By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 25) Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - June 18 - June 24, 2018

 

OTBWY said:

No. So the next issue is, do you compare MHW to a game like Mario Tennis, in Japan? Do you believe those games are on the same level and are expected to push hardware the same? Btw man, you brought up Mario Tennis. All I did was be amazed at how a console without MH outsold a console with MH in that year *in Japan*. I expected more from MHW, both hw and sw. That was your chart, and I merely commented on it, but you went in a different direction.

@bold
let's not go there. 
Even a die hard PS fan low balled the impact of MHW in Japan.
So basically stop with this kind of post.



Around the Network
Train wreck said:
OTBWY said:

A game like Mario Tennis is not expected to push hardware, MHW is. Yet, a system without it, still outsold it. Without "big" games you could say. There is your answer.

The narrative was that Mario Tennis + Minecraft + the summer Switch release schedule + the positive E3 effect was going to increase the Switch baseline starting this week.  It didnt, people just want to know why.

What narrative? I certainly didn't say that, so who did? My opinion is that Japanese way less for things like E3. Also, isn't the Switch basically above 40k since this month? Do you believe that is the baseline or the things you mentioned above? I certainly don't know. So yeah, why?



Megiddo said:
quickrick said:

And who didn't expect that? switch was suppose to destroy ps4 by this time of the year, literally every one thought this.

Exactly, this is Japan. Home consoles are dead. Everyone knows this. Even Nintendo, which is why their idea of a home console is a portable with an HDMI port. Sony has long given up on Japan and that's why they're seeing enormous success in the west.

yea its funny how he's amazed, whats amazing is ps4 is this close to switch, and MHW was such a huge hit. everybody knew switch was gonna destroy ps4 sales this year.



Megiddo said:
quickrick said:

And who didn't expect that? switch was suppose to destroy ps4 by this time of the year, literally every one thought this.

Exactly, this is Japan. Home consoles are dead. Everyone knows this. Even Nintendo, which is why their idea of a home console is a portable with an HDMI port. Sony has long given up on Japan and that's why they're seeing enormous success in the west.

I think the wording should be dying, not dead. However I do find it amusing that I been saying this for quiet sometime, but for some reason I am being negative. So sadly not everyone knows this, in fact couple of the people I argued against in this very thread do not know this. 

However I think you made mistake to state Sony has long given up on Japan, but that is an argument for another time. 

However on to the current argument I will argue Monster Hunter effect on hardware was more front loaded than PSP/3DS effect, and it was not as big of an effect as previously seen by those two devices. However I will agree that people need to chill. 

PS4 is doing meh, but it isn't awful.



 

NoCtiS_NoX said:

 

OTBWY said:

No. So the next issue is, do you compare MHW to a game like Mario Tennis, in Japan? Do you believe those games are on the same level and are expected to push hardware the same? Btw man, you brought up Mario Tennis. All I did was be amazed at how a console without MH outsold a console with MH in that year *in Japan*. I expected more from MHW, both hw and sw. That was your chart, and I merely commented on it, but you went in a different direction.

@bold
let's not go there. 
Even a die hard PS fan low balled the impact of MHW in Japan.
So basically stop with this kind of post.

I agree with you. In the thread I was the one saying that with such low expectations as were thrown around (for Japan specifically) Capcom couldn't be happy. I myself expected a small decline and was the one with one of the highest expectations. MHW blew all predictions away, at least for Japan.



3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Considering the small memory size and mutliplayer focus of Tennis It'll be interesting to see Famitsu's digital numbers for the game.



Megiddo said:
OTBWY said:

I don't believe this for one second, otherwise Sony would not do Japan only exclusivity deals.

They do Asia-only exclusivity deals. I don't think I've heard of a Japan only exclusivity deal.

Also, what Nintendo release do you think is above Mario Tennis as far as releases after Mario Odyssey but before Super Mario Party go?

So basically Japan.

If we are still talking about Japan (meaning, what would sell in Japan) to answer you question, I think Octopath Traveler certainly. But nothing that could compare to a mainline Monster Hunter.



Mnementh said:
Acevil said:

Meh:
Both PS4 and Switch are at their baseline which is a bit puzzling, given new software.

Train wreck said:

The narrative was that Mario Tennis + Minecraft + the summer Switch release schedule + the positive E3 effect was going to increase the Switch baseline starting this week.  It didnt, people just want to know why.

Well, I was under the impression baseline for Switch was 40K. Why did I get the impression...

nero said:

Ah yes, because 40K was the sales Switch dipped down to in slow weeks without release. With shortages around golden week even a bit less.

So yes, I would say Switch is above baseline this week.

I should have worded it a bit differently. I should have said PS4 is at the baseline and Switch is the same as last week, which is what I would like Switches baseline to be. 



 

NoCtiS_NoX said:

 

OTBWY said:

No. So the next issue is, do you compare MHW to a game like Mario Tennis, in Japan? Do you believe those games are on the same level and are expected to push hardware the same? Btw man, you brought up Mario Tennis. All I did was be amazed at how a console without MH outsold a console with MH in that year *in Japan*. I expected more from MHW, both hw and sw. That was your chart, and I merely commented on it, but you went in a different direction.

@bold
let's not go there. 
Even a die hard PS fan low balled the impact of MHW in Japan.
So basically stop with this kind of post.

Whatever you say bossman. All I was doing is stay true to my expectations, which were mine and mine alone.



Mario Tennis Aces did better than I expected.