By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Got Pfizer today, second dose November 8th. Just a little bit of a sore arm so far.

Edit - son of a bitch, arm's getting worse if anything.

Edit 2 - seriously dude. Maybe that needle is still in there somewhere.

Last edited by haxxiy - on 16 August 2021

Around the Network

In another water is wet study, Younger children may be more likely to transmit COVID-19
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/younger-children-may-be-more-likely-to-transmit-covid-19-study-says-1.5548892

What did they test, one person in the household contracts Covid-19, which age group is most likely to infect the rest of the household.

The original infected children were divided into four age groups (0–3, 4–8, 9–13 and 14–17 years old). Of these groups, children aged 0 to 3 years had the highest odds of transmission. Children aged 4 to 8 years and 9 to 13 years also had higher odds of transmission than the eldest group. The results indicate younger children may be more likely to transmit COVID-19 compared to older children.

I don't need a study to come to the conclusion that close interactions have more chance to spread Covid....

dx11332sega said:
haxxiy said:

Got Pfizer today, second dose November 8th. Just a little bit of a sore arm so far.

I also got Pfizer though this will sound embarassing the only pain I got was whenever I sat on anything even something as soft as a bed my butt cheeks started hurting like I had to game laying on my stomach whole day , I no longer have pain there.

Did you get the jab in the arm? I know leg/arse, is a possible thing too, but for speed, most countries choose to adminster it in the arm.

haxxiy said:

First shot I got was worse too.
That day, I had swelling and soreness in the area around the jab.

I tried to sleep on belly or otherarm side, when I had to go to bed.
Thats what I call a "sore arm".

your edits made me laugh out loud :)
(thinking back to when I got it, and also had a sore arm)

its been a day since you posted.... hopefully your arm is now back to normal or just about?
(in mycase it only lasted like a day or so)

JRPGfan said:
haxxiy said:

First shot I got was worse too.
That day, I had swelling and soreness in the area around the jab.

I tried to sleep on belly or otherarm side, when I had to go to bed.
Thats what I call a "sore arm".

your edits made me laugh out loud :)
(thinking back to when I got it, and also had a sore arm)

its been a day since you posted.... hopefully your arm is now back to normal or just about?
(in mycase it only lasted like a day or so)

Yeah, first night going to sleep was a bit troublesome. Second day was better, and today there's no soreness, just felt some pain at the site of application when I went swimming. There's a very faint blur in my arm that could be a bruise, so perhaps the nurse hit some small vessel.

Now second dose is 8th of November. A lot of waiting but it does look like the immune response is better and longer-lasting with the bigger gap.

Man shot outside Houston grocery store 11 days ago still awaiting treatment b/c hospital overrun with Covid patients.

It's been 10 days since Joel Valdez was shot outside of a Houston grocery store, and he still hasn't been able to undergo surgery, due to his hospital being overcrowded with COVID-19 patients.

Valdez was sitting inside his car on Aug. 6 when he was shot six times, an innocent bystander caught in the crossfire of a domestic dispute. He was brought to Ben Taub Hospital, where as of Monday morning the intensive care unit was at 103 percent capacity, with 33 percent of the beds filled with COVID-19 patients, The Washington Post reports.

Valdez was shot three times in his left shoulder and needs surgery, but the hospital is so overwhelmed by COVID-19 that he's still waiting. "Everybody is really surprised I'm still in this bed a week later," he told Fox 26 over the weekend.

"My BoDy My ChOiCe!", "how dare the government force me to wear a mask or require proof of vaccination indoors! The nerve!"

Fuck anti-vaxxers til the end of time. 

Around the Network

Regarding boosters in Israel, the US, etc.

I'm not sure if that's a good idea. While a lot of folks predicted the very tight 21-day schedule would not lead to an enduring response since it basically works like a giant prime dose, it feels like the right decision at the time since it saved a lot of lives before Alpha arrived.

But now here we are. While the waning in antibody levels would suffice to protect against Alpha or basal B.1 after six months, the other VoCs and VoIs are much more refractory to nAbs. I think it's now clear VE will decline much faster against these variants. If it weren't Delta, it would be Gamma or Beta breaking through.

Of course, it's important to look at protection vs. severe disease, not only vs. infection:

Data from Israel makes it clear that protection vs. severe disease remains almost intact, although it certainly didn't look like the case very early on when the outbreak hadn't reached the unvaccinated. At the same time, the dip in protection from ~ 94% to ~ 88% means twice as many severe breakthrough cases among the elderly. One could of course argue that halving the number of potential hospitalizations and deaths is worth the boosters.

I'm just not sure how high uptake would be in the first place, and anti-vaxxers would obviously have a field with that one. That might lead to people getting discouraged and refusing first doses, to begin with. Not to mention it means developed countries saving more doses instead of sharing them with Africa, etc. where they are sorely needed.

So yeah. Just my thoughts on that one.

Weekly update, still no end in sight

In total 4.59 million new cases were reported last week (slightly up from 4.55 million) to a total of 211,503,434
Also another 69,115 more deaths were reported last week (up from 67,791) to a total of 4,426,542

The USA has passed Europe again in daily cases, deaths are going up in both Europe and the US

The continents

Asia reported 1.81 million new cases (slightly down from 1.88 million) and 31,661 more deaths (slightly down from 32,879)
North America reported 1.32 million new cases (up from 1.19 million) and 13,391 more deaths (up from 9,895)
Europe reported 881K new cases (up from 864K) and 9,146 more deaths (up from 8,194)
South America reported 311K new cases (down from 349K) and 9,023 more deaths (down from 10,392)
Africa reported 248K new cases (down from 263K) and 5,727 more deaths (down from 6,314)
Oceania reported 15.8K new cases (up from 12.2K) and 167 deaths (up from 117)

Corners of the world

USA reported 1.03 million new cases (up from 918K) and 7,120 more deaths (up from 4,520)
Iran reported 257K new cases (down from 267K) and 4,068 more deaths (up from 3,656)
India reported 237K new cases (down from 261K) and 3,236 more deaths (slightly down from 3,361)
Brazil reported 209K new cases (down from 210K) and 5,744 more deaths (down from 6,107)
Japan reported 140K new cases (up from 102K) and 176 more deaths (up from 118)
South Africa reported 84.5K new cases (up from 71.2K) and 2,352 more deaths (slightly up from 2,279)
Canada reported 16.0K new cases (up from 12.2K) and 91 deaths (44 last week)
South Korea reported 10.8K new cases (down from 14.7K) and 49 deaths (35 last week)
Australia reported 3,573 new cases (up from 2,968) and 22 deaths (20 last week)

Europe in detail

Over 10,000 hospitalised in France? Isn’t this a bit too high? What gives?

LurkerJ said:

Over 10,000 hospitalised in France? Isn’t this a bit too high? What gives?

Well, Florida has 17,000 with one-third of the population...

But I genuinely think there are reporting errors in French data, perhaps due to not updating hospital discharges as they happen. Their reported hosp. numbers were very high (~5,000) even when there were ~ 500 cases a day last summer.