By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

numberwang said:

Here is the table with the death toll for both groups vaxxed vs. placebo from the appendix. As you can see, there were 0 "covid-deaths" in the vaccinated and 1 "covid-pneumonia-death". There were 2 "covid-deaths" in the placebo group.

On the other hand, there was a strange cluster of 9 deaths in the cardiovascular field overall among the vaccinated but only 2 (or 3) in the placebo group.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.07.28.21261159v1.full-text

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/medrxiv/early/2021/07/28/2021.07.28.21261159/DC1/embed/media-1.pdf?download=true

And why do you think the researchers did not bring up any concerns about these 9 apparent "heart related" clustered deaths in the vaccinated group that weren't seen in the control group? My guess would be that when you have two groups of 20,000 and you have 15 deaths in each that you are going to get random differences like this because you don't have enough people dying to make statistically significant conclusions. In the control group you had 2 die from myocardial infarction and 2 die from multiple organ disfunction syndrome that didn't die in the vaccinated group but I would never use that to claim that the vaccine protects against those two conditions. 

Now let's take a worst case scenario: all 9 heart related deaths were due to the vaccine. So that's 0.045% of people dying from heart related problems when vaccinated. That's difficult to make conclusions about in a group of 20,000 but we have 164m fully vaccinated people in the US so if this is real we would expect to have 70,000 excess deaths from Heart related issues in the last 6 months. Do you see any evidence for that being the case? 

Also this is making the assumption that all those heart related deaths will be in excess in the vaccinated group even though that wasn't the case in the study we're looking at since both groups had the same amount of total deaths so there's no real reason to think that these heart related deaths are occurring in excess to the number you'd usually expect in a random group of 20,000 people over 6 months. 

Around the Network

I got my first shot today. 3 weeks until the 2nd shot. Took about 40 minutes in and out, which is a bit long for my taste, but it's done. I think it is good timing too, I should be well protected for the first few months and in 2022, there should be a booster shot for any stronger variants.

I was thinking something crazy the other day. That with the first wave of coronavirus, Asia was largely unaffected. Why? I have no idea. But a thought I had was that in February 2020, I was severely sick and wearing no mask, as were many other people. I went to work as usual and 100s of people were sick at my workplace. This country is very close to China in proximity. Economically, trade is booming between the 2 countries and so many people would be flying between the countries with business deals. So if Covid spreads as fast as we think it did, I don't think it would be too wild to have already spread throughout Japan by then. I think a lot of people were sick before many cases were known. So when the "first wave" came, a lot of people here already had the first wave before. Or maybe it was a severe flu, which can be dangerous too.

Now Delta variant is spreading, and antibodies/immunity to the first strain does not protect against the more dangerous Delta variant.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

Over 72,6% have had 1 vaccine shot, and likewise over 55% have had both.
Denmark is slowly but surely getting there, the day when we re all vaxxed.

Think this means, we ve overtaken UK, Spain, and Canada (atleast when it comes to 1jab).
I think the last limiting factor, will ultimately be how many anti vaxxers each country has.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 02 August 2021

Ka-pi96 said:

Just got a 6k bill for the covid test. Ridiculous. Health care costs are an absolute scam in this country! I hate the money grabbing bastards!

6000 Yen right?

55 USD.

Still thats on the expensive end, alot of places getting a test is free.

JRPGfan said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Just got a 6k bill for the covid test. Ridiculous. Health care costs are an absolute scam in this country! I hate the money grabbing bastards!

6000 Yen right?

55 USD.

Still thats on the expensive end, alot of places getting a test is free.

I paid 150eur for a PCR back in March.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

I think we should start hiding vaccines in cheese rolls. you know, because we apparently have to trick people into taking their medicine so they don't perpetuate a goddamn lethal virus.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Farsala said:

I got my first shot today. 3 weeks until the 2nd shot. Took about 40 minutes in and out, which is a bit long for my taste, but it's done. I think it is good timing too, I should be well protected for the first few months and in 2022, there should be a booster shot for any stronger variants.

I was thinking something crazy the other day. That with the first wave of coronavirus, Asia was largely unaffected. Why? I have no idea. But a thought I had was that in February 2020, I was severely sick and wearing no mask, as were many other people. I went to work as usual and 100s of people were sick at my workplace. This country is very close to China in proximity. Economically, trade is booming between the 2 countries and so many people would be flying between the countries with business deals. So if Covid spreads as fast as we think it did, I don't think it would be too wild to have already spread throughout Japan by then. I think a lot of people were sick before many cases were known. So when the "first wave" came, a lot of people here already had the first wave before. Or maybe it was a severe flu, which can be dangerous too.

Now Delta variant is spreading, and antibodies/immunity to the first strain does not protect against the more dangerous Delta variant.

Neither SARS-CoV-2 antibodies nor significantly cross-reactive antibodies from another virus were found in appreciable amounts in Eastern Asian populations. It was a common theory back then, but alas.

On the other hand...

Using our previous epidemiological framework to analyze COVID-19 surveillance and sequence data, we estimated that the G614 mutant is 31% (28-34%) more transmissible than the D614 wildtype. As such, interventions that were previously effective in containing or mitigating the D614 wildtype (e.g. in China, Vietnam, Thailand, etc.) might be less effective against the G614 mutant. Source.

The mean Rt for lineage A from Australia and USA were estimated as 1.75 and 1.74, respectively. However, the mean Rt for lineage B from Australia and USA were estimated as 2.33 and 3.18, respectively. Source.

Closing borders might have helped contain the odd B.1 or VoI case that passed through in Eastern Asia, but Delta was just too much.

*sighs*

As of today, workers (and only workers) are again required to wear masks at the grocery store where I work regardless of vaccination status, even though I can prove I'm vaccinated. I got my second Pfizer shot on April 7th. I'm kind of annoyed.

JRPGfan said:

"We will all "get" this thing multiple times in our lives, like we come across the other four endemic seasonal coronaviruses."

Hope it doesnt play out that way.
Too many people already effected, will feel the effects of lasting damage done by this virus (some of it permanent).
If this continues onwards, for the rest of our lifetimes, there will be very few "healthy" humans left, and lots of people with various forms of damaged health.

Which by the way always bugged me about the argument, that only old people and people with preexisting conditions will die from it. But if the COVID infection turns into a preexisting condition, then getting COVID means you might be more likely to die or get complications on the next illness, even if COVID doesn't kill you directly. This could lower overall life expectancy, if many people are affected.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

SvennoJ said:
TallSilhouette said:

Shit. The vaccines at least still lessen your symptoms, right?

Yes it does, hospitalizations are way down on vaccinated people and deaths even more. However the idea of stopping the spread with vaccines is just not going to happen and another wave in fall is pretty much a given now travel is starting up again.

Which is very bad news for people that can't be vaccinated or have lessened effect on vaccination. We had the chance to eradicate the virus, as we did with the first SARS. But now it seems more likely this virus will get endemic and over time everyone will get infected at some point.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]