Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

You concerned yet?

Yes 88 48.62%

No, but I will be followi... 50 27.62%

No, its being overblown 43 23.76%

Total:181

Part of the recent new outbreaks in Japan:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/dozens-of-u-s-marines-in-japan-s-okinawa-get-coronavirus-1.5020248

Dozens of U.S. Marines at two bases on the southern Japanese island of Okinawa have been infected with the coronavirus in what is feared to be a massive outbreak, Okinawa's governor said Saturday, demanding an adequate explanation from the U.S. military.

Gov. Denny Tamaki said he could say only that a "few dozen" cases had been found recently because the U.S. military asked that the exact figure not be released. The outbreaks occurred at Marine Corps. Air Station Futenma, which is at the centre of a relocation dispute, and Camp Hansen, Tamaki said.

Local media, citing unnamed sources, said about 60 people had been infected. "Okinawans are shocked by what we were told (by the U.S. military)," Tamaki told a news conference. "We now have strong doubts that the U.S. military has taken adequate disease prevention measures."

Okinawa is home to more than half of about 50,000 American troops based in Japan under a bilateral security pact, and the residents are sensitive to U.S. base-related problems. Many Okinawans have long complained about pollution, noise and crime related to U.S. bases.

Okinawa has about 150 cases of the coronavirus. In all, Japan has about 21,000 cases and 1,000 deaths, with Tokyo reporting more than 200 new cases for a third straight day Saturday.

Why are there 50,000 American troops in Japan?

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/dozens-of-u-s-marines-in-japan-s-okinawa-get-coronavirus-1.5020248

Dozens of U.S. Marines at two bases on the southern Japanese island of Okinawa have been infected with the coronavirus in what is feared to be a massive outbreak, Okinawa's governor said Saturday, demanding an adequate explanation from the U.S. military.

Gov. Denny Tamaki said he could say only that a "few dozen" cases had been found recently because the U.S. military asked that the exact figure not be released. The outbreaks occurred at Marine Corps. Air Station Futenma, which is at the centre of a relocation dispute, and Camp Hansen, Tamaki said.

Local media, citing unnamed sources, said about 60 people had been infected. "Okinawans are shocked by what we were told (by the U.S. military)," Tamaki told a news conference. "We now have strong doubts that the U.S. military has taken adequate disease prevention measures."

Okinawa is home to more than half of about 50,000 American troops based in Japan under a bilateral security pact, and the residents are sensitive to U.S. base-related problems. Many Okinawans have long complained about pollution, noise and crime related to U.S. bases.

Okinawa has about 150 cases of the coronavirus. In all, Japan has about 21,000 cases and 1,000 deaths, with Tokyo reporting more than 200 new cases for a third straight day Saturday.

I thought US army cases count as part of the US totals.

Japan is thinking of easing the entry restrictions for tourists. Maybe I'll be able to go there this year after all. Though I figure my chances of that are about 10%.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

SvennoJ said:

Because 75 years ago the US government thought "Let's keep a close eye on those unruly people so they don't do it again". In the following decades, they have simply forgotten to pack up and leave...

jason1637 said:

I thought US army cases count as part of the US totals.

Yep they are listed under US military, 23,842 reported cases to date. Yet I assume they leave the base and visit the nearby town as well. Or maybe it's on actual lock down, I don't know.

Follow up on the bus driver who was attacked in France.

A bus driver in France who was beaten up by passengers refusing to wear mandatory face masks died in hospital Friday, French Prime Minister Jean Castex and the victim's family have said. Philippe Monguillot, 59, was left brain dead after the attack in the southwestern city of Bayonne on July 5. His family decided to switch off his life support on Friday, news agency Agence France-Presse reported.

Four men were detained and charged following the assault. The company Monguillot worked for, Keoilis, has boosted security for its employees, deploying guards on some of its bus services in the area.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

This quote from your post explains it "Okinawa is home to more than half of about 50,000 American troops based in Japan under a bilateral security pact"

EricHiggin said:

And when the power goes out to a hospital, and the back up generators unfortunately don't fire up, who get's up in the middle of the night and does what's necessary to get the power back up asap for those needy people? Or maybe an old folks home in the middle of the freezing winter or dead heat of summer. Gotta fix the pole line in this case? Mother nature doesn't care. The storm ain't going anywhere, so save yourself, them, or try to do both as safely as possible. Sometimes all don't get saved, and sometimes the help goes along with them.

Luckily for Earth there's more than just one superhero..

Though I, respect that you do what you do.

You do know what an essential worker is right? Going into lockdown does not mean and has not ever meant any of that halts... Meaning your entire argument is non-sequitur.

If you truly respect what I do, put other people first for once, wear a mask, conform to social distancing, be sanitary, don't be selfish.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 11 July 2020

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

SvennoJ said:

You're familiar with politics, so you already know why.
As a Japanese, I want them to leave.

Chicho said:

This quote from your post explains it "Okinawa is home to more than half of about 50,000 American troops based in Japan under a bilateral security pact"

Yes, but why is that still in effect.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

You're familiar with politics, so you already know why.
As a Japanese, I want them to leave.

And Trump wants you to pay for them being there
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/06/22/national/us-donald-trump-japan-troops-john-bolton/

U.S. President Donald Trump has demanded that Japan pay $8 billion per year for costs associated with hosting American troops — or risk their withdrawal — former national security adviser John Bolton has alleged in his new memoir.

The demand, the hawkish former top security official wrote, was part of a negotiating strategy he said Trump had termed “cost plus 50 percent” — the amount that the U.S. would seek from allies where it had troops stationed.

Trump, Bolton wrote, said the best way to get allies like Japan and South Korea to pay the substantial increases, “was to threaten to withdraw all U.S. forces.”

Why not say, pack up and leave!

Is the Japanese government that worried about North Korea and China that they need 50K American troops in their backyard?

vivster said:
Japan is thinking of easing the entry restrictions for tourists. Maybe I'll be able to go there this year after all. Though I figure my chances of that are about 10%.

Don't get your hopes up. They're also thinking about making business closure requests in Kanto again now.

Really hope if they do it's the full closure type so I can get paid for not working rather than the things should be closed but unless you keep going to work no money for you type of closure. IIRC last time the latter happened towards the end of March/early April and the stay at home for half pay closure wasn't on offer until mid-May.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702