By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 9th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

47.  Hyrule Warriors (Wii U)
For the longest time I had been longing for a good Zelda action game like from the good old NES/SNES era.  Enter Hyrule Warriors.  I mean sure Dynasty Warriors games are fun, but after a while I get tired of that same ancient time period in China.  But I don't think I ever get tired of visiting Hyrule.  It's so cool, and all it needed was the return of some action.  Add in the fact that the Wii U gamepad works perfectly for co-op and you have the best Zelda action game that has come out in a very long time.  It also just has hundreds of hours of gameplay even after you finish the main storyline.  This is an amazing value and just a fun beat em up any time you want to let off some steam by yourself or with a friend.

It's strange for me. I tried Warriors Orochi and Fire Emblem Warriors, but while they may technically superior, they don't do it for me. But Hyrule Warriors is just a lot of fun. It is not that I love Zelda-lore so much - half of the stuff in Hyrule Warriors I didn't even know as I didn't played the Zelda games that characters or settings are from. But for me the colorful and interesting fantasy world is far more enticing than seeing all the same basic castles again and again, with armies of samey humans.

This is how I feel.  I don't know most of the Zelda lore.  I actually don't like the stories in 98% of video games and that includes all of the Zelda games.  But the fantasy world is fun to walk around and explore and fight stuff.  It's just a fun world to be in.

I probably should try one of these. Good turn-based strategy games set in a fantasy world are something I very much like. Although I see problems to acquire the games, I neither own a PS nor a Gameboy Advance and these days getting hands of the games might be difficult.

The PSP has a version of the original game called Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions.  I've heard that it has an even better translation than the PS1 version, though I haven't played it much on the PSP, because I just prefer to play it on a TV.  I think it available on PSN as well.  So there are a variety of devices you can play the original game on.

Mnementh said:

And some more hints.

a) A pirate boy and his monkey.
Guessed by Landale_Star: Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

a) Attack hundreds of enemies with a sword, a horse, a gear spinner, fire, a harp, a hammer and other stuff.
Guessed by Flilix: Hyrule Warriors

a) The wise tree leading you in this remake is Birch.
b) Caught in between fights if the oceans or the continents should grow.
c) "Too much water"

a) Laundryman vs. evil alien space monster!
b) Cast a spell so your servant falls down.
c) Every friday the gigantic monsters come out.

a) The european version of the game (which I played) had a completely different name.
b) You can kill yourself with your own attack if you not careful.
c) The whole series and it's gameplay revolves around the weapon used, which is kinda tricky to work with.

42 is Populous?  It sounds like one of those Molyneux games.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Mnementh said:

It's strange for me. I tried Warriors Orochi and Fire Emblem Warriors, but while they may technically superior, they don't do it for me. But Hyrule Warriors is just a lot of fun. It is not that I love Zelda-lore so much - half of the stuff in Hyrule Warriors I didn't even know as I didn't played the Zelda games that characters or settings are from. But for me the colorful and interesting fantasy world is far more enticing than seeing all the same basic castles again and again, with armies of samey humans.

This is how I feel.  I don't know most of the Zelda lore.  I actually don't like the stories in 98% of video games and that includes all of the Zelda games.  But the fantasy world is fun to walk around and explore and fight stuff.  It's just a fun world to be in.

The PSP has a version of the original game called Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions.  I've heard that it has an even better translation than the PS1 version, though I haven't played it much on the PSP, because I just prefer to play it on a TV.  I think it available on PSN as well.  So there are a variety of devices you can play the original game on.

Mnementh said:

And some more hints.

a) A pirate boy and his monkey.
Guessed by Landale_Star: Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

a) Attack hundreds of enemies with a sword, a horse, a gear spinner, fire, a harp, a hammer and other stuff.

c) "Too much water"

a) The european version of the game (which I played) had a completely different name.
c) The whole series and it's gameplay revolves around the weapon used, which is kinda tricky to work with.

Populous and Molyneux are two names I haven't heard in a long time. And while Populous was a fun game, many games doing this strategy stuff better in my opinion, so Populous isn't entering my TOP 50. So no, my #42 is a much newer and much more well known game.

And I looked around the internet for turn-based strategy today to see what is out there, and to my surprise many list FF Tactics (the original) as one of the most important strategy game. Now I'm even more intrigued. I'll look in the PSN-store to see if I can play it on my PS3 (don't own a PSP either). And I am thinking, if Square throws a bunch of FF games in the Switches direction, why not this one too?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Populous and Molyneux are two names I haven't heard in a long time. And while Populous was a fun game, many games doing this strategy stuff better in my opinion, so Populous isn't entering my TOP 50. So no, my #42 is a much newer and much more well known game.

And I looked around the internet for turn-based strategy today to see what is out there, and to my surprise many list FF Tactics (the original) as one of the most important strategy game. Now I'm even more intrigued. I'll look in the PSN-store to see if I can play it on my PS3 (don't own a PSP either). And I am thinking, if Square throws a bunch of FF games in the Switches direction, why not this one too?

For turn based tactical games, it is easily the best.  It is also the game that most other turn based fantasy games imitate (for example Disgaea.)  I would say that Final Fantasy Tactics is to tactical RPGs what Super Mario Bros 3 is to platformers.  It is a game so good and so defining, that it has inspired many imitators and yet none is as good as the original.  In fact not even the company that originally made the game can match or better it.  Nintendo cannot make a 2D platformer better than Mario 3, and Square-Enix cannot make a tactical RPG that is better than Final Fantasy Tactics.  Square made a couple of sequels, and they are good, but they are just not nearly as good as the original.

Mnementh said:
Dr.Vita said:

Hints:
#43 - Manipulate gravity for the first time on a handheld
#42 - 31st century, a world where humans have regressed to primitive tribal societies as a result of some unspecified calamity

#43: Gravity Rush

Correct!

#44 Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
guessed by Landale_Star
platform Wii
release year 2007
developer/publisher Capcom
genre adventure
links Wikipedia
last year  #38

As I said before, I'm a fan of adventures. Zack&Wiki was a cute and funny adventure, making use of the Wiimote. Sadly the sales were pretty bad. Maybe the japanese cutesiness repelled people, maybe the time wasn't right for a comeback of adventures (Cing that worked around the same time was eventually bankrupt).

Either way, Zack&Wiki is a lot of fun and should not be cast aside if talking about adventure games on console. It earned it's spot in the TOP 50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUssqxkwsJc

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Around the Network

Dynamite Cop

• SEGA Dreamcast
  • Beat 'em Up
  • SEGA AM1/SEGA

Although it's just a sequel to an arcade game that used the license for the 'Die Hard' series outside of Japan but didn't use it itself, this game is awesome, mindless fun. 'Dynamite Cop' is a so-called beat 'em up, where you play through several levels in a linear fashion beating up everything in sight. These games are usually quite short, as is this one, but it has several different 'paths' to take to the end boss depending on the character you choose, which adds replay value.

What makes the game such good fun is that you can literally use anything that isn't bolted to the floor, as a weapon. Whether it be a simple chair, a barbell or even a hooked piece of meat in the kitchen. There's weapons too, from knives to anti-tank weapons, and things can be set on fire using a lighter. Each path has their own mini-bosses.

The throwaway story follows a special forces unit trying to rescue the daughter of the president from modern-day pirates onboard a luxury cruise liner. The levels take the player all over the ship, from the engine room to the kitchen to the decks and crew quarters, culminating in the final stage on the bridge where the pirate captain is the end-boss.

#42: The initial three civilizations, their units, their tech and their.. other thing, are based off real world history. The expansion added a fourth however, but this civilization probably never existed.

S.Peelman said:
#42: The initial three civilizations, their units, their tech and their.. other thing, are based off real world history. The expansion added a fourth however, but this civilization probably never existed.

Age of Mythology?

Hints, hints, hints.

c) "Too much water"
d) Team Magma vs. Team Aqua.

d) What are the employees of the TV station know about the friday monsters?

d) You can upgrade your weapons with more reach and number, which makes it even more likely to accidentaly kill yourself.

a)Travel with a train, launch into space, make music, meet ghosts.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 19 November 2018

Mnementh said:
S.Peelman said:

Age of Mythology?

Yes.

It’s hard to think of a decent hint for that game. Everything that references the gods or mythology immediately gives it away.