By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Final Fantasy VII finally available on a Nintendo platform

killeryoshis said:
Hiku said:

Have you never played it before?

Out of all the consoles I have 100% of them are Nintendo consoles. So what do you think?

Do you guys not have phones?

Around the Network
Replicant said:
killeryoshis said:

Out of all the consoles I have 100% of them are Nintendo consoles. So what do you think?

Soundwave said:
DonFerrari said:
Not that important. Even more when it still doesn't receive the current FFs due to HW limitations.

Too bad the modern Final Fantasy games suck ass and don't have even a fraction of the scope that a game like FF7 has. It's why it's taking them forever to remake it. 

I don't think they suck ass, but if you don't like they ok.

As said before if someone wanted to play FF VII there were plenty of ways before Switch version launched, such as emulator, steam, phones.

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:
Not that important. Even more when it still doesn't receive the current FFs due to HW limitations.

Important.  Or do you not understand the history regarding FF VII and Nintendo?  Or did you just want to crap all over the moment for whatever reason?

Yes I understand the story. And you wanted to reply just to give a jab at me?

Dulfite said:
My impression of 9 is, right now, mild enjoyment. I like the story so far and character progression. Feels a little like star wars A New Hope. I like that I can safe travel and turn on speed mode to move quicker. I don't like how difficult the boss fights are. My characters are at levels where they easily handle random enemies, but get slaughtered randomly by bosses so I am overly dependent on 9999 mode, letting me one shot bosses when I'm down to the last characters. I like the feature, but kind of wish they didn't allow bosses to one shot your characters. Still, should I wait for the remake of 7 since they are making one? If so, I'll just move on to X and X2 next, tollowed by XII and then make a choice from there.

Man, FF IX isn't really a hard game and you don't need grinding for the regular story (extra/special bosses are another thing though). Have you kept your whole party in use to have consistent levels? Have you changed your equips often to be sure you are always learning new abilities that you may equip before boss fights? Those are the key for the bosses in this game.

One tip I can give you is mindfull of the passive abilities and counters/equips. There was one fight where all my team had counters or reflection. And the boss used elemental which when reflected recovered his life. This battle took me 2h to finish because I was stubborn and didn't reload.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SpokenTruth said:
Jumpin said:

Emulators were a big scene in the 90s. Particularly for NES and SNES.

I think his problem is with the statement, "While Final Fantasy 7 was the first official FF game released in the Western market."

Because that's not correct. 

FF, FF IV (known as FF II in the US) and FF VI (known as FF III in the US) all released before FF VII. 

Though you may be half correct.  I don't think those came out in the European markets until after VII.

Bit of a "lost in translation" issue. By Western Market I mean the Western Europe market (as in the Western half of the Great Schism) and associated portions. The Americas are kind of their own thing, a separate market. Western World would areas that emulate Western culture: including the American market, and also Japan, so that doesn't really work.

While the games weren't officially available, they were widely available due to import. Before FF7 I had played FF1, 3, 4, 5, and 6 (although only part of 5 because A. I played it on emulator after 6 but before 7, and B. there was some kind of transparency bug). Fire converters were very popular among SNES RPG fans (and gamers in general) prior to FF7. Then afterward, emulators were ferociously popular... even for games they weren't required for.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Replicant said:
killeryoshis said:

I am one of the 4 people that played FF7 via mobile.

But the point is that it's released on a Nintendo console =D

And this is more of a reply to the people who have responded, who might be too young to understand, or not a fan of RPGs in the 80s and 90s:

FF7 being on a Nintendo platform is like having divorced parents, and then 25 years later you're eating Christmas dinner together with them both in the same house in that time! Maybe this is missed on younger people, but for people like myself who were heavily invested in these two companies being together for years, it has really symbolic meaning.

Around the Network

Out of Topic , the modded version on PC are amazing . The background art resolution has been enhanced using an AI neuron tech and even better then the original remaster/PC/PS platform/other console that look  the same, with super low quality resolution 

https://www.pcgamer.com/ai-neural-networks-are-giving-final-fantasy-7-a-makeover/

Back to Topic, congratulation  for whoever waiting this games coming to Nintendo platform for 22 years. This remind me of the 90's era where Nintendo fans was disappointed by  Square (before it was joint by Enix) . It was a big announcement and a sign that PS1 will beat nintendo 64 to the ground. Also many journalist was blaming Nintendo because the reason is the are using cartridge. I do hope it released on Switch cartridge tho because it will shows how far the tech has evolve from having limited space to current tech with a lot of space.  

Darwinianevolution said:
We need a retail version on a cartridge to finally break the curse! Make it happen, Square Enix!

It's true!  Nintendo lost Squaresoft because of cartridges.  Now we need the game on a cartridge to come full circle.

FFVII is my second favorite game of all time, but I'm not planning on buying it unless it comes on a cartridge.  I'll just play my PS1 version otherwise.  But don't get me wrong, I'd frikken love to have this game on a cartridge.

Jumpin said:
Replicant said:

I am one of the 4 people that played FF7 via mobile.

But the point is that it's released on a Nintendo console =D

And this is more of a reply to the people who have responded, who might be too young to understand, or not a fan of RPGs in the 80s and 90s:

FF7 being on a Nintendo platform is like having divorced parents, and then 25 years later you're eating Christmas dinner together with them both in the same house in that time! Maybe this is missed on younger people, but for people like myself who were heavily invested in these two companies being together for years, it has really symbolic meaning.

Yeah, it's good to see it release on Switch.

I was mostly just messing with killeryoshis but also a bit shocked to see that he's been wanting to play the game since 1994. I can't imagine waiting 25 years for something that you're interested in. In comparison, my patience must be close to 0 because it feels like I've been waiting since forever for Obsidian's "The Outer Worlds" and Denis Villeneuve's "Dune".

Last edited by Replicant - on 27 March 2019

Hiku said:
killeryoshis said:

Well at the time FF7 came out, 100% of my consoles were also Nintendo, but it was such a huge anticipated game that I still played it with my friend. And then I borrowed a PS and played it myself, etc.
So because it's FF7 and there's been 20+ years since, and it's on a million systems now including mobile, I thought I'd ask.

I am messing with you. I wasn't even born when Final Fantasy VI came out. Also, I already played the game. It was a fun game. 

Replicant said:
killeryoshis said:

I rather die a thousand deaths before I play a game like Final Fantasy VII on Phones 

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

HollyGamer said:

Out of Topic , the modded version on PC are amazing . The background art resolution has been enhanced using an AI neuron tech and even better then the original remaster/PC/PS platform/other console that look  the same, with super low quality resolution 

https://www.pcgamer.com/ai-neural-networks-are-giving-final-fantasy-7-a-makeover/

Back to Topic, congratulation  for whoever waiting this games coming to Nintendo platform for 22 years. This remind me of the 90's era where Nintendo fans was disappointed by  Square (before it was joint by Enix) . It was a big announcement and a sign that PS1 will beat nintendo 64 to the ground. Also many journalist was blaming Nintendo because the reason is the are using cartridge. I do hope it released on Switch cartridge tho because it will shows how far the tech has evolve from having limited space to current tech with a lot of space.  

I'm a Nintendo fan and even I blame Nintendo on this one. Specifically, the very bad decision making by Yamauchi in the time of the N64 caused tremendous and irreversible damage with exclusive second and third parties. To lose Square the way he did was a TREMENDOUS failure, in 1995 no one would have dreamed that would EVER be the case. I think what really put me on the "blame Nintendo" side was how Yamauchi was a dick to RPG fans; I mean, I was still a Nintendo fan, I wasn't personally offended, but I saw where the blame clearly was. The thought I had was "Oh, Yamauchi's an asshole, that's why we lost the third parties developing my favourite genre."

On the screenshots, I would LOVE the second one (the one on the right). The semi-realistic character dimensions don't look right to me, so I would prefer models more closely resembling the originals. I wish Square would put these updates through to the official versions.