By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 9th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

Flilix said:

More hints!

- First game from a spin-off series that almost got as many games as the main series
- The title is also the title of a Pokémon game
- The title is also the title of a Final Fantasy game

- mZuzek can't stop talking about how much he loves this game

- In Japan, you lose your clothes when you lose a game of rock-paper-scissors, while in the West a you get a heavy weight on your head

#41 Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle?

Around the Network
axumblade said:
Flilix said:

More hints!

- First game from a spin-off series that almost got as many games as the main series

- In Japan, you lose your clothes when you lose a game of rock-paper-scissors, while in the West a you get a heavy weight on your head

43. Mega Man X!!!!

42. Super Smash Bros? 

#43 Yes!!!!

#42 Nope, look at his reply.

axumblade said: 

46) The first non-Japanese game to ever sell over a million copies in Japan.

Donkey Kong Country?

Landale_Star said:
Flilix said

#41 Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle?

Correct!

Landale_Star said:
Darashiva said:
Nobody guessed any of these yet, so I'll add some hints.
#43: A weapon-based fighting game that had different guest characters depending on the platform you were playing it on. On PS2 you had an old guy, on Xbox a comic book character, and on Gamecube someone in green.

#42: The first main game in this long-running JRPG franchise to ever be officially released in Europe. The series used to be known by a slightly different name in the west, before this game was released.

#41: "Kirov reporting." Alternate history.

#42 Dragon Quest: Journey of the Cursed King?

That's right.

Around the Network
Darashiva said:

Rogue Galaxy
(Change YoY: -3)

The game that made me a fan of Level-5. Rogue Galaxy was one of the biggest positive surprises on the PS2 for me. It wasn't really marketed or promoted in Europe when it was released back in 2007, likely because by that time the PS3 was already out and the PS2 was quickly being abandoned by most people. Fortunately, even at such a late point there were still some great games being released on the system, and one of them was this space fantasy JRPG. I loved the art style, the story, characters, music and battle system, and pretty much everything else the game had to offer. Just a wonderful, and often overlooked, PS2 JRPG that deserves more recognition than it has.

That game looks actually quite interesting. Never before heard of it. It's a pity that it is action based instead of turn-based, but also action RPGs can be good. And it certainly looks that way. Thanks for this.

axumblade said:

I'm way behind (but what else is new).

50) You die and then play as another member of your family. Sometimes you have issues like flatulence, nearsightedness, or gigantism. guessed by The_Liquid_Laser (Rogue Legacy)
49) Coming soon to a refrigerator near you.  guessed by Flilix (Skyrim)
48) Originally released as a completely different franchise, this "sequel" eventually was rereleased in Japan under the US name for it. guessed by Flilix (Super Mario Bros 2)
47) This sequel used to receive a fair bit of criticism because it was obviously made to eventually be ported over to console peasants. :P 
46) The first non-Japanese game to ever sell over a million copies in Japan.
45) In this indie sequel, you are on a quest to find Rusty, the protagonist from the first game.
44) The developer of this game is on my list several times but this is the only appearance that isn't on a Playstation console.

#45: Steamworld Dig 2?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

More hints are needed.

a) A pirate boy and his monkey.
Guessed by Landale_Star: Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

a) Attack hundreds of enemies with a sword, a horse, a gear spinner, fire, a harp, a hammer and other stuff.
Guessed by Flilix: Hyrule Warriors

a) The wise tree leading you in this remake is Birch.

a) Laundryman vs. evil alien space monster!

a) The european version of the game (which I played) had a completely different name.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

mZuzek said:
mZuzek said:

Yes.

Edit: um, actually... No. I mean, you got #42 right. I was quite confident Castlevania was #43, so I hinted at it without checking the list, but turns out there was another game I forgot about. Oops. I guess I'll just hint that one tomorrow, then.

Nah, I'll hint it now.

Actual #43 - Make a Lot of Plastic Noise with Your Friends 2.

Rock Band 2

Flilix said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

More clues from me:

42.  This fantasy game is the third in the series.  While the second game is sometimes called a black sheep, this game gets back to gameplay that is similar to the first game.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Correct!

Flilix said:

More hints!

42 is either Okami or Skyward Sword.

Landale_Star said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

More clues from me:

45.  I am sure this PS2 game influenced Dark Souls and several other games that now include gigantic bosses.
44.  This game involves finding 3 different keys to get the final treasure, you know, kind of like Ready Player One.
43.  Sure SimCity is fun, but this is the game that really made Wil Wright a household name.
42.  This fantasy game is the third in the series.  While the second game is sometimes called a black sheep, this game gets back to gameplay that is similar to the first game.
41.  This tower defense game is a sequel.  It was published by EA while the original was published by an indie studio.

42. Final Fantasy III?

41. Plants vs Zombies 2?

41 is correct!    (42 was already guessed, above.)

Mnementh said:

a) The european version of the game (which I played) had a completely different name.

Contra? So.. Probotector?

Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds

• Windows PC
  • Real-time Strategy
  • LucasArts

A Star Wars game that never got a follow-up, 'Galactic Battlegrounds' is a real-time strategy game based on, the probably more famous, 'Age of Empires II'. The underlying foundation is clearly visible, but it's a strong foundation, as Age of Empires is equally great.

This is another game where the multiplayer got more play-time from me than the single-player. Me and a friend would play this game often, taking on computer opponents. There's an interesting thing about this where you can both pick the same color, and essentially be one player building a single base which allows you to specialize and each focus on different tasks. Because the computer technically cheats by doing a lot of things simultaneously, battling the harder computer opponents is genuinely challenging.

The single-player campaigns follow the movies, with the exception of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. A campaign with accompanying factions and units focussing on Attack of the Clones was released the following year as an expansion pack, though sadly Revenge of the Sith would not get this same treatment. Missions can be things adapted straight from the movies, but are mostly side-stories running parallel to events in the movies. Personally though I found the most interesting thing about the single-player to be the easter-eggs which would become visible using map-reveal cheat-codes. Some of those easter-eggs are even playable mini-levels!