By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - NSFW Discussion - Tinder worth paying for?

Is it worth paying for?

Yep! 5 8.62%

No! 53 91.38%

Total:58

Curl 6 claimed he only got 15 matches from 100,000 swipes on Tinder. That is 0.015% match rate. Curl-6 has had little or no matches on dating apps. Curl-6 is typical guy wasting their time on dating apps. Changes to profile will not make any difference and paying for upgrades is a waste of money. Curl-6 gives a warning to not waste your precious time on dating apps. The long odds explains why most guys get no matches on dating apps. I have seen threads on reddit that claim most guys are wasting their time on dating apps and real life generates more results. Datings apps are broken and the problem is the poor design of the apps, not the user.

Last edited by Phoenix20 - on 27 January 2021

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
Phoenix20 said:

Dating apps/sites are a complete waste of time, 80 to 90% of guys get no matches. Paying for upgrades is a waste of money and will not make any difference. The only matches most of us guys get are from bots or scammers. 

From what I've seen, essentially 100% of people that are willing to take advice and put work into online dating have success with it.  Its people that refuse to listen to the people that are good at, refuse to date people that aren't 9/10, or won't put in any work that don't do well.  I've obviously only seen a handful of people directly.  But, through the grapevine it has become very clear to me that online dating works for anyone that has reasonable standards and is open to advice.  

If you only swipe (or message) 3 hot chicks per day, and you're not super attractive (either physically or on paper) yourself, that's not going to work.  You have to hit 50 or 100 people per day.  If you haven't dated lately, you have to go out with anyone that will agree to date you so that you can get some practice.  If you're a 2/10, you can't expect to land a 7 or 8.  Do those things, get good pictures, work on profile language, change your messaging text until you find stuff that works, put an hour a day into it, and you'll get some action.  Do that long enough, and you'll get better and better, and you'll be able to move up in quality of person that you're dating.  

I have to agree with this because I know too many people who met on these online dating sites and are married to the person they met.  That does not mean everyone get married but it does seem like you can meet a lot more and interact with a lot more women or men whatever your preference and either have serious relationships or casual, depends on what you want.  My brother has used a few of them and currently been in a relationship with the same woman for the last 2 years, probably would get married if he wasn't so scared by his first one.

Anyway I would say the online dating sites work but you do have to put in the work and be clear at what you want.

Well, wish me luck folks, I'm going on a date tomorrow night with a girl I've been talking to over text for a few weeks; she seems really nice, and is accepting of the fact I have autism, in fact she suspects she may also have a slight form of it. She's from China originally but has been living here for 5 years, we share interests in film and documentaries, and so far we seem to really be hitting it off.

I'm extremely nervous as we're going out to dinner and I haven't done that since before the pandemic, as my OCD is in overdrive since covid, but it's been 3 weeks since there were any cases in my state so it should be safe.

VAMatt said:

If you're a 2/10, you can't expect to land a 7 or 8.  

I don't entirely agree; I think I'm about a 4/10 but of the three women I've been with in my life I'd rate them all at least a 8/10, there were all way out of my league in terms of looks at least.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 27 January 2021

Should I delete Tinder? These millennials think so

A study on online dating in 2017 which highlighted the paradox of choice, noting that “increasing the number of potential matches has a positive effect due to larger choice, but also a negative effect due to competition between agents on the same side.”

“You need a lot of swipes to get a match, a lot of matches to get a number, a lot of numbers to get a date and a lot of dates to get a third date,” explains Scott Harvey, editor of Global Dating Insights, the online dating industry’s trade news publication.

“Trying to find a partner in this way is extremely labour-intensive and can be quite exasperating,” he says, adding that those working in the sector are highly aware that many consumers are no longer “completely enamoured” by apps like Tinder and Bumble.

Last edited by Phoenix20 - on 28 January 2021

Phoenix20 said:

Should I delete Tinder? These millennials think so

A study on online dating in 2017 which highlighted the paradox of choice, noting that “increasing the number of potential matches has a positive effect due to larger choice, but also a negative effect due to competition between agents on the same side.”

“You need a lot of swipes to get a match, a lot of matches to get a number, a lot of numbers to get a date and a lot of dates to get a third date,” explains Scott Harvey, editor of Global Dating Insights, the online dating industry’s trade news publication.

“Trying to find a partner in this way is extremely labour-intensive and can be quite exasperating,” he says, adding that those working in the sector are highly aware that many consumers are no longer “completely enamoured” by apps like Tinder and Bumble.

How else do you expect millennials to meet people? Most I see these days is all they ever on is their smart phone lol. Even sue it as a compass lol. I seen someone ask which way is north and south, when the hints are kind of already in the location names with the words North and South in them lol.

Around the Network

The easiest way to attract females is to show wealth or the potential for it, they will fall in love with you later.. job done

It's all about playing to people's instincts for security

VAMatt said:
Phoenix20 said:

Dating apps/sites are a complete waste of time, 80 to 90% of guys get no matches. Paying for upgrades is a waste of money and will not make any difference. The only matches most of us guys get are from bots or scammers. 

From what I've seen, essentially 100% of people that are willing to take advice and put work into online dating have success with it.  Its people that refuse to listen to the people that are good at, refuse to date people that aren't 9/10, or won't put in any work that don't do well.  I've obviously only seen a handful of people directly.  But, through the grapevine it has become very clear to me that online dating works for anyone that has reasonable standards and is open to advice.  

If you only swipe (or message) 3 hot chicks per day, and you're not super attractive (either physically or on paper) yourself, that's not going to work.  You have to hit 50 or 100 people per day.  If you haven't dated lately, you have to go out with anyone that will agree to date you so that you can get some practice.  If you're a 2/10, you can't expect to land a 7 or 8.  Do those things, get good pictures, work on profile language, change your messaging text until you find stuff that works, put an hour a day into it, and you'll get some action.  Do that long enough, and you'll get better and better, and you'll be able to move up in quality of person that you're dating.  

That is a very bold statement to make that 100% of people have success with online dating if they follow advice. Online dating is for fools, more success can be found with talking to people in real life. 

I disagree with your advice that I and others on dating apps have failed because we only message models. There are no models on dating apps, model pics are  stock photos that are used by scammers. Photos can be checked to reveal whether or not a photo is a stock photo with multiple hits.

Looks are subjective and vary from person to person and are based on opinion. There is no  accurate 1 to 10 looks rating system. One person's attractive could be someone else's average.  

Spamming 50 to 100 profiles is unlikely to generate more results and spamming only wastes time and increases frustration. The OP swiped 100,000 times on Tinder for only 17 matches.

Hour per day on online dating or make constant profile changes  sounds like a waste of time. The OP made changes to his profile with different pictures and it made no difference.

Willing to date anyone and message everyone is a bad idea because you waste time talking to people you are not interested in.

Last edited by Phoenix20 - on 28 January 2021

Phoenix20 said:
VAMatt said:

That is a very bold statement to make that 100% of people have success with online dating if they follow advice. Online dating is for fools, more success can be found with talking to people in real life. 

I disagree with your advice that I and others on dating apps have failed because we only message models. There are no models on dating apps, model pics are  stock photos that are used by scammers. Photos can be checked to reveal whether or not a photo is a stock photo with multiple hits.

Looks are subjective and vary from person to person and are based on opinion. There is no  accurate 1 to 10 looks rating system. One person's attractive could be someone else's average.  

Spamming 50 to 100 profiles is unlikely to generate more results and spamming only wastes time and increases frustration. The OP swiped 100,000 times on Tinder for only 17 matches.

Hour per day on online dating or make constant profile changes  sounds like a waste of time. The OP made changes to his profile with different pictures and it made no difference.

Willing to date anyone and message everyone is a bad idea because you waste time talking to people you are not interested in.

Well, I haven't done a scientific study on it.  But, I have seen success personally, and among close associates.  I have also taken multiple friends that said stuff much like you and the OP about how it doesn't work, taught them how to do it, and have seen them have success.  I've also talked to dozens of people that have relayed to me hundreds of stories about online dating success and failure.  From that, I've seen that people that take advice, keep trying, put in work, and have realistic expectations almost *always" succeed.  And, the people that don't do those things *always* fail. So, I feel very confident that I am correct.  It certainly can't be true in 100% of cases.  But, it is close to that number, which is why I said "essentially".  

I believe there is probably this unrealistic expectation that technology will make everything easier and bam without any real effort you find the mate you have been looking for all your life. That is a myth. Instead technology just gives you more opportunities to find a mate but the real work is still meeting, reviewing and choosing the person. That part really does not change and it still takes work when you are dating, hell it still takes a lot of work.

Also with more choices comes the with the higher expectations as well. You meet a very nice, cool mate but she/he is slightly plump. You feel you can do better so hold out for that 8/9 on your scale thus missing out on someone who probably was a great catch.

Machiavellian said:

I believe there is probably this unrealistic expectation that technology will make everything easier and bam without any real effort you find the mate you have been looking for all your life. That is a myth. Instead technology just gives you more opportunities to find a mate but the real work is still meeting, reviewing and choosing the person. That part really does not change and it still takes work when you are dating, hell it still takes a lot of work.

Also with more choices comes the with the higher expectations as well. You meet a very nice, cool mate but she/he is slightly plump. You feel you can do better so hold out for that 8/9 on your scale thus missing out on someone who probably was a great catch.

I agree with this technology does help to meet more people and makes it more convenient, however like you said still have to meet them and go from there.

The one thing I found if you are a guy that isn't one of the best looking rooster's on the market you should not expect from a dating app that a hot chick will agree to meet. Same goes the other way. This is the biggest flaw in online dating, people base everything on first appearance and not what else is on offer. So somehow you need to be able to sell yourself with other things to compensate the physical attraction. If most people are only looking at the physical that still narrows down your chances at dates.

In the real world, you have an advantage in that if you have a great personality and confidence, you can attract those women no matter how you look. Those women on day one may not be thinking of you as a long term partner, but you can work away at it as a friend/acquaintance till they start to like you.

From a dating app you have one shot because effectively you both go in it looking for a connection and if it isn't there give up and move on because you think the pool of fish is much greater to pick from, when in reality it takes a few dates to really get to know someone.

Now as someone else mentioned, beauty is subjective at best. The only advice I can give to people is never judge a girl with make up on, because some of them are miracle workers. They can be a 2/3 without make up and look 8/9/10 when dressed up.  A natural beauty say 5/6/7 is far more pleasing on the eye than seeing a chameleon change before you every day of your life lol. A natural 8/9/10 if you are not one yourself is a challenge and hard work to get one. Doesn't mean you should give up, but at the same time don't dismiss a natural 5/6/7 on a first date as that could be a missed opportunity. Remember beauty fades, so for a long term partner you need someone that can stimulate you mentally or it just won't work long term.