By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA: "There isn't much room for other titles than 1st party on Switch"

Um, on all of this 'don't do enough to promote 3rd party games' thing, I do happen to remember Skyrim as part of the Nintendo commercials they do with things like the Warrior games and Zelda and Mario and co. I see Super Lucky Tail commercials for Switch at Target all the time. Nintendo Directs often start and end with titles like Overwatch and Darksouls.

...What, do they need to do 50 million dollar marketing campaigns? Pretty sure that Playstation and Xbox bid war for that sort of thing, so that will just create problems.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
SwitchUP said:
EA: we cant sell loot shit boxes on the switch, so theres no room for our worthless garbage. Fuck you EA, nobody noticed you werent there any fucking way. This is the only company that's shittier than crapcom. What an achievement.

They are in Fifa 20 Switch version.

He probably meant, that people on Switch are less likely to buy into the loot box schemes. Which is funny, because yes, Nintendo keeps this shit mostly out of their console games, but on the other hand is all in with these garbage schemes in their mobile games.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

RolStoppable said:
KLXVER said:

That's one thing, but even Nintendos lazy WiiU ports outsell third parties. I think there are plenty of reasons for third parties to put several of their games on the Switch, but there are some truth to Nintendo games just dominating. I think ports of older games and new smaller games are the way to go on the Switch.

Nintendo's magic trick is to advertise the games they release on Switch, that's why even their ports of old games do so well.

Well, they missed out on advertising Tokyo Mirage Sessions, although you could say that technically this is more an Atlus-game than a Nintendo game. And yes, I see your point, in result the game seems not to sell all that eearth-shattering. Hopefully it does at least better than on WiiU.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Any third party company would be stupid to ignore an install base of 52 million and counting...

1doesnotsimply

Mnementh said:
Drakrami said:

Which decade do you live in? A million hasnt been enough for a long time for any game with a serious production budget. It used to be 3 million to be profitable back in the ps3 days. 

Sorry, if that were true, we would only see two or three titles each year. Budget is calculated based of expectations. Yes, some titles are calculated with two or three million sales for break-even, but they are seldom. For the most part titles need a few 100K to make their money back.

Do you even know what you are posting...? 

Let's take some EA games for example. Titanfall, or Mass Effect, or a new Dragon Age. You think they will be profitable selling 1 million? 

Let's look at smaller games. 

Kingdoms of Amalur sold something like 2.5mil, and the developer went bankrupt. 

Bayonetta1 is a small game, it sold at least 1.35mil last gen; and Platinum is quoted saying it did not meet expectations and thats why there was no sequel until Nintendo forked in some development money. 

Around the Network
Drakrami said:

Let's take some EA games for example. Titanfall, or Mass Effect, or a new Dragon Age. You think they will be profitable selling 1 million? 

Bayonetta1 is a small game, it sold at least 1.35mil last gen; and Platinum is quoted saying it did not meet expectations and thats why there was no sequel until Nintendo forked in some development money. 

Kingdoms of Amalur's studio went bankrupt because of a loan they took out which was around $75m to do a MMO project they had planned Kingdoms of Amalur could have sold 10m they would had still been in trouble as a result, Kingdoms of Amalur wasn't the problem had they stuck to those kind of games they would still be operating today just fine.

Bayonetta 1 sold 1.35m when it was in the bargain bin you know at prices like 5-10 quid and it was in bargain bins within a month after release compare this to Astral Chain that has sold 1.03m at full price the latter is far more profitable at less sales with a likely similar budget, business model is everything just because EA have one that desperately needs 5m or so doesn't mean everyone else does.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 02 February 2020

Drakrami said:
Mnementh said:

Sorry, if that were true, we would only see two or three titles each year. Budget is calculated based of expectations. Yes, some titles are calculated with two or three million sales for break-even, but they are seldom. For the most part titles need a few 100K to make their money back.

Wyrdness has adressed most of your post already. I want to add, that missed sales expectations and cancelling an IP is no indication, that saiid game wasn't profitable. Gaming studios don't have infinite development resources. They therefore concentrate on games which they expect the most profit for their investment on. So even if a game is profitable, the IP still can be shut down, because other projects bring in more money. That's why the big publishers throws their investments mostly at these online experiences with micro-transactions. This brings enourmous profit if it works out.

Development costs aren't the only factor. Bayonetta for example was published by Sega, and that can add additional complications to the mix. Every publisher can be...weird about what they want versus what the developer needs, and Sega is one of the ones I've heard as being....strange.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

KLXVER said:
RolStoppable said:

You can consider those sports games testruns to gauge how receptive Switch owners are to microtransactions. You can tell from those publishers' follow-up actions how successful their attempts were, especially EA.

You'll have to look for a BioShock trailer yourself.

I did. There was none. Guess Ill have to wait for the next Nintendo Direct to see a 15 second trailer before the 20 minute spotlight on Animal Crossing that everyone has already decided to buy...

How much time do you recommend third party games get on rapid fire Nintendo Switch headlines in Directs?

Even some Wii U ports got 15 second trailers in the Switch headlines.

KLXVER said:
CarcharodonKraz said:
Maybe when another company puts out a title on switch that's at least close the the quality and scope of an odyssey or BOTW, that 1st party line won't look so unbeatable. I've been waiting for such a title for about 3 years now. Haven't even seen nintendo do it let alone a 3rd party even try. Definitely opportunity here that no company has taken. Probably a little late now too.

That's one thing, but even Nintendos lazy WiiU ports outsell third parties. I think there are plenty of reasons for third parties to put several of their games on the Switch, but there are some truth to Nintendo games just dominating. I think ports of older games and new smaller games are the way to go on the Switch.

If  the goal is to play it safe and win small I completely agree. U want odyssey numbers u need an odyysey game. And sure u may come up a little short, but u sure  as hell beat nsmbu