By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Final Fantasy VII finally available on a Nintendo platform

Dulfite said:
Aren't they remaking this game? If so, should I hold off playing it for the first time until then? I'm playing my first ever FF game (IX) and I am enjoying it, though it feels dated in a bad way with controls. Should I even bother with two games PRIOR to 9? I like SNES era games, but hate N64 ones.

It is still one of the most beautiful games (I mean in terms of music, art direction, scope, etc.) ever made IMO. 

The atmosphere is still off the charts. If you can enjoy the SNES era games, FF7 is a no brainer. It's still IMO one of the greatest games ever made. And the great thing is it's not one of those games that takes *forever* to get good, the story is really good and fast moving right from the start basically. 

It's a better game than FFIX ... IX is fun and charming, but VII has a more powerful story and atmosphere. Plus the 3x speed option really makes the game a lot easier to play (that's not in FFIX either). 

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Not that important. Even more when it still doesn't receive the current FFs due to HW limitations.

Too bad the modern Final Fantasy games suck ass and don't have even a fraction of the scope that a game like FF7 has. It's why it's taking them forever to remake it. 

DonFerrari said:
Not that important. Even more when it still doesn't receive the current FFs due to HW limitations.

Important.  Or do you not understand the history regarding FF VII and Nintendo?  Or did you just want to crap all over the moment for whatever reason?

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

Meh

Like I'm a mostly Nintendo player and even I have played it already, is ok. Is not like we'll get XVI because of a bunch of ancient ports.

Soundwave said:
Dulfite said:
Aren't they remaking this game? If so, should I hold off playing it for the first time until then? I'm playing my first ever FF game (IX) and I am enjoying it, though it feels dated in a bad way with controls. Should I even bother with two games PRIOR to 9? I like SNES era games, but hate N64 ones.

It is still one of the most beautiful games (I mean in terms of music, art direction, scope, etc.) ever made IMO. 

The atmosphere is still off the charts. If you can enjoy the SNES era games, FF7 is a no brainer. It's still IMO one of the greatest games ever made. And the great thing is it's not one of those games that takes *forever* to get good, the story is really good and fast moving right from the start basically. 

It's a better game than FFIX ... IX is fun and charming, but VII has a more powerful story and atmosphere. Plus the 3x speed option really makes the game a lot easier to play (that's not in FFIX either). 

Around the Network

My impression of 9 is, right now, mild enjoyment. I like the story so far and character progression. Feels a little like star wars A New Hope. I like that I can safe travel and turn on speed mode to move quicker. I don't like how difficult the boss fights are. My characters are at levels where they easily handle random enemies, but get slaughtered randomly by bosses so I am overly dependent on 9999 mode, letting me one shot bosses when I'm down to the last characters. I like the feature, but kind of wish they didn't allow bosses to one shot your characters. Still, should I wait for the remake of 7 since they are making one? If so, I'll just move on to X and X2 next, tollowed by XII and then make a choice from there.

I say play it now. Squarenix will probably find a way to fuck it up in the remake. 

Signature goes here!

Dulfite said:

I would NOT in any way base a prediction of how FF7 will be based on FF9. It's like comparing Goodfellas to Ocean's 11.

Both are arguably great crime drama films, but:

Oceans 11, while highly charming and very solid, lacks much originality. It's a very formulaic 3 act plot, with a heist as the conflict. It's also rated PG and depends heavily on the pre-existing popularity of the cast.

Goodfellas by comparison is far darker, braver, with damaged characters, an R rating, and something which (while it does loosely follow a 3 act structure) doesn't seem at all formulaic. Groundbreaking in its approach.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

While Final Fantasy 7 was the first official FF game released in the Western market, that didn't stop people from importing earlier FF games by the tens of thousands; or playing games via emulator by maybe even the millions.

What?

Last edited by Hynad - on 26 March 2019

Hynad said:
Jumpin said:

While Final Fantasy 7 was the first official FF game released in the Western market, that didn't stop people from importing earlier FF games by the tens of thousands; or playing games via emulator by maybe even the millions.

What?

Emulators were a big scene in the 90s. Particularly for NES and SNES.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.