By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA: "There isn't much room for other titles than 1st party on Switch"

DonFerrari said:
SKMBlake said:

Well Activision put Crash and Spyro trilogies, didn't they ?

And those games are well suited for the console

And EA put Unravel on Switch because that is also suited.

Now, they won't put a lot of money in a port that they don't expect to profit enough on the system. But as always everyone in VGC is a better businessman than company heads proven by track record of both =p

So? Only 1 title, yet a small title that they hardly promoted. 

Plants Vs Zombies, that's is famous title adapted as third person shooter guess wasn't suitable enough to even be tried in a platform that has Splatoon 2 as the best sold. What's the logic behind that? Just bc FIFA and Unravel 2 haven't sold 10M each on switch?

Last edited by 160rmf - on 01 February 2020

We reap what we sow

Around the Network
vivster said:
Dulfite said:
Vgchartz Switch Numbers in database:
Minecraft - 1.89 million
Skyrim - 1.15 million
Crash Bandicoot trilogy - 1.11 million
Fifa18 - 1.10 million
Octopath Traveler - 1.02 million

How many does EA need to sell to think it's profitable? If a million isn't enough then that's sad. I'm sure if they released all their games on Switch they'd sell enough to profit and save their company some face.

Compare it to 3rd party numbers on other consoles with similar install bases and suddenly it's relative. And look at that list. Skyrim and Minecraft are probably the most popular 3rd parties that exist in the industry and they struggle to jump over a mere million. Fifa is by far the biggest selling sports franchise in the world. Octopath Traveler was exclusive to Switch for the longest time. If that is what it takes to break a mere million on the currently most popular console you might see why people think 3rd party doesn't have much of a place on a console that is completely dominated by 1st party games.

For most people the Switch is only the 3rd best choice to experience 3rd party games and it's easy to see why.

At least try to look serious for a second. Many of those are old ports (fifa is a gimped multi and octopath a new exclusive) and minecraft is at around 4m now. All of them and many others sold great. Many switch versions (even old ports) also outsold their xbox one counterparts with ease.

PAOerfulone said:
So who's worse when it comes to supporting the switch?

EAt shit or Crapcom?

That is no competition. I don't get the hate towards Capcoms support. Capcom brings awesome games to the Switch: a shitload of Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Dragons Dogma, a shitload of Mega Man, Devil May Cry 1-3, Okami, Street Fighter. The games are mostly proper ports, sometimes even great ports (like DMC 3). The only thing is: Capcom cheaps out on the cartridges.

EA on the other hand… has FIFA legacy and Unravel. Woohoo.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Barkley said:

Third party games do perform very poorly on the Switch compared to other platforms. Doesn't mean it can't be profitable though.

Yes, I'm sure Dragon's Dogma should be outselling Breath of the Wild, right? If you want reward, put in the effort.

SwitchUP said:
EA: we cant sell loot shit boxes on the switch, so theres no room for our worthless garbage. Fuck you EA, nobody noticed you werent there any fucking way. This is the only company that's shittier than crapcom. What an achievement.

They are in Fifa 20 Switch version.

Around the Network

Maybe when another company puts out a title on switch that's at least close the the quality and scope of an odyssey or BOTW, that 1st party line won't look so unbeatable. I've been waiting for such a title for about 3 years now. Haven't even seen nintendo do it let alone a 3rd party even try. Definitely opportunity here that no company has taken. Probably a little late now too.

CarcharodonKraz said:
Maybe when another company puts out a title on switch that's at least close the the quality and scope of an odyssey or BOTW, that 1st party line won't look so unbeatable. I've been waiting for such a title for about 3 years now. Haven't even seen nintendo do it let alone a 3rd party even try. Definitely opportunity here that no company has taken. Probably a little late now too.

That's one thing, but even Nintendos lazy WiiU ports outsell third parties. I think there are plenty of reasons for third parties to put several of their games on the Switch, but there are some truth to Nintendo games just dominating. I think ports of older games and new smaller games are the way to go on the Switch.

RolStoppable said:
KLXVER said:

That's one thing, but even Nintendos lazy WiiU ports outsell third parties. I think there are plenty of reasons for third parties to put several of their games on the Switch, but there are some truth to Nintendo games just dominating. I think ports of older games and new smaller games are the way to go on the Switch.

Nintendo's magic trick is to advertise the games they release on Switch, that's why even their ports of old games do so well.

True, but they could have more than 3 Directs a year to help hype up some of the bigger third party games. They make money on them too after all. 

What is the part about 'brainwashed' exactly getting at? I mean Nintendo games are fairly different in types. I mean I alone have Splatoon 2, Breath of the Wild, Mario Od, Smash, and Fire Emblem on high playcounts, also Pokemon.

That's several genres...heck I have several other series from other developers. Even Overwatch, and that seems to get plenty of players on it given it doesn't crossplay. Activision might be horrible, but at least they seem to be up for supporting the thing as part of their 'release less' plans.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

RolStoppable said:
KLXVER said:

True, but they could have more than 3 Directs a year to help hype up some of the bigger third party games. They make money on them too after all. 

I am not talking about the limited reach of Directs, but TV commercials. Nintendo lets the masses know that Donkey Kong Country and Captain Toad are on Switch, for example.

I would say TV has the limited reach at this point. Im 38 and don't watch TV anymore. Not sure many younger gamers do either at this point. 

Anyway, third parties usually include that a game is on the Switch as well in their commercials on YouTube, Twitter and game sites, so I don't see what else they could do tbh.