By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is the Switch still not getting big games from 3rd parties? October edition

potato_hamster said:
Miyamotoo said:

But best selling games are best examples, espacily when we talk about Nintendo vs Sony games sales.

I gave you examples of Switch games that will keep selling very good.

Again we talked Sony vs Nintendo games, and most Nintendo Switch games have very good legs.

Offcourse I can, same I can certainly say that every Switch game will have better sales when Switch has install base of 40m for instance. We cant know for sure how much, but thats not point, point is that Zelda TP would sell less in any case (if Wii install base was smaller) and that Switch games will sell more in any case (with bigger install base later). I never said that for instance if Zelda BotW now has sold 10m on install base of 20m, that it will sell 20m on install base of 40m, just a simple fact that would sell more in any case.

Point that "attach rate has absolutely no impact to the people that actually decide whether or not a game should be brought to Switch" doenst has anuthing with my point.

You made the claim that it's greater than 90%. You can't back that up with a handful of examples, you need to back it up with statistics based on the sales of hundreds of multi-platform games. So please go ahead.

The best selling games aren't the best examples because again, the vast majority of games don't sell like the top 5% do. Most Nintendo Switch games do not have very good legs. Only the handful you mentioned did. I'm not going to go back and check, but let's say you mentioned 10 games. According to Wikipedia there are over 1200 Nintendo Switch games. You're talking about less than 0.008% of the Switch's library, and using these titles to represent the entirety of it. I'm actually account for that other 95% + you're ignoring.

We can say with some certainty? Why is that? I've conceded that it's more than zero, but again, that doesn't tell us anything. But is it more than 100K? Can you be certain of that? How about 200K? 1 million? You have no idea. It is the point that we can't know how many, since  total game sales aren't directly related to a console's platform's total sales. You refuse to concede this, even though if there was a direct relationship you would be able to reasonably predict how many copies of a game would sell on a higher or lower install base. 

So if you think it's some grand point that if title A sells 2 million copies on the Switch when there's 20 million Switches sold and when the Switch hits 40 million sold, title A is at 2.1 million copies sold, and when the Switch hits 60 million sold it's at 2.15 million sold, and since 2.15 is greater than 2,  then that means that sales grow with install base, then you're making one of the frailest points in this thread. It's insignificant. It doesn't matter even a little bit.  it doesn't show that install base impacts sales in any meaningful way any more than time does. For all you know those 150K sold after those two milestones were hit were all bought by people who owned the console when it hit the 20 million milestone, which again, would mean the extra 40 million switches sold made zero impact on sales. So the best you can say about the impact install base has on a game is that it may have some immeasurable impact. If you want to get hung up on that, that's on you.

Well the reason you keep bringing up attach rate is you think that it justifies third party sales that for higher budget, expensive to port games don't instill confidence that there's money to be made. The question the OP asks is why big games aren't coming to the Switch. Attach rate has literally nothing to do with that.

Look itself, you will see that I right, just look at first 100 best selling games on PS4 and XB1.

I talking about Nintendo games for Switch, and yes Nintendo Switch games for Switch have very good legs. Look that at that link that I gave you and look again at end of month with updates. But, again clear fact is that every game will have better sales with higher Switch install base in any case, some more than other offcourse.

Fact that some game on same platform will sell more how install base is growing, tell you that is wrong to compare sales of games where you have one platform of install base of 20m and other of 80m.

Again, fact is that every game will sell better how much install base is growing, some will sell more than others, but point is that every game will sell better. You have hard time accepting that very clear fact. And again, I was primarly talking about Nintendo games for Switch, and we all know that Nintendo games usualy have very good legs, and we already seeing those legs with most games that Nintendo released for Switch.

You are again wrong, that was never my itend, and I didnt talk about 3rd party sales at all, in our hole discussion I didnt menatione sales of 3rd party games on Switch not single time.  You wrote this "The results might surprise you. Sony first party titles are selling higher than most Nintendo IPs", and I made reply to that your post because and later to your point that install base dont have effect on games sales.

Around the Network

Vs

I love the switch but somethings just dont translate well to something with way less power.

Edit: also when something does try to make it better for switch it requires streaming. not something that has been popular.

Miyamotoo said:
potato_hamster said:

You made the claim that it's greater than 90%. You can't back that up with a handful of examples, you need to back it up with statistics based on the sales of hundreds of multi-platform games. So please go ahead.

The best selling games aren't the best examples because again, the vast majority of games don't sell like the top 5% do. Most Nintendo Switch games do not have very good legs. Only the handful you mentioned did. I'm not going to go back and check, but let's say you mentioned 10 games. According to Wikipedia there are over 1200 Nintendo Switch games. You're talking about less than 0.008% of the Switch's library, and using these titles to represent the entirety of it. I'm actually account for that other 95% + you're ignoring.

We can say with some certainty? Why is that? I've conceded that it's more than zero, but again, that doesn't tell us anything. But is it more than 100K? Can you be certain of that? How about 200K? 1 million? You have no idea. It is the point that we can't know how many, since  total game sales aren't directly related to a console's platform's total sales. You refuse to concede this, even though if there was a direct relationship you would be able to reasonably predict how many copies of a game would sell on a higher or lower install base. 

So if you think it's some grand point that if title A sells 2 million copies on the Switch when there's 20 million Switches sold and when the Switch hits 40 million sold, title A is at 2.1 million copies sold, and when the Switch hits 60 million sold it's at 2.15 million sold, and since 2.15 is greater than 2,  then that means that sales grow with install base, then you're making one of the frailest points in this thread. It's insignificant. It doesn't matter even a little bit.  it doesn't show that install base impacts sales in any meaningful way any more than time does. For all you know those 150K sold after those two milestones were hit were all bought by people who owned the console when it hit the 20 million milestone, which again, would mean the extra 40 million switches sold made zero impact on sales. So the best you can say about the impact install base has on a game is that it may have some immeasurable impact. If you want to get hung up on that, that's on you.

Well the reason you keep bringing up attach rate is you think that it justifies third party sales that for higher budget, expensive to port games don't instill confidence that there's money to be made. The question the OP asks is why big games aren't coming to the Switch. Attach rate has literally nothing to do with that.

Look itself, you will see that I right, just look at first 100 best selling games on PS4 and XB1.

I talking about Nintendo games for Switch, and yes Nintendo Switch games for Switch have very good legs. Look that at that link that I gave you and look again at end of month with updates. But, again clear fact is that every game will have better sales with higher Switch install base in any case, some more than other offcourse.

Fact that some game on same platform will sell more how install base is growing, tell you that is wrong to compare sales of games where you have one platform of install base of 20m and other of 80m.

Again, fact is that every game will sell better how much install base is growing, some will sell more than others, but point is that every game will sell better. You have hard time accepting that very clear fact. And again, I was primarly talking about Nintendo games for Switch, and we all know that Nintendo games usualy have very good legs, and we already seeing those legs with most games that Nintendo released for Switch.

You are again wrong, that was never my itend, and I didnt talk about 3rd party sales at all, in our hole discussion I didnt menatione sales of 3rd party games on Switch not single time.  You wrote this "The results might surprise you. Sony first party titles are selling higher than most Nintendo IPs", and I made reply to that your post because and later to your point that install base dont have effect on games sales.

Not, it doesn't work that way. First, you made the claim, so it's on you to support that claim. Secondly, there are thousands of multi-platform games on PS4 and Xbox one, not 100, so your sample size isn't big enough.

If you're only talking about Nitnendo games for Switch you're moving the goalposts, and making a meaningless distinction. So many first party Nintendo games have legs. So what? What does that have to do with the fact that the vast majority of games do not, and what does that have anything to do with the sales of big third party games on Switch? Ohh right. Nothing.

To think that it's wrong to compare the sales of a game that sells 1 million of PS4 and 100K on Switch because less than 1% of Switch users bought a game and apparently that isn't enough of an install base to have higher sales numbers. Completely ridiculous. if Mario Odyssey can sell 11 million copies on Switch, any game can.

No, games do not necessarily sell better based on the install base. Take for example the Dreamcast. Sega stopped producing dreamcasts 14 months after its release, yet some games still continued to sell copies 2-3 years after Sega stopped producing Dreamcasts. Where did those sales come from? It certainly wasn't that increasing install base, so what was it?

This is a thread about third party sales. If you can't talk about third party sales, then there's not much point of talking in there's thread, is there? First party sales are irrelevant to this conversation.

Most Nitnendo IPs do not have 8 million + in sales like Uncharted 4 and Horizon: Zero Dawn have done, or God of War and Spider-man will do. That's a fact. Nintendo has a lot more IPs that Mario, Mario Kart, and Zelda, you know. That again, has little to do with install base. The PS3 has about the same sales as the PS4, and PS3's first party games didn't sell nearly as well as the new titles on PS4 are. See if you can figure out why.

Mnementh said:
potato_hamster said:

I just want to be clear, I agree with you in General. I think Nintendo's audience does need to be treated differently than Sony or Microsoft's. It seems as times have gone on that Nitnendo's audience becomes narrower and narrower in its tastes, and I think it's smart to try and cater to that.

Nintendo doesn't get big third party games because third parties know that big games won't sell. The continuously test this in some form of another (like Bethesda is with the Switch) and they continuously get the same feed back - "This is neat and all, but we're really not that interested. Ohh look a new game published by Nintendo!".

I wouldn't that equal with big. Just Dance became insanely big. It's just that the usual 3rd-party publishers have a usual way of making games, and Nintendo breaks out of that. Which means the publishers have to make risks or just ignore Nintendo. If they take risks, they sometimes get rewarded like with Just Dance. But the other way is simpler and the CEO will get no shit in the investors conference.

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:

But those aren't AAA games (or even AA), except Xenoblade Chronicles 2. And only Xenoblade and Octopath Traveler (and Skyrim) have sold well but not close to Witcher 3, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy XV,... numbers.

Elder Scrolls is the same as Skyrim.

None of the big names you said is recent. Witcher and Fallout are from 2015, FFXV from 2016.I named current games. The currently released RPGs are for the most part on Switch and do sell well as pointed out in the numbers I gave. That's why even more RPGs come to Switch, most prominently with the Final Fantasies recently announced by Square.

Megiddo said:
I'm super interested in seeing how Civ VI ends up doing on Switch. I'd have to think that the crossover between 4/5 X gamers and Switch owners is quite thin. That said the idea of playing Civ VI on an airplane without needing to buy an expensive laptop appeals to me greatly. So if others are like me (with more disposable income) I could see Civ VI maybe not doing very well in terms of pure software sales, but actually widening the currently relatively narrow demographic focus for the Switch.

This is also a very interesting thing for me to watch. Civilization so far is PC centric and released on mobile (and I have no idea how much success they have there). I guess consoles have their draw, because on paper PC is just the better gaming platform, but still consoles are a thing. So I think the convenience of consoles keeps them alive. So that may build also the userbase for Civilization at Switch: gamers who don't care for PC-gaming but care for this gameplay. I think they expect 250-500K sales, if Civ sells 1M+ on Switch it probably secures future releases.

I'm also very interested if Anno and Settlers follow this move. Although looking at it, it seems like Settlers is dead. So... only Anno.

Mnementh said:
potato_hamster said:

I just want to be clear, I agree with you in General. I think Nintendo's audience does need to be treated differently than Sony or Microsoft's. It seems as times have gone on that Nitnendo's audience becomes narrower and narrower in its tastes, and I think it's smart to try and cater to that.

Nintendo doesn't get big third party games because third parties know that big games won't sell. The continuously test this in some form of another (like Bethesda is with the Switch) and they continuously get the same feed back - "This is neat and all, but we're really not that interested. Ohh look a new game published by Nintendo!".

I wouldn't that equal with big. Just Dance became insanely big. It's just that the usual 3rd-party publishers have a usual way of making games, and Nintendo breaks out of that. Which means the publishers have to make risks or just ignore Nintendo. If they take risks, they sometimes get rewarded like with Just Dance. But the other way is simpler and the CEO will get no shit in the investors conference.

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:

But those aren't AAA games (or even AA), except Xenoblade Chronicles 2. And only Xenoblade and Octopath Traveler (and Skyrim) have sold well but not close to Witcher 3, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy XV,... numbers.

Elder Scrolls is the same as Skyrim.

None of the big names you said is recent. Witcher and Fallout are from 2015, FFXV from 2016.I named current games. The currently released RPGs are for the most part on Switch and do sell well as pointed out in the numbers I gave. That's why even more RPGs come to Switch, most prominently with the Final Fantasies recently announced by Square.

Megiddo said:
I'm super interested in seeing how Civ VI ends up doing on Switch. I'd have to think that the crossover between 4/5 X gamers and Switch owners is quite thin. That said the idea of playing Civ VI on an airplane without needing to buy an expensive laptop appeals to me greatly. So if others are like me (with more disposable income) I could see Civ VI maybe not doing very well in terms of pure software sales, but actually widening the currently relatively narrow demographic focus for the Switch.

This is also a very interesting thing for me to watch. Civilization so far is PC centric and released on mobile (and I have no idea how much success they have there). I guess consoles have their draw, because on paper PC is just the better gaming platform, but still consoles are a thing. So I think the convenience of consoles keeps them alive. So that may build also the userbase for Civilization at Switch: gamers who don't care for PC-gaming but care for this gameplay. I think they expect 250-500K sales, if Civ sells 1M+ on Switch it probably secures future releases.

I'm also very interested if Anno and Settlers follow this move. Although looking at it, it seems like Settlers is dead. So... only Anno.

Well, Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a recent action-RPG (you make dialogue choises and pick character skills).

But what I was trying to say is that RPG games like Fallout, Witcher 3, Final Fantasy XV, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Skyrim,... have sold several millions of copies on PS4/PS3 and Xbox One/Xbox 360. But Xenoblade Origins 2 and Octopath have sold "only" 1-2 million. And I don't think that there are any RPGs on previous Nintendo consoles that have sold anywhere near as much as Fallout, Skyrim, Final Fantasy XV, Witcher 3,...

Those games that you mentioned have have only sold about 50-100K (and they aren't AAA/AA), so they get lost/ingnored because PS4/Xbox One have so many competing games and a huge library. But can you name RPG games that have sold several millions of copies on any Nintendo consoles (besides Pokemon)?

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

potato_hamster said:
Mnementh said:

Just dance is not a high production game. It might garner high sales but they release that sometimes on 6-7 different platforms every single year. It is designed to be cheap to port, it is designed to be very easy to update for a yearly release, and minimal effort is put into updating every single year. But I'm pretty sure Nintendo could make a Just Dance-style game and Just Dance would suddenly take a dramatic hit in sales on Nintendo platforms.

I don't think Nintendo breaks out of their way of making games that much at all. Publishers have done things like practically wholesale copied Pokemon (like Robopon) and not seen a fraction of the success. The Nintendo name itself garners the attention of people on Nintendo platforms, and they're far more likely to buy a game that was published by Nintendo than they were if it wasn't. Mario and Rabbids Kingdom battle is a prime example of that.  XCOM-style games have never sold well on Nintendo platforms (at least in recent history) , but if you take that game and add the Mario IP to it, it sells millions. It's hard for third parties to compete with that.

I don't think it is the name Nintendo alone. Yes, being a big publisher helps, be it EA, Sony or 2K. For exposure. Your game will be seen and noticed, while some indie game might fly under the radar. But to get a good rep needs work. Nintendo got that by constant high quality, good polish. See, even Nintendo has their low-key titles. Practically annual series like Kirby. They don't sell bad, but they never light the charts on fire. They are low effort games for Nintendo. But the big games have visibly effort poured into them. Even series with a clear gameplay scheme, you could say a formula. Mario Kart follows the formula, but Nintendo doesn't stop there and pours effort into it to make the courses unique. That makes them stand out against All-Star Fruit Racing, Hello Kitty Kruisers or Nickelodeon Kart Racers. All these games have actually the exact same formula as Mario Kart, and still you see the effort Nintendo poured into it. I see you think: and what is with Sonic Racing? Well, I had both Sonic Racing Transformed and Mario Kart 8 on WiiU, and guess which was more fun? Sonic Racing is not shovelware, but still the Nintendo product had more quality, more polish too it. If Nintendo drops their standards, they will sell worse.

Nintendo is not alone by the way. I feel Atlus has the same polish. They cover a niche with RPGs. But still in this niche they sell pretty well. Many claim Rockstar has constant high quality, and look at the sales in the result. CD Project Red is hailed for their quality, and sales are soaring. The difference is though, that Nintendo is bigger and can output more games.

For Ubisoft games I by now expect a fun game riddled with glitches. ZombiU had a game breaking bug on release. On Miiverse I showed funny pictures of glitches in Assassins Creed III, a game I bought years late and had at first a bunch of patches to install. In Skyrim I met the floating tree, the Mammoth falling from the sky, the hollow rock (only textures on one side), also years after initial release. The games are still fun, but the lack of polish impacts the experience.

That's why Nintendo sells better on Nintendo systems. On other systems gamer have no choice than to play the subpar games and are probably used to it. And notice how much praise the exceptions get, the Atlus games, the Rockstar games. People who are used to a lack of polish still notice if the polish is there.

EDIT: That striiked out part was not OK. I apologize. I was a bit enraged, because always people assume Nintendo games sell so good because the Nintendo fans are brainwashed nostalgia bots. I never grew up with Nintendo (was a PC player as I was young, my first console was the Wii, then PS2), but I learned to appreciate their focus on detail and polish. So no, the trust Nintendo has in sales comes from actual work they do. And as I pointed out, some other companies and in advancement some game designers have a similar approach to quality. But the truth is, that it is no standard and most games, including AAA and AA games have much less polish. A gamer on Nintendo systems has the standard set by Nintendo products, on other platforms you are probably used to a different standard.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 23 October 2018

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
potato_hamster said:

Just dance is not a high production game. It might garner high sales but they release that sometimes on 6-7 different platforms every single year. It is designed to be cheap to port, it is designed to be very easy to update for a yearly release, and minimal effort is put into updating every single year. But I'm pretty sure Nintendo could make a Just Dance-style game and Just Dance would suddenly take a dramatic hit in sales on Nintendo platforms.

I don't think Nintendo breaks out of their way of making games that much at all. Publishers have done things like practically wholesale copied Pokemon (like Robopon) and not seen a fraction of the success. The Nintendo name itself garners the attention of people on Nintendo platforms, and they're far more likely to buy a game that was published by Nintendo than they were if it wasn't. Mario and Rabbids Kingdom battle is a prime example of that.  XCOM-style games have never sold well on Nintendo platforms (at least in recent history) , but if you take that game and add the Mario IP to it, it sells millions. It's hard for third parties to compete with that.

I don't think it is the name Nintendo alone. Yes, being a big publisher helps, be it EA, Sony or 2K. For exposure. Your game will be seen and noticed, while some indie game might fly under the radar. But to get a good rep needs work. Nintendo got that by constant high quality, good polish. See, even Nintendo has their low-key titles. Practically annual series like Kirby. They don't sell bad, but they never light the charts on fire. They are low effort games for Nintendo. But the big games have visibly effort poured into them. Even series with a clear gameplay scheme, you could say a formula. Mario Kart follows the formula, but Nintendo doesn't stop there and pours effort into it to make the courses unique. That makes them stand out against All-Star Fruit Racing, Hello Kitty Kruisers or Nickelodeon Kart Racers. All these games have actually the exact same formula as Mario Kart, and still you see the effort Nintendo poured into it. I see you think: and what is with Sonic Racing? Well, I had both Sonic Racing Transformed and Mario Kart 8 on WiiU, and guess which was more fun? Sonic Racing is not shovelware, but still the Nintendo product had more quality, more polish too it. If Nintendo drops their standards, they will sell worse.

Nintendo is not alone by the way. I feel Atlus has the same polish. They cover a niche with RPGs. But still in this niche they sell pretty well. Many claim Rockstar has constant high quality, and look at the sales in the result. CD Project Red is hailed for their quality, and sales are soaring. The difference is though, that Nintendo is bigger and can output more games.

For Ubisoft games I by now expect a fun game riddled with glitches. ZombiU had a game breaking bug on release. On Miiverse I showed funny pictures of glitches in Assassins Creed III, a game I bought years late and had at first a bunch of patches to install. In Skyrim I met the floating tree, the Mammoth falling from the sky, the hollow rock (only textures on one side), also years after initial release. The games are still fun, but the lack of polish impacts the experience.

That's why Nintendo sells better on Nintendo systems. On other systems gamer have no choice than to play the subpar games and are probably used to it. And notice how much praise the exceptions get, the Atlus games, the Rockstar games. People who are used to a lack of polish still notice if the polish is there.

Get out of here with this nonsense. That is complete and utter crap and does nothing but tarnish your credibility. You contradict yourself by mentioning publishers in this very post that in your opinion reach a level of "polish" that rivals Nintendo who are far more popular on non-Nintendo platforms. Smarten up.

Last edited by potato_hamster - on 23 October 2018

Mnementh said:
potato_hamster said:

Whoah, I saw all of that, too! I didn't even know these had names, actually. All of those left an ugly stain in my experience, sadly. Therefore,  can understand where you come from and I share your opinion.

You probably could have worded that second bolded one better but I get what you mean.

potato_hamster said:
Mnementh said:

Get out of here with this nonsense. That is complete and utter crap and does nothing but tarnish your credibility. You contradict yourself by mentioning publishers in this very post that in your opinion reach a level of "polish" that rivals Nintendo who are far more popular on non-Nintendo platforms. Smarten up.

GoOnKid said:
Mnementh said:

Whoah, I saw all of that, too! I didn't even know these had names, actually. All of those left an ugly stain in my experience, sadly. Therefore,  can understand where you come from and I share your opinion.

You probably could have worded that second bolded one better but I get what you mean.

Yeah, I could've worded it better. It was at the end of a long post. What I mean is, that many big games have the missing polish. And don't get me wrong, the games are still fun, I enjoyed Skyrim very much, but still I would've wished such glitches would've been fixed. On Nintendo systems gamers experience this high level of polish with first party products. Not that Nintendo fucks up here and there, for instance Luigis Mansion 2 on the 3DS was riddled with glitches. But for the most part they set a standard. This standard isn't there on other consoles. Gamers are used to the glitches and shrug them off. The games that have that polish (as I mentioned, Atlus, Rockstar, CD Project Red) are usually met with praise and I expect some of it stems from the fact that the games held a higher standard than what the gamers on this console are used to. That is what I meant.

And the names for the glitches were my words. I think everyone understands what I talk about if I say floating tree, especially if they noticed it too.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
potato_hamster said:

GoOnKid said:

Yeah, I could've worded it better. It was at the end of a long post. What I mean is, that many big games have the missing polish. And don't get me wrong, the games are still fun, I enjoyed Skyrim very much, but still I would've wished such glitches would've been fixed. On Nintendo systems gamers experience this high level of polish with first party products. Not that Nintendo fucks up here and there, for instance Luigis Mansion 2 on the 3DS was riddled with glitches. But for the most part they set a standard. This standard isn't there on other consoles. Gamers are used to the glitches and shrug them off. The games that have that polish (as I mentioned, Atlus, Rockstar, CD Project Red) are usually met with praise and I expect some of it stems from the fact that the games held a higher standard than what the gamers on this console are used to. That is what I meant.

And the names for the glitches were my words. I think everyone understands what I talk about if I say floating tree, especially if they noticed it too.

There are also many big games that are very polished. There also are many Nitnendo games that lack polish. Luigi's Mansion 2 is just the tip of the iceberg. For example: The last few Mario party games, the last couple Mario Tennis games, or the last couple Paper Mario games,  or Nintendogs, or Wii Music, or Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival or Metroid Prime: Federation Force. Need I go on? Nintendo regularly puts out games that no one would rationally call a "great game" while putting out some of the best video games every single year.

The standard is there on other consoles. This is complete nonsense. Look how Ubisoft got raked over the coals for that Assassin's Creed game with the missing face glitch. Look how EA got raked over the coals for Mass Effect Andromeda. There are dozens and dozens of examples you can find of PS4, XBox and PC players letting developers know that the quality of their games do not meet standards and are unacceptable. Look at Guerilla Game's reputation but putting out unremarkable games until Horizon: Zero Dawn. Non-Nintendo gamers don't put up with poor quality titles any more than Nitnendo gamers do. This is completely baseless.

Also, pretty hilarious that you think Rockstar is known for their polish. Do yourself a favor. Google "GTA V glitch" and see the thousands of results. Even better, check out this compliation of Red Dead Redemption glitches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFBKSz7D6o0

Rockstar is known for putting out pretty buggy titles. But let me guess, you find Rockstar's games pretty fun, so you're willing to gloss over it. ;)

potato_hamster said:
Miyamotoo said:

Not, it doesn't work that way. First, you made the claim, so it's on you to support that claim. Secondly, there are thousands of multi-platform games on PS4 and Xbox one, not 100, so your sample size isn't big enough.

If you're only talking about Nitnendo games for Switch you're moving the goalposts, and making a meaningless distinction. So many first party Nintendo games have legs. So what? What does that have to do with the fact that the vast majority of games do not, and what does that have anything to do with the sales of big third party games on Switch? Ohh right. Nothing.

To think that it's wrong to compare the sales of a game that sells 1 million of PS4 and 100K on Switch because less than 1% of Switch users bought a game and apparently that isn't enough of an install base to have higher sales numbers. Completely ridiculous. if Mario Odyssey can sell 11 million copies on Switch, any game can.

No, games do not necessarily sell better based on the install base. Take for example the Dreamcast. Sega stopped producing dreamcasts 14 months after its release, yet some games still continued to sell copies 2-3 years after Sega stopped producing Dreamcasts. Where did those sales come from? It certainly wasn't that increasing install base, so what was it?

This is a thread about third party sales. If you can't talk about third party sales, then there's not much point of talking in there's thread, is there? First party sales are irrelevant to this conversation.

Most Nitnendo IPs do not have 8 million + in sales like Uncharted 4 and Horizon: Zero Dawn have done, or God of War and Spider-man will do. That's a fact. Nintendo has a lot more IPs that Mario, Mario Kart, and Zelda, you know. That again, has little to do with install base. The PS3 has about the same sales as the PS4, and PS3's first party games didn't sell nearly as well as the new titles on PS4 are. See if you can figure out why.

Do you realy think we will compare thousuands of games? Top 50 best selling games will be more than enough.

Lol, from start of our discussion I was talking about Nintendo games vs Sony games sales, and I even couple of times mentioned that, how that can be moving goal post? Again, I was talking Sony vs Nintendo games sales on first place.

Ofcourse its wrong, and it's wrong to use those numbers like definitive numbers, simple because even that 100k game will keep selling how intall base is growing, its far more accurate to compare attach rate for that game than simple numbers if you already comparing sales of games on different platform with huge difference in install base. Lol, point that Odyssey sold 11m on Switch dont has anything with that, despite Odyssey sold 11m it will sell more how install base is growing, same like that 100k game.

Games have better sales how install base is growing, simple fact. Switch games will keep selling how install base growing, same like we can say that PS4 games had lower sales when install base was 40m instead of current 80m. You cant spin that around, we talking about clear facts, even that Dreamcast games would again sold better if Dreamcast had higher install base than it did.

I gave you simple reply to things that are clearly wrong, you brought 3rd party in discussion, and that wasnt my point.

You wrote "Sony first party titles are selling higher than most Nintendo IPs", and you call that a fact!? Gave a proof, gave me a numbers, because every gen Nintendo destroyed Sony games in sales and even now on Switch we can already compare sales despite PS4 has much higher install base than Switch. Most Sony IPs also dont have those sales, you mention Sony has four 8m+ sold games on install base of 80m, Switch that has only 20m install base we already have three 8m+ seller games, Zelda BotW, Mario Odyssey, MK8D and we will also have Splatoon2, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, 2D Mario...and who know what else, Nintendo games will destroy in sales Sony games like it always do. And offcourse that has plenty with install base, how Switch install base is growing those games will keep selling, Zelda BotW, Mario Odyssey and MK8D will most likly all be 15m+ sellers at end, Splatoon 2 will easily pass 8m+ sales how install base is growing maybe even at end of this year.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 23 October 2018