By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 9th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

S.Peelman said:
Mnementh said:

a) The european version of the game (which I played) had a completely different name.

Contra? So.. Probotector?

No, but this hint was kinda unspecific. But for now let's people show of their obscure gaming knowledge, I add more hints later.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

#43: Whack people with frying pans, tuna, dumb-bells and just about everything that within an arms length on this cruise ship.

And some more hints.

a) A pirate boy and his monkey.
Guessed by Landale_Star: Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

a) Attack hundreds of enemies with a sword, a horse, a gear spinner, fire, a harp, a hammer and other stuff.
Guessed by Flilix: Hyrule Warriors

a) The wise tree leading you in this remake is Birch.
b) Caught in between fights if the oceans or the continents should grow.

a) Laundryman vs. evil alien space monster!
b) Cast a spell so your servant falls down.

a) The european version of the game (which I played) had a completely different name.
b) You can kill yourself with your own attack if you not careful.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

50.  Astro Boy: Omega Factor (GBA)
I really love arcade style beat 'em ups, and this is probably the most polished beat 'em up I've ever played.  It looks beautiful.  The music is addictive.  The controls are perfect.  It has just the right about of special attacks to keep the gameplay interesting.  But since it was designed for the Game Boy Advance (instead of the arcade), then also have a leveling up type of system for each of your powers.  It also has some nice shmup levels to provide some variety to the core beat em up levels.  This game was made by Treasure and it feels like they poured their heart and soul into it.  It plays like a dream.

49.  Castlevania: Bloodlines (Genesis)
This is the first new entry on my list.  Over the past year or so, I have really been trying to revisit some classic consoles and play them in an optimal way.  I've made myself an makeshift arcade stick (housed in cardboard) and I aquired a PVM, so that I could get top quality RGB graphics.  So during the past year, I've tried out a variety of Genesis games, and the best of all of the ones I'd never played before is Castlevania: Bloodlines.  I really love old school Castlevania (i.e. 16-bit or earlier).  I really like the experience of having a whip and going through some challenging linear levels.  This game did not disappoint me at all.  It has all of that classic gameplay in a completely "new to me" package with great levels, monsters and atmosphere that I want in a Castlevania game.  And when I combined this with my arcade stick and PVM, it was like playing in gaming heaven.  Good times.

48.  Centipede (Arcade)
This game never did much for me when I was a kid.  But a few years ago I hooked a 60-in-1 PCB up to some arcade controls and went to town.  I also bought a trackball, and that is when I discovered just how great this game really is.  To me a great arcade game tests things like reflexes, control and precision.  No game does this better than Centipede.  Sure it starts off at a fairly reasonable pace, but less than a minute into it and you are frantically shooting and dodging all sorts of attacks.  It's the perfect twitch game, but it requires that manic feeling that only a trackball can provide.

47.  Hyrule Warriors (Wii U)
For the longest time I had been longing for a good Zelda action game like from the good old NES/SNES era.  Enter Hyrule Warriors.  I mean sure Dynasty Warriors games are fun, but after a while I get tired of that same ancient time period in China.  But I don't think I ever get tired of visiting Hyrule.  It's so cool, and all it needed was the return of some action.  Add in the fact that the Wii U gamepad works perfectly for co-op and you have the best Zelda action game that has come out in a very long time.  It also just has hundreds of hours of gameplay even after you finish the main storyline.  This is an amazing value and just a fun beat em up any time you want to let off some steam by yourself or with a friend.

46.  Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA)
For several years I had, had this craving deep inside me.  It was the craving to play a Fantasy Tactical RPG that was remotely as good as the original Final Fantasy Tactics.  I played several that got decent reviews, but really nothing came close.  Then I tried this game and it was just what I was looking for.  In hindsight, it should have been obvious that this was the game I needed.  The thing is though, that I tried it back when the GBA was a current system and I only liked it ok.  At the time I was just so disappointed that they had gotten rid of the job system from the first game and put in a lot of racial restrictions instead.  But now that I've tried several other tactical RPG's I realize just how rare the original FFT is.  And really this game is a rare gem too.  It has the same core gameplay that I love from the first game and improved graphics too.  It also has a good story even if it is more light-hearted this time around.  I also played on a GBA player via a Gamecube this time around, and I realized just seeing the game on a TV really made it feel like the original in quality.  I guess what I am saying is that I really, really love the original Final Fantasy Tactics, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes Turn-based Tactical RPGs, because it is by far the best one.  But then after you play that game, check this one out, because it is really good too.

#44 Viewtiful Joe 2 - GCN

Henshin a go-go baby! The excellent sequel to the fantastic Viewtiful Joe, one of the classic gems of former Clover Studio, a great satisfying challenge in this mix of 2D platformer and beat em up, with its amazing artsyle with the thicc cell shading, great use of its theme as a movie, just a tight, super polished experience that surpasses the first game.

Around the Network

Hints:
#43 - Manipulate gravity for the first time on a handheld
#42 - 31st century, a world where humans have regressed to primitive tribal societies as a result of some unspecified calamity

The_Liquid_Laser said:

47.  Hyrule Warriors (Wii U)
For the longest time I had been longing for a good Zelda action game like from the good old NES/SNES era.  Enter Hyrule Warriors.  I mean sure Dynasty Warriors games are fun, but after a while I get tired of that same ancient time period in China.  But I don't think I ever get tired of visiting Hyrule.  It's so cool, and all it needed was the return of some action.  Add in the fact that the Wii U gamepad works perfectly for co-op and you have the best Zelda action game that has come out in a very long time.  It also just has hundreds of hours of gameplay even after you finish the main storyline.  This is an amazing value and just a fun beat em up any time you want to let off some steam by yourself or with a friend.

It's strange for me. I tried Warriors Orochi and Fire Emblem Warriors, but while they may technically superior, they don't do it for me. But Hyrule Warriors is just a lot of fun. It is not that I love Zelda-lore so much - half of the stuff in Hyrule Warriors I didn't even know as I didn't played the Zelda games that characters or settings are from. But for me the colorful and interesting fantasy world is far more enticing than seeing all the same basic castles again and again, with armies of samey humans.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

46.  Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA)
For several years I had, had this craving deep inside me.  It was the craving to play a Fantasy Tactical RPG that was remotely as good as the original Final Fantasy Tactics.  I played several that got decent reviews, but really nothing came close.  Then I tried this game and it was just what I was looking for.  In hindsight, it should have been obvious that this was the game I needed.  The thing is though, that I tried it back when the GBA was a current system and I only liked it ok.  At the time I was just so disappointed that they had gotten rid of the job system from the first game and put in a lot of racial restrictions instead.  But now that I've tried several other tactical RPG's I realize just how rare the original FFT is.  And really this game is a rare gem too.  It has the same core gameplay that I love from the first game and improved graphics too.  It also has a good story even if it is more light-hearted this time around.  I also played on a GBA player via a Gamecube this time around, and I realized just seeing the game on a TV really made it feel like the original in quality.  I guess what I am saying is that I really, really love the original Final Fantasy Tactics, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes Turn-based Tactical RPGs, because it is by far the best one.  But then after you play that game, check this one out, because it is really good too.

I probably should try one of these. Good turn-based strategy games set in a fantasy world are something I very much like. Although I see problems to acquire the games, I neither own a PS nor a Gameboy Advance and these days getting hands of the games might be difficult.

Dr.Vita said:

Hints:
#43 - Manipulate gravity for the first time on a handheld
#42 - 31st century, a world where humans have regressed to primitive tribal societies as a result of some unspecified calamity

#43: Gravity Rush

And some more hints.

a) A pirate boy and his monkey.
Guessed by Landale_Star: Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

a) Attack hundreds of enemies with a sword, a horse, a gear spinner, fire, a harp, a hammer and other stuff.
Guessed by Flilix: Hyrule Warriors

a) The wise tree leading you in this remake is Birch.
b) Caught in between fights if the oceans or the continents should grow.
c) "Too much water"

a) Laundryman vs. evil alien space monster!
b) Cast a spell so your servant falls down.
c) Every friday the gigantic monsters come out.

b) You can kill yourself with your own attack if you not careful.
c) The whole series and it's gameplay revolves around the weapon used, which is kinda tricky to work with.

Nobody has still guessed this one:

#41: "Kirov Reporting." Taking place in an alternate history 1972, the game starts with a full scale invasion of the United States by the Soviet Union.

Soul Calibur II
(Change YoY: -3)

The best game in my second favourite fighting game series ever. Soul Calibur II found a perfect balance in its gamepay, something that later games in the series have struggled with in their rush to change things and try to tinker with the formula. In addition SCII had what I still consider to be the best roster in the entire series, with good mix of new and old fighters, all of which felt unique and different from one another. Again, later games began to change the roster around, removing many of the best characters with less interesting replacements, to the point that I barely even touched Soul Calibur V even though I own it and I genuinely love the series. Hopefully VI has fixed these issues and brings the series back to form.