By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 70% of Switch Owners in the USA own a PS4 or Xbox One

Bofferbrauer2 said:
outlawauron said:

Those people are so small in number as RDR2 and BO4 will each do 20m easily. So why does that scenario even matter lol.

Well considering that SMP is coming out before RDR2 and BOIIII, I'd say quite a few will buy SMP first. Especially if you consider it's preorders in the US (Amazon and Gamestop at least) where it's doing very well for months while both RDR2 and BOIIII just recently really started to climb up the preorder ranks.

Also, not so sure for the 20M. WW2 is at 19M retail PS4 and XBO combined, while RDR is at 13M combined. We will have to see how much the lack of singleplayer campaign and the changes will affect BOIIII, while RDR2 will need to expand it's playerbase by 50%. While it's certainly far from impossible, it won't be as easy as you seem to think.

Considering the digital ratios for major western games on PS4/X1, it's more likely to be over 30m than not. That's discounting PC sales too, while much lower than consoles sales are still a couple million. I'm not sure why you'd really debate RDR2 either. Quite a lot of hype built for it that the first did not have. While I'm not as bullish as some (I've seen tons of 20m+ predictions in 2018 alone), it's going to be a huge success.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Considering this was similar situation in Wii, and that a lot of the AAA Multiplats doesn't release on Switch plus the exclusives of PS4, it is pretty reasonable that a good bunch of Switch owners would have another console to have a bigger scope of releases.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

outlawauron said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Well considering that SMP is coming out before RDR2 and BOIIII, I'd say quite a few will buy SMP first. Especially if you consider it's preorders in the US (Amazon and Gamestop at least) where it's doing very well for months while both RDR2 and BOIIII just recently really started to climb up the preorder ranks.

Also, not so sure for the 20M. WW2 is at 19M retail PS4 and XBO combined, while RDR is at 13M combined. We will have to see how much the lack of singleplayer campaign and the changes will affect BOIIII, while RDR2 will need to expand it's playerbase by 50%. While it's certainly far from impossible, it won't be as easy as you seem to think.

Considering the digital ratios for major western games on PS4/X1, it's more likely to be over 30m than not. That's discounting PC sales too, while much lower than consoles sales are still a couple million. I'm not sure why you'd really debate RDR2 either. Quite a lot of hype built for it that the first did not have. While I'm not as bullish as some (I've seen tons of 20m+ predictions in 2018 alone), it's going to be a huge success.

I thought you were talking about retail.

Anyway, with digital and PC I agree BOIIII will get past the 20M mark.

Still not sure with RDR2 though. While the first one didn't have the hype, it resulted into selling well over time and not being frontloaded, only a third of the sales were during the launch window (first 2 months). I expect RDR2 to be much more frontloaded, selling well until Christmas and then tapering off to the depths of the sales charts. It all depends if the game sells well enough during this holiday season imo.

DonFerrari said:
Considering this was similar situation in Wii, and that a lot of the AAA Multiplats doesn't release on Switch plus the exclusives of PS4, it is pretty reasonable that a good bunch of Switch owners would have another console to have a bigger scope of releases.

Actualy its opposite situation to Wii, dont forget that Switch is only 1.5 years on market while PS4/XB1 4.5 years, so this suggesting that PS4/XB1 owners are buying Switch, not that Switch owners are buying PS4/XB1.

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

Actualy its opposite situation to Wii, dont forget that Switch is only 1.5 years on market while PS4/XB1 4.5 years, so this suggesting that PS4/XB1 owners are buying Switch, not that Switch owners are buying PS4/XB1.

And who to say a good bunch of Wii owners first bought X360/PS3 and later Wii (sure I know that for Switch the situation is majority bought first PS4/X1 due to the release window).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

And who to say a good bunch of Wii owners first bought X360/PS3 and later Wii (sure I know that for Switch the situation is majority bought first PS4/X1 due to the release window).

Sales say so. After all Wii was selling in it's first two years like PS360 combined and dropped hard after it's fourth year, so chances are most got their Wii first and a PS3 and/or 360 later down the road.

DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

Well we know that Wii had strong sales first few years and that than start slowing down, plenty of casuals were on board and Wii had very aforidible price point from start, but few years later in around 2010. when PS3/360 start getting lower price point with contined releases of strong games while Wii start slowing down with games, plenty of Wii owners start upgraded to PS3/360.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
DonFerrari said:

Sales say so. After all Wii was selling in it's first two years like PS360 combined and dropped hard after it's fourth year, so chances are most got their Wii first and a PS3 and/or 360 later down the road.

Good bunch =/= majority.

The original point still stands, people bought Wii and Switch mostly for the Nintendo exclusives and have another console for most MPs.

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

Well we know that Wii had strong sales first few years and that than start slowing down, plenty of casuals were on board and Wii had very aforidible price point from start, but few years later in around 2010. when PS3/360 start getting lower price point with contined releases of strong games while Wii start slowing down with games, plenty of Wii owners start upgraded to PS3/360.

Agre with all points, but I put it as good bunch not majority.

Barkley said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Luckily US is not the whole world

You have any evidence that the rest of the world is so much different? Or was your post just your personal hopes/wishes based entirely on your dislike of Xbox/playstation?

Well, there is actual evidence that many countries prefer gaming on PC to gaming on console. Many european countries (especially in eastern europe) or Korea for example. China is complicated, as always. That doesn't mean the Switch will do particularly well in these countries too, still there is the step from PC to console gaming. I did this step some time ago with Wii, but here in germany is a split between console and PC gamers, both sides are strong. If I talk with my friends about games, they often haven't heard about some stuff I talk about and one especially can be excited, until he hears it is only on console. So in countries like here in germany the statistics will be different to the US, as not as much game on console in the first place, the Switch owners will not have at 70% owned PS4 (and really not Xbox). But they might not be the strongest markets for Switch too. Looking at the numbers, US and Japan are the strongest markets for Switch, and they are heavily into console gaming over PC gaming. So it is pretty likely, that in these countries Switch owners already owned one of the two other consoles.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

now we care about scores and metacritic lmao