By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 70% of Switch Owners in the USA own a PS4 or Xbox One

adisababa said:
Nintendo consoles always were secondary consoles.

Agree, people play PC at home and Switch on the go

Around the Network

I don’t get the logic in here that people bought a PS4 because they wanted to play third party games. That makes no sense, since Switch is newer, wouldn’t it actually be the other way around? It’s more likely people bought a PS4 first and a Switch later. More logical would be saying that people owning a PS4 bought a Switch because they wanted to have a new experience. Or alternatively you could say WiiU gamers bought a PS4 because WiiU sucked and are now upgrading from their WiiU’s to Switch. Lastly, there’s already so many PS4’s out in the world that anyone who’s buying a Switch is likely to already own something else regardless of their wants, needs and preferences.

This is where Nintendo is smart. Switch can live alongside eithe console and thrive. XBOX One and PS4 are very much alike.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

S.Peelman said:

I don’t get the logic in here that people bought a PS4 because they wanted to play third party games. That makes no sense, since Switch is newer, wouldn’t it actually be the other way around? It’s more likely people bought a PS4 first and a Switch later. More logical would be saying that people owning a PS4 bought a Switch because they wanted to have a new experience. Or alternatively you could say WiiU gamers bought a PS4 because WiiU sucked and are now upgrading from their WiiU’s to Switch. Lastly, there’s already so many PS4’s out in the world that anyone who’s buying a Switch is likely to already own something else regardless of their wants, needs and preferences.

What does that have to do with anything? Purchasing order means nothing in regards to which console is the primary or secondary console. If I purchased a PS4 Pro after the switch, but the Switch after the PS4, which is now the primary?

Primary or secondary can be though of in two ways.

1. Whichever one you play the most hours on would be your primary
2. Whiever system you purchase the most multiplat games for (if hey release same time)

And that all only matters if one even cares to consider one primary and another secondary. I don't give a shit whether I consider my Switch, Xbox or PC as primary or not. I buy games I want on whichever system I feel I would enjoy it most on. In some cases I want the mouse/keyboard, mods or visual quality and thus go to PC. In other cases I want the portability option or couch play (yes I can move my pc to couch, but it isn't) so I pick it up for Switch. Maybe there was a huge sale on the PC, Switch or Xbox so I purchased it for that reason. Ect.

HoangNhatAnh said:
adisababa said:

Agree, people play PC at home and Switch on the go

"70% of Switch Owners in the USA own a PS4 or Xbox One"

"People play PC at home and Switch on the go"

smh

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

This is it exactly.  I think I've read through this whole thread, and this is the only response that really "gets it".  People move on to a newer console, because they are ready for new gaming experiences. 

In fact, this is exactly why console generations exist.  People are not looking for a more powerful console.  They are looking for new gaming experiences.  (A more powerful console is just one possible path to these new experiences.)  A lot of PS2 owners bought a Wii, because they were looking for new gaming experiences.  This is why the Wii was "next gen" compared to the PS2.  The power of the new console didn't matter, but the new experiences did matter.  This is also why the Switch is "next gen" compared to the PS4 and XB1.  People are ready to move on to a new console, because the others are getting old.

That "70%" statistic from the original post is really just saying that Switch owners are those who have already moved on to the next gen console and 70% of them (in the US) happened to have owned a PS4 or XB1 from the previous generation. 

irstupid said: 

What does that have to do with anything? Purchasing order means nothing in regards to which console is the primary or secondary console. If I purchased a PS4 Pro after the switch, but the Switch after the PS4, which is now the primary?

Primary or secondary can be though of in two ways.

1. Whichever one you play the most hours on would be your primary
2. Whiever system you purchase the most multiplat games for (if hey release same time)

And that all only matters if one even cares to consider one primary and another secondary. I don't give a shit whether I consider my Switch, Xbox or PC as primary or not. I buy games I want on whichever system I feel I would enjoy it most on. In some cases I want the mouse/keyboard, mods or visual quality and thus go to PC. In other cases I want the portability option or couch play (yes I can move my pc to couch, but it isn't) so I pick it up for Switch. Maybe there was a huge sale on the PC, Switch or Xbox so I purchased it for that reason. Ect.

Yes, primary/secondary console or whatever is completely irrelevant, and I wasn't talking about that. That comment was stupid to begin with. Point is, this 70% statistic is totally useless.

The OP makes a lot of sense to me. I own all three systems, though I mostly only use the PS4 and Switch. PS4 is my preference when it comes to first-party lineup, but Switch is fast becoming my favorite platform for indie games. I like different things about both systems, so they work together well for me.

(Of course, I'm also an avid collector of consoles, but still I usually don't have two consoles in any one generation that I like about equally. This time I do.)

Dr.Vita said:
adisababa said:

Pretty much this. Everyone who only owns a Nintendo console will miss 90%+ of all the other amazing video games.

Nintendo consoles always were primary consoles.

If you want the best of the best, you gotta get Nintendo, then if you want to play sports games and stuff you get another system.

Disagree OP, the main cause of Wolfenstein failing was launching aside AssCreed Origins. Mario Odyssey proabably had little to no impact on Wolf II due to not sharing any platforms. Even with 70% stat, the audience for both games are different.

Well, I come into that 70%, as Xbox One is my primary with Switch as my secondary. Looking to get a PS4 in the near future to complete the trio.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.