By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 70% of Switch Owners in the USA own a PS4 or Xbox One

From Resetera https://www.resetera.com/threads/npd-as-of-the-end-of-q1-march-2018-70-of-us-switch-owners-also-owned-a-ps4-and-or-xb1.66884/

I remember a thread a few weeks ago about the new Mario Party game launching in October with COD Black Ops 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2. At the time i thought Bo4 and Red Dead won't have a big impact on Mario Party sales but with this info I think there's a chance Mario Party could flop. This would also explain why Wolfenstein 2 flopped last year because it launched the same day as Mario Odyssey. 

Around the Network

"Alot of gamers buy Nintendo consoles as secoundary devices.
They play their multiplats on PS4/XB1, and the indie types + Nintendo games on the Nintendo consoles."

I think this plays into that saying.

Nintendo consoles always were secondary consoles.

jason1637 said:

From Resetera https://www.resetera.com/threads/npd-as-of-the-end-of-q1-march-2018-70-of-us-switch-owners-also-owned-a-ps4-and-or-xb1.66884/

I remember a thread a few weeks ago about the new Mario Party game launching in October with COD Black Ops 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2. At the time i thought Bo4 and Red Dead won't have a big impact on Mario Party sales but with this info I think there's a chance Mario Party could flop. This would also explain why Wolfenstein 2 flopped last year because it launched the same day as Mario Odyssey. 

It's not only about platforms, but what you want to do with the games.

There is no interest whatsoever in buying a mario party game if you don't intend to play some local couch coop.

To my knowledge (?) that's not something that either of the other games offer, to begin with.

I don't think there would be any significant impact from this overlap, due to the products catering towards fundamentally different demand that a customer may have.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

That's all fine and dandy but I don't see how this this means Super Mario Party will "flop".

I mean when Labo, the closest thing to one of Nintendo's 1st party Switch titles flopping still managed to ship 1 million, being a "flop" loses all meaning. I mean 1-2-Switch aka Mario Party without the "Mario" sold 2.45 million on Switch and it released on the same day as Zelda Breath of the Wild, and the same week as Horizon Zero Dawn. Talk about that for competition. Even Labo released on the same day as God of War.

Around the Network

*looks at Xbox One to my left*

oh yeeeeaaaaahhhh... forgot about that

adisababa said:

"to me"

How is it so hard to make the difference between an opinion and a fact. Seeing how much games are selling on Switch i'm pretty sure it became a primary console for a lot of people, so was other Nintendo consoles.

Other then that, SMP is doing incredibly well in preorders on amazon and views on Youtube. I also think it's two different audience target so CoD and RDR2 aren't really competing with it.

JRPGfan said:
"Alot of gamers buy Nintendo consoles as secoundary devices.
They play their multiplats on PS4/XB1, and the indie types + Nintendo games on the Nintendo consoles."

I think this plays into that saying.

Very true, it's safe to say that half of these "30%" also have a good gaming PC. I would be very surprised if 20% of switch owners are "switch only" users.

adisababa said:

Were you born after the year 2000 or something? 

palou said:
jason1637 said:

It's not only about platforms, but what you want to do with the games.

There is no interest whatsoever in buying a mario party game if you don't intend to play some local couch coop.

To my knowledge (?) that's not something that either of the other games offer, to begin with.

I don't think there would be any significant impact from this overlap, due to the products catering towards fundamentally different demand that a customer may have.

I think it's possible that someone is interested in CoD/Red Dead and Mario Party and may choose to buy the former instead and mario party later.