By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Yeah, some people act as if Delta is the only variant capable of breakthrough infections. Not!

LurkerJ said:

is it figured out at all why mRNA vaccines cause myocarditis? Lots of people get mild myocarditis throughout their lives without even knowing they had one (we now that because some of those present years later with cardiomyopathy that is put down to a previous viral infection). While AZ is the Russian vaccines are great, it is expected (theoretically) that they will generate weaker and weaker responses because the body will attack the adenovirus that carries the spike proteins before the body gets to mount any measurable immune response to the spike protein, leaving the mRNA vaccines as much better candidates to be the "booster" vaccines. But if everyone is going to get it yearly, it is important to get figure out why myocarditis happen or we (theoretically) may end up with a good number of patients with bad hearts because of the vaccines.

That's a strange concern, to begin with - that the spike antibodies would wane but the nucleocapsid ones formed against the adenovirus vector wouldn't. But nucleocapsid antibodies aren't produced in appreciable quantities nor do they last for long periods of time.

If this was gene therapy, then yeah, it could be an issue. For anything else? I doubt it.

Around the Network
LurkerJ said:

is it figured out at all why mRNA vaccines cause myocarditis? Lots of people get mild myocarditis throughout their lives without even knowing they had one (we now that because some of those present years later with cardiomyopathy that is put down to a previous viral infection). While AZ is the Russian vaccines are great, it is expected (theoretically) that they will generate weaker and weaker responses because the body will attack the adenovirus that carries the spike proteins before the body gets to mount any measurable immune response to the spike protein, leaving the mRNA vaccines as much better candidates to be the "booster" vaccines. But if everyone is going to get it yearly, it is important to get figure out why myocarditis happen or we (theoretically) may end up with a good number of patients with bad hearts because of the vaccines.

Dr. JohnCampbell has a theory, that it might be due to some people getting vaccinated where they either hit a vein, or miss the muscle.
This would allow the vaccine to flow either in direct bloodstream, or just move around more easily than in muscle, to eventually reach other places of the body, in larger amounts than wanted (ei. heart, as its a pump where blood passes through).  Then the heart becomes inflamed, and your immune system is fighting it's battle, with the vaccine there, instead of in your arm.

He wants there to be a procedure, were you check after the jab, by drawing in blood, before pushing the vaccine in, to know if your actually inside the muscle. Apparently basically non that vaccinate do this, so its not unthinkable that a few people with the needle fumble it, occasionally, which could lead to these outcomes.

Apart from that, apparently this "light" myocarditis, usually goes away without any lasting damage.
However, thats under the assumption, that you dont strain your heart, with say hard workouts, and such (which could lead to easier tearing, punctures ect).

So he also wants people told, after getting vaccinated, your not allowed to stress your body for a week or two.
Basically go relax, dont do any hard labour or workouts.

This would basically all but iliminate the mydocarditis haveing lasting effects from vaccine shots (which is already very rare).

*edit:
Also theres worse drawbacks with the non mRNA ones.
Strokes and blood clots, and brain damage ect.... which is why they recammend useing one of the mRNA ones, for younger people.

*edit2:

"...we (theoretically) may end up with a good number of patients with bad hearts because of the vaccines."

^ non issue, when not getting vaccinated, does the same and worse. When you get corona.
Plenty of people, will have lasting damage to their bodies from corona.This will be a issue for the next 20-30years likely, with spikes in people with diabetes because of it, people needing glasses, and a whole slew of other things.

Apparently they studied peoples intelligence after contracting covid, and found people hospitalised, had a drop of like 5 points of IQ. Which is apparently significant, its worse than people that suffer a stroke, and get mild brain damage.

Corona can damage your heart, kidneys, lunges, testies, and more, it goes everywhere and wrecks, and alot of it is permanent.
Get the vaccine, dont get a bad case of the rona = profit.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 08 August 2021

Weekly update, still rising

In total 4.55 million new cases were reported last week (up from 4.39 million) to a total of 206,910,486
Also another 67,791 more deaths were reported (up from 66,159) to a total of 4,553,995

Europe slowed down but is starting to creep back up, USA is still increasing

The continents

Asia reported 1.88 million new cases (slightly up from 1.86 million) and 32,879 more deaths (up from 31,732)
North America reported 1.19 million new cases (up from 1.01 million) and 9,895 more deaths (up from 8,375)
Europe reported 864K new cases (up from 838K) and 8,194 more deaths (up from 7.946)
South America reported 349K new cases (down from 404K) and 10.392 more deaths (down from 11,377)
Africa reported 263K new cases (down from 275K) and 6,314 more deaths (down from 6,653)
Oceania reported 12.2K new cases (up from 11.5K) and 117 deaths (76 last week)

Corners of the world

USA reported 918K new cases (up from 759K) and 4,520 more deaths (up from 3,577)
Iran reported 267K new cases (up from 242K) and 3,656 more deaths (up from 2,742)
India reported 261K new cases (down from 282K) and 3,361 more deaths (down from 3,559)
Brazil reported 210K new cases (down from 228K) and 6,107 more deaths (down from 6,295)
Japan reported 102K new cases (up from 83.0K) and 118 deaths (67 last week)
South Africa reported 71.2K new cases (down from 76.1K) and 2,279 more deaths (down from 2,673)
South Korea reported 14.7K new cases (up from 10.6K) and 35 deaths (24 last week)
Canada reported 12.2K new cases (up from 7,412) and 44 deaths (65 last week)
Australia reported 2,968 new cases (up from 1,779) and 20 deaths (10 last week)

Europe in detail, a general upwards trend after the initial rapid growth

I'm getting my first shot next Saturday, probably gonna be AstraZeneca or Pfizer, but there are chances for Coronovac and Janssen. Cases overall are down, first shots are progressing quickly, but people not coming back for the second one is concerning 

I'm a little bit proud of my country. Even though we do have anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists like everywhere else, almost half the population has gotten their 2nd dose already. And while the big countries where arguing about whether or not a third dose would be needed, halft a million people here already has gotten their THIRD shot. And given that we've been almost a week with no reported deaths (while most restrictions have already been lifted) I think it has worked.

I'm gonna try to get my third shot on Monday.

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

I'm getting my first shot next Saturday, probably gonna be AstraZeneca or Pfizer, but there are chances for Coronovac and Janssen. Cases overall are down, first shots are progressing quickly, but people not coming back for the second one is concerning 

Is there any reason not to come back for a second shot? I can imagine concerns for not getting the vaccine at all, yet why only one shot?

SvennoJ said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Is there any reason not to come back for a second shot? I can imagine concerns for not getting the vaccine at all, yet why only one shot?

Most people got their vaccines out of fear, no sense of community whatsoever 

With both cases and deaths decreasing there will be no longer the same fear, as such people are more likely to skip a second shot because they feel things are "safe enough" 

Hopefully I'll be proven wrong

Edit: There is also an on going problem, shortages of Astrazeneca vaccines. This is delaying second shot schedule and with delays people can be discouraged to take their second shots 

About 50% of people here are vaccinated with Astrazeneca, we have more than enough Pfizer to make up those numbers and so far researches indicate both have good synergy

Problem is we need to preserve Pfizer to vaccinate our teenager population, my city will apply Pfizer for kids and teens starting next week. It's our only vaccine that can be safely used on youths 

The second option is to use Coronavac as second shots for those who got Astrazeneca, and use Pfizer for elders third shot and teens first shots 

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 14 August 2021

I'm getting Pfizer tomorrow but since vaccination is also open for stragglers I fear a lot of people might show up since the available vaccine will be Pfizer (a lot of people refusing Coronavac). So get in line early or miss out - ugh.

Thanks for the responses, but I have to admit. That second pfizer shot kicked the ever living shit out of me. Fevers that cycled every two hours, night chills, night sweats, daytime sweats, hallucinations. And migraine like headaches along with fatigue. It felt exactly like the flu.

It started about ten hours after the jab, and lasted 24 hours.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

hatmoza said:

Thanks for the responses, but I have to admit. That second pfizer shot kicked the ever living shit out of me. Fevers that cycled every two hours, night chills, night sweats, daytime sweats, hallucinations. And migraine like headaches along with fatigue. It felt exactly like the flu.

It started about ten hours after the jab, and lasted 24 hours.

Thats so drastically differnt from what I experianced....  I just got a mildly sore arm, and abit of fatigue that day.
Next day I was back to normal.

I didnt bother checking for fever or anything (doubt I even had a temp), no headaches or chills or anything.
Everyones immune system respondes differntly, but even then, I suspect its pretty rare to even get symptoms.

If this is how you handle the vaccine, your probably lucky its not the real Covid your getting instead.