By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 70% of Switch Owners in the USA own a PS4 or Xbox One

Not a very useful stat, at least this generation. I mean, the PS4 is dominating the competition.

Around the Network
adisababa said:
Nintendo consoles always were secondary consoles.

Pretty much this. Everyone who only owns a Nintendo console will miss 90%+ of all the other amazing video games.

Green098 said:

That's all fine and dandy but I don't see how this this means Super Mario Party will "flop".

I mean when Labo, the closest thing to one of Nintendo's 1st party Switch titles flopping still managed to ship 1 million, being a "flop" loses all meaning. I mean 1-2-Switch aka Mario Party without the "Mario" sold 2.45 million on Switch and it released on the same day as Zelda Breath of the Wild, and the same week as Horizon Zero Dawn. Talk about that for competition. Even Labo released on the same day as God of War.

Best post ever.

Sordel said:
I wouldn't assume that people who own a PS4 or XBox One in addition to a Switch think of the Switch as their secondary console. I bought God Of War earlier this year and I've got the Spiderman SE PS4 Pro coming tomorrow but my Switch is my primary console and that's where I spend most of my gaming budget. I buy first- and third-party on Switch whereas I only use my Playstation for first-party titles.

Same here.  I have a Switch and an Xbox One, so I figure into that "70% of Switch owners...".  However, the Switch has been my Primary Console since March 3rd, 2017.

jason1637 said:

From Resetera https://www.resetera.com/threads/npd-as-of-the-end-of-q1-march-2018-70-of-us-switch-owners-also-owned-a-ps4-and-or-xb1.66884/

I remember a thread a few weeks ago about the new Mario Party game launching in October with COD Black Ops 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2. At the time i thought Bo4 and Red Dead won't have a big impact on Mario Party sales but with this info I think there's a chance Mario Party could flop. This would also explain why Wolfenstein 2 flopped last year because it launched the same day as Mario Odyssey. 

Actually, when I see the preorders and charts on both Amazon and Gamestop, it looks more like the reverse could be true. Super Mario Party is doing much better than RDR2 and especially BOIIII there. Case of point: On the Amazon yearly top 100 charts Super Mario Party is charting at 28, while neither BOIIII nor RDR2 have made it into the Top 100 yet. Worse, BOIIII had until very recently problems cracking even just the hourly charts.

We're still a month away from release, so much can change until then. But Super Mario Party flopping? Certainly not going by the preorders.

Around the Network
adisababa said:

Yeah, and 1980s and 1990s never existed. Lmao

the switch is a great compliment to the console setup. nothing wrong or new about this for years now.

I guess when he said "always" he was being hyperbolic. It's been quite a long time since Nintendo went from trying to have all games to focus more on Japanese and exclusive content. Although GC was a nice try, since PS1, Nintendo isn't really the place for all games and all genres. That's how Nintendo is considered 2nd place to play games for all the casual players out there (and many hardcore too). Nintendo's kinda doing their own thing since N64, which is quite a long time. So I don't think anyone would say "always" as implying scientific fact since the age of dinosaurs.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Dr.Vita said:
adisababa said:

Pretty much this. Everyone who only owns a Nintendo console will miss 90%+ of all the other amazing video games.

Wow, I think the reason for why most people own a Switch + another console goes right over your heads.  Nintendo offers completely different games and experiences than Xbox One and PS4.  Everyone who owns only 1 console is going to be missing something.  That's obvious.  The point though, is that very few people are going to own a PS4 & an Xbox One because they are viewed as being basically the same console (similar graphics, tv-centric, with heavy multi-plat crossover).  So, the most popular combo is going to be either PS4 + Switch, or Xbox One + Switch, because that bridges the largest gap outside of owning all 3.  You can be content with just 1.  But, don't pretend that owning just a PS4 or just an Xbox One puts you somehow leagues above someone who just owns a Switch.  Especially when games themselves are subjective to personal preference.

The real news is that avatar. Justin Bieber is going for a modern day Robin Wright look!
Long live the Princess Bride!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.