such a radical (relatively) bill.

sundin13 said:
Eagle367 said:

I would agree that the trend is less prominent in Republicans than Democrats, but to say that they never move toward the center I think is overstating things. One of the reasons why basically nothing actually made it through Congress is because Trump couldn't get all of his party on board for the far right things he was proposing. This government has just been so dysfunctional and unable to negotiate that they largely just gave up on many of the things that they couldn't figure out, or attempted other less cooperative methods (which are also generally less impactful and less able to stand the test of time).

That said, a good chunk of the reason why this trend is more prominent among Republicans than Democrats is because, again, Democrats have a tendency of eating their own. When Trump was elected, the party became the party of Trump. While our diversity is often our strength, it can also be a weakness because you have certain elements directly challenging the ideals of party unity.

Additionally, as previously said, if Bernie does not move towards the center, he would simply get nothing passed through congress. M4A simply isn't going to happen in its current form right now when the dems don't have Congress, and even if they did, many don't support such a radical (relatively) bill.

I disagree entirely. When negociating, you start with the most extreme position. That's how republicans have pulled the democratic establishment more and more to the right. Bernie Sanders will pull the republicans to the left by forcing them to make concessions while usual democrats these days just compromise before even starting negociations.

Eagle367 said:
sundin13 said:

I disagree entirely. When negociating, you start with the most extreme position. That's how republicans have pulled the democratic establishment more and more to the right. Bernie Sanders will pull the republicans to the left by forcing them to make concessions while usual democrats these days just compromise before even starting negociations.

I guess I'll just ask you this plainly: Do you think M4A would get passed in its current form?

SpokenTruth said:
sundin13 said:

I guess I'll just ask you this plainly: Do you think M4A would get passed in its current form?

Political policy ideologies tend to be a very self-fulfilling prophecy.  If you say we can't do something, we won't.  Why?  Because no effort.  Everybody will have a defeatist attitude of why bother?...why try?  We've established the foregone conclusion it will fail before even trying. Ergo it failed because we failed because we said it would fail.

Absolutely everything can pass if the people demand it enough.  That's part of the beauty of a democracy. But we've become both complacent with "good enough" and defeatist with "we can't do that in America".

That doesn't really answer my question though and in many ways it actually enforces my arguments for Biden in the general.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
sundin13 said:

That doesn't really answer my question though and in many ways it actually enforces my arguments for Biden in the general.

It's more along the lines of stating rather clearly that yes we can pass it in it's current form.  We just have to get past ourselves. We are our own obstacle.  And it's pretty damned pathetic when you think about it.  We hinder our own progress because we don't believe we can do any progress.

In fact, it's the same notion for this idea of 'electability'.  Someone is only electable or not because we say they are electable or not. That's it. It's another stupid self-fulfilling prophecy.  "Oh, Sanders isn't electable so we better support Biden."  He's only un-electable because of that inane mentality right there.

All this potential power to change everything is right there.  And we piss it away standing in our own toilet bowl that we put ourselves in.

Electability.  A concept developed by the establishment to guide us toward the candidate they want.  All they have to say is Candidate B is unelectable...and we fall right in line.

I agree that electability (as in, "an individual's presumed chances in the general") is a pretty stupid concept, especially when not backed by data.

That said, I think the "we just have to get past ourselves" idea is more of a long term ideal. If moderates are in office because they are who we elected, we probably need to wait a bit until we can replace those moderates with progressives, and that isn't something which is reasonable to expect in many areas.

sundin13 said:
Eagle367 said:

Yea it can get passed. The power Bernie talks about is not something he invented and it's not something about him. The power is the people and and how they have been demoralized into thinking they don't have it. When the president of the United States tells you that you have the power to make your lives better and these are the people getting in your way, that's more powerful than any corporation could fathom and the political pressure is greater than any politician can handle. 

You don't seem to get that Bernie is just part of the movement, he isn't the movement himself. But he is in the best position to be the president of the US to support this movement. Without someone from the movement being the president, it is very unlikely but still can happen. But if the president is part of the Not Me, Us movement, the probability jumps much higher.

Can it happen? A resounding Yes!!! Should it happen? Yes!!! Should it happen right now? Yes!!! Will it happen? That's upto the American people. Joe Biden doesn't seem like he'll ever institute any universal coverage, let alone M4A. This is a rare chance for the Americans to infiltrate the establishment and replace them with the common people. With bartenders like AOC, and refugees like Ilhan Omar. With common people working for all people. But the Americans seem to be letting this chance to just like the Brits wasted their chance to get Corbyn and the Canadians to her Jagmeet Singh. Mark my words history will remember Bernie as the one that got away and it won't be too kind to Trump, the Clintons, Biden, Obama or any of these establishment people like Tom Perez and Chuck Schumer. 

SpokenTruth said:
Anybody know why Biden is nowhere to be found during this crisis?

I don't know, but it is a very bad sign as he is in all likelyhood the democratic nominee.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Here’s the answer: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/20/biden-coronavirus-plannings-139629

SpokenTruth said:
nuckles87 said:

Here’s the answer: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/20/biden-coronavirus-plannings-139629

Just seems like he's been absent when his primary opponent has been showing actual leadership the past week.

I mean, Sanders is actually in government right now, if you can still consider him a "primary opponent".