By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 9th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

#44: This real-time strategy game got an expansion, which was good, but sadly never got one for a third episode leaving it somewhat incomplete.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Flilix said:

#44 No, Minecraft has sold more, but this game is definitely more iconic.

Is it not just Super Mario Bros.?

Yes it is.

mZuzek said:
killeryoshis said:

#45 Crash 2? That has polar bears from what I remeber

#44 I feel like pissing you off. It's Spirit Tracks

I'm not sure what I should be pissed off about. Both are correct.

Most people don't like that game.  I guess you are not like most people.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

mZuzek said:
killeryoshis said:

Most people don't like that game.  I guess you are not like most people.

This year is actually by far the lowest Spirit Tracks has been on my list, so... yeah. Everyone has their own unpopular opinions, but honestly I never got the hate for the DS Zeldas, they're great games. Phantom Hourglass, though, is a great game with a game-breaking flaw that makes the whole game rather unenjoyable (the Temple of the Ocean King). Spirit Tracks has no such thing, and it also boasts a better story and much better soundtrack, so I do like it quite a lot.

My man! I agree the DS Zelda games suffer from an undeserved bad reputation. I especially love Spirit Tracks :)

#46 The Curious Expedition
guessed by no one
platform Linux
release year 2016
developer/publisher Maschinen-Mensch
genre turn-based expedition simulation
links game website
last year  #36

This little indie-game is surprisingly much fun. The premise is, that you play an well-known explorer or scientist and get tasked by the Explorers Society to go on six expeditions. Other members of the society do it too, and whoever gains the most fame gets a sculpture. So you explore six different regions in competition with different groups. You recruit people for your trek (or just a dog or a donkey) and go exploring. The regions are generated randomly, so each playthrough is different. In exploring the landscape you have a lot of events, like encounters with native people, atacks by wild animals, shrines, interesting spots in the nature and so on.

Everything you do has consequences, it might decrease or increase your standing with the natives or make an volcano erupt. In each region you search for the golden pyramid. But every step, every action also costs your group sanity, and if the sanity is dropping below zero bad stuff happens. Luckily chocolate and whiskey helps you keep sanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5rfiQJTVqw

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
#45 Hotel Dusk: Room 215
guessed by forest-spirit
platform DS
release year 2007
developer/publisher Cing
genre point-and-click adventure
links Wikipedia
last year  #31

I am a fan of point-and-click adventures. Especially the old-school ones. There was a phase than this genre seemed dead. Thankfully recently a lot of indies are going back to the genre and developing it further. But ten years ago it was rather unusual. The small company Cing though took up on the task and produced some point-and-click adventures for console. Sadly Cing was going out of business later, but for some time they brought back adventure goodness.

From their games I liked Hotel Dusk: Room 215 very much (although all of them are recommendable). It has simple puzzles, but more of the time talking to people and uncovering the secrets of the past. Every in-game hour you make a conclusion of what you learned in a little quiz.

The hand-drawn graphics, the holding the DS like a book and other stuff made this really something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNeEeXvoRVk

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Alright, time for a new set of hints before I talk about #44 in more detail:

#43: A weapon-based fighting game that had different guest characters depending on the platform you were playing it on.

#42: The first main game in this long-running JRPG franchise to ever be officially released in Europe.

#41: "Kirov reporting."

Rogue Galaxy
(Change YoY: -3)

The game that made me a fan of Level-5. Rogue Galaxy was one of the biggest positive surprises on the PS2 for me. It wasn't really marketed or promoted in Europe when it was released back in 2007, likely because by that time the PS3 was already out and the PS2 was quickly being abandoned by most people. Fortunately, even at such a late point there were still some great games being released on the system, and one of them was this space fantasy JRPG. I loved the art style, the story, characters, music and battle system, and pretty much everything else the game had to offer. Just a wonderful, and often overlooked, PS2 JRPG that deserves more recognition than it has.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (X360)

Easily my favourite online shooter of all time. Everything about this game was just right. It was fun to play, fast-paced, had great maps and game modes and the graphics were nice, too. I used to play this games for years with my buddies and we had a hell lot of fun. Especially with the Vietnam Add-On that came out a little later. DICE nailed it with this one. Too bad the last Battlefield games were kind of a letdown. At least in my eyes.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

axumblade said:
I'm way behind (but what else is new).

50) You die and then play as another member of your family. Sometimes you have issues like flatulence, nearsightedness, or gigantism.
49) Coming soon to a refrigerator near you.
48) Originally released as a completely different franchise, this "sequel" eventually was rereleased in Japan under the US name for it.
47) This game used to receive a fair bit of criticism because it was obviously made to eventually be ported over to consoles.
46) The first non-Japanese game to ever sell over a million copies in Japan.
45) In this indie sequel, you are on a quest to find the protagonist from the first game.
44) The developer of this game is on my list several times but this is the only appearance that isn't on a Playstation console.

#49 Skyrim?
#48 Super Mario Bros 2?
#46 Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back?

mZuzek said:
S.Peelman said:
#44: This real-time strategy game got an expansion, which was good, but sadly never got one for a third episode leaving it somewhat incomplete.

I'm assuming it's Age of Empires II or something, though I know nothing about it.
(edit: on second thought, probably the other Age (Mythology), but eh, I guess double guessing isn't very ethical.)

Are you gonna send me your list or what?

Age of Empires II is very close. It’s just that there’s something done to it to make it suitable for something else...

And oh yeah, I’ll send you the list either tonight or tomorrow.