By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Final Fantasy VII finally available on a Nintendo platform

My impression of 9 is, right now, mild enjoyment. I like the story so far and character progression. Feels a little like star wars A New Hope. I like that I can safe travel and turn on speed mode to move quicker. I don't like how difficult the boss fights are. My characters are at levels where they easily handle random enemies, but get slaughtered randomly by bosses so I am overly dependent on 9999 mode, letting me one shot bosses when I'm down to the last characters. I like the feature, but kind of wish they didn't allow bosses to one shot your characters. Still, should I wait for the remake of 7 since they are making one? If so, I'll just move on to X and X2 next, tollowed by XII and then make a choice from there.

Around the Network

I say play it now. Squarenix will probably find a way to fuck it up in the remake. 

Signature goes here!

Dulfite said:
Aren't they remaking this game? If so, should I hold off playing it for the first time until then? I'm playing my first ever FF game (IX) and I am enjoying it, though it feels dated in a bad way with controls. Should I even bother with two games PRIOR to 9? I like SNES era games, but hate N64 ones.

I would NOT in any way base a prediction of how FF7 will be based on FF9. It's like comparing Goodfellas to Ocean's 11.

Both are arguably great crime drama films, but:

Oceans 11, while highly charming and very solid, lacks much originality. It's a very formulaic 3 act plot, with a heist as the conflict. It's also rated PG and depends heavily on the pre-existing popularity of the cast.

Goodfellas by comparison is far darker, braver, with damaged characters, an R rating, and something which (while it does loosely follow a 3 act structure) doesn't seem at all formulaic. Groundbreaking in its approach.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

While Final Fantasy 7 was the first official FF game released in the Western market, that didn't stop people from importing earlier FF games by the tens of thousands; or playing games via emulator by maybe even the millions.

What?

Last edited by Hynad - on 26 March 2019

Hynad said:
Jumpin said:

While Final Fantasy 7 was the first official FF game released in the Western market, that didn't stop people from importing earlier FF games by the tens of thousands; or playing games via emulator by maybe even the millions.

What?

Emulators were a big scene in the 90s. Particularly for NES and SNES.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Hynad said:

What?

Emulators were a big scene in the 90s. Particularly for NES and SNES.

He said what, because FF7 was not the first official FF game. There was a total of 3 other FF games, incorrectly numbered, but still real and official. 

Now if you said Europe instead of Western, you would have been correct. However North America is Western. 

Last edited by Acevil - on 27 March 2019

Now SE needs to put out a physical release collection of FFVII, VIII and IX so they can all be on a cartridge 20 years later!l. And ironically there'd still be plenty of room left on the cart even after a total of 11 CDs worth of games are loaded onto it lol.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Hiku said:
killeryoshis said:
The wait to get Final Fantasy VII on a Nintendo system is longer then it was to go from Final Fantasy 1 to Final Fantasy VII, Doesn't matter though. I have been waiting for this game since Final Fantasy VI came out in 1994.

Have you never played it before?

Out of all the consoles I have 100% of them are Nintendo consoles. So what do you think?

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Dulfite said:
Aren't they remaking this game? If so, should I hold off playing it for the first time until then? I'm playing my first ever FF game (IX) and I am enjoying it, though it feels dated in a bad way with controls. Should I even bother with two games PRIOR to 9? I like SNES era games, but hate N64 ones.

The remake is action based instead of turns and episodic. So whatever and whenever this remake is, it will be a different game.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mind-blowing to see this on a Nintendo system at long last. I just wish it were on cartridge. Sony ran ads back in the day poking fun at Nintendo for losing out on FFVII due to using carts for N64.

Also can't wait to triple-dip on a physical copy of FFXII when it hits Switch at the end of April.