By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Mnementh said:
SvennoJ said:

Yes it does, hospitalizations are way down on vaccinated people and deaths even more. However the idea of stopping the spread with vaccines is just not going to happen and another wave in fall is pretty much a given now travel is starting up again.

Which is very bad news for people that can't be vaccinated or have lessened effect on vaccination. We had the chance to eradicate the virus, as we did with the first SARS. But now it seems more likely this virus will get endemic and over time everyone will get infected at some point.

Yep, and even if you can be vaccinated, that doesn't mean it won't still affect you badly. My wife had enough trouble with the vaccine already. Getting yearly Covid, no matter if it's weaker, won't do her lungs any good.

The government just release a part of their back to school plan (only one month left). Schools should look into air quality (late as always, should have done last year) and masks are here to stay. Mandatory for grade 1 to 12, medical grade masks for staff. Still going on with cohorts and social distancing but no longer any capacity restrictions. Meanwhile everyone must be prepared to switch to online learning if necessary. It's so not over.

Yet maybe it will help keep the flu under control. My wife usually ends up with some form of pneumonia at the end of fall from the kids bring all kinds of viruses home from school. She's been pneumonia free since the Pandemic got up to steam. Silver lining. The kids really need that social interaction again though, they haven't seen a class room since March 2020.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
haxxiy said:

Delta version even though its more contagious, actually has higher risk of serious illness, than the previous versions.

The idea that, it will just mutate, and eventually become harmless common cold/flu, isnt what has happend so far.
Its now both more contagious, and people that get it, get more sick.

"We will all "get" this thing multiple times in our lives, like we come across the other four endemic seasonal coronaviruses."

Hope it doesnt play out that way.
Too many people already effected, will feel the effects of lasting damage done by this virus (some of it permanent).
If this continues onwards, for the rest of our lifetimes, there will be very few "healthy" humans left, and lots of people with various forms of damaged health.

Let me clarify: pandemic viruses have no reason to get "less harmful" since they are, by default, extremely effective at infecting people and having them spread the disease. What usually happens is that people develop protective immunity to it in time. So even as sterilizing immunity wanes due to antibody half-life and antigenic drift, almost everyone will be eventually protected against severe disease and death.

I'd hope a single exposure/vaccine would suffice to get there; the very elderly, HIV+, immunosuppressed, etc. often have few naïve B and T cells left so it might not be that simple. But for most of us that will likely be the case.

Important to note, too, that lasting damage is not novel and exclusive to SARS-CoV-2. Some of the past pandemics have shown the same pattern, such as the one that was likely caused by HCoV-OC43:

The long recovery period mentioned in the German survey and British publications and the frequent neurological sequels mentioned in many British case reports from the 1889 pandemic and the following years of fatigue, lack of concentration, depression and anxiety also resemble what is now described as long haulers or long covid symptoms (Honigsbaum and Krishnan, 2020).

According to medical journals back them:

"The long enduring evil effects of an access of Influenza in a large proportion of cases suggests that the materies morbi is only slowly extinguished in or eliminated from the system. Some subjects experience a weekly attack or relapse for many weeks after the primary access. It may take the form of great impairment of mental and physical power, or the more definite shape of vertigo or cardiac depression with general arterial relaxation necessitating recourse to the recumbent position.… Relapses …are of frequent occurrence; they occurred in 9% of the cases." Source.

Nowadays, coronavirus OC43 is thought guilty of the occasional neurological disease, and coronavirus NL63 is suspected of causing Kawasaki's, so it's not like sequelae disappear 100% after the virus becomes endemic, but it is what it is.

Hey people hope you all are staying safe.

I have a question for pfizer takers

I'm flying back to my job in Dubai two days after my second Pfizer shot is scheduled here in the United States. I'm afraid that the symptoms of the second shot is going to prevent me from from flying.

How bad are the symptoms, when do they emerge, and how long do they last? More specifically, I'm talking about the fever. they will turn my ass around if I'm fevering.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

I was part of an early vaccine trial back in November, but I'm pretty sure those assholes gave me a placebo.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

hatmoza said:

I'm flying back to my job in Dubai two days after my second Pfizer shot is scheduled here in the United States. I'm afraid that the symptoms of the second shot is going to prevent me from from flying.

How bad are the symptoms, when do they emerge, and how long do they last? More specifically, I'm talking about the fever. they will turn my ass around if I'm fevering.

my experiance:

1st shot, I had a old nurse with cross eyes, but she was good at jabing (pushing the needle in).
So I bearly felt it.  However by night time, my arm was sore, which made sleeping irritable, as I tend to sleep on my sides (and alter between both).
Next day, basically by the end of it, the soreness was gone. I noticed I was a tiny bit more sleepy than normal that day.. next day I was fine.

2nd shot. I had a younger fit (hot) nurse do the jab.... it hurt abit more.
Again, I was sore in the arm, though less than the first time (oddly enough, considering her not as gentle touch, with the jab).
I was once more, abit sore in the arm (though less than the first time), and it was gone the next day as well.

Seriously, not sure if Im just "lucky", but I went to take the vaccine with my mom, and she basically had the same experiance (though milder than mine).
I've talked with others in my circle, and the scare of the "symptoms" of the shots, seems way over blown (ei. people I talked with haven't experianced anything noticeable).  First shot actually seemed worse than the 2nd one (more sore, and tired, than the 2nd shot)

I can tell you that a cusin of mine, got corona, and is sick as a dog now, and wishing he had gotten vaccinated earlier.

I dont think you should worry about getting the vaccine.
Even if it was like the day of the flight, or day before.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 04 August 2021

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
hatmoza said:

I'm just going to copy/paste @Ryuu96 "Can't really say, depends on the person, I felt absolutely nothing from the 2nd shot except a sore arm which lasted shorter than the 1st shot,"

That is my exact experience.  Only thing that hurt was my arm and it didn't even last that long.

^ lmao, Ryuu96 had same experiance as me.

First shot, actually seemed worse.
The swelling and soreness, was worse first time around for me as well.
I think it was 3-4 weeks lateron, I took the 2nd shot, and the swelling/soreness wasnt nearly as bad, that time.
I was abit tired, the first shot too... probably just your immune system putting in work.

Ryuu96 said:
hatmoza said:

Can't really say, depends on the person, I felt absolutely nothing from the 2nd shot except a sore arm which lasted shorter than the 1st shot, my mum felt nothing from the 2nd shot or 1st shot, my brother was hit quite a bit by the 2nd shot and slept most of the day away, Lol.

But ehh, I think 2 days after the jab you should be fine? Symptoms shouldn't really last longer than a day from what I've read and seen for myself (my brothers symptoms lasted less than a day).

Lmao, I went to take it with my mom too.
So we talked about it afterwards. She barely had any soreness or anything either.

Bandorr said:
hatmoza said:

I'm just going to copy/paste @Ryuu96 "Can't really say, depends on the person, I felt absolutely nothing from the 2nd shot except a sore arm which lasted shorter than the 1st shot,"

That is my exact experience.  Only thing that hurt was my arm and it didn't even last that long.

Exactly the same here.

I got both shots around 6 PM and after the first shot I couldn't sleep on the side with the sore arm that night. It simply hurt too much.

After the second shot I barely noticed it after a few hours.

JRPGfan said:

my experiance:

1st shot, I had a old nurse with cross eyes, but she was good at jabing (pushing the needle in).

This popped into my head when I read your post.  It's been decades since I've seen it. Lol.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Of all the people getting shots that I know of, only my wife (who has underlying conditions) got a fever from the second shot. I only had a sore arm for 2 days, nothing else. If you're otherwise healthy, it most likely won't affect you.

We're now at 60% fully vaccinated, yet cases are rising in BC from the delta variant. It will be here before fall. The downward trend has already stopped and cases are starting to creep up again. Get your shot!

DroidKnight said:
JRPGfan said:

my experiance:

This popped into my head when I read your post.  It's been decades since I've seen it. Lol.

I don't blame you... when I saw her what popped into my head was this:

(the doc from Cannonball run)

However, she proved the myth that you want a "experianced" hand, when you get anything with medicin done.
Old rutined nurse > hot young one, when it comes to jabbing (atleast in my case)

Ryuu96 said:
DroidKnight said:

Now I'm reminded of this.

That seems wreckless.
She "seems" to want to throw the needle (away), into her tray, but ends up throwing it into the arm/elbow of the lady instead.

I'd be angry if someone in healthcare did the same to me.
You can tell the lady who got the shot, seemed fine with the first (planned) jab, however the elbow toss one, hurt.
Shes ofc also surprised :) Still this seems like wreckless behavior from the nurse.