By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 25) Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - June 18 - June 24, 2018

quickrick said:
OTBWY said:

A game like Mario Tennis is not expected to push hardware, MHW is. Yet, a system without it, still outsold it. Without "big" games you could say. There is your answer.

And who didn't expect that? switch was suppose to destroy ps4 by this time of the year, literally every one thought this.

Exactly, this is Japan. Home consoles are dead. Everyone knows this. Even Nintendo, which is why their idea of a home console is a portable with an HDMI port. Sony has long given up on Japan and that's why they're seeing enormous success in the west.

Around the Network
Megiddo said:
OTBWY said:

A game like Mario Tennis is not expected to push hardware, MHW is. Yet, a system without it, still outsold it. Without "big" games you could say. There is your answer.

Mario Tennis is the biggest Nintendo release in almost a year (until Super Mario Party in early October). How is it not expected to push hardware? Did Nintendo give up?

No. So the next issue is, do you compare MHW to a game like Mario Tennis, in Japan? Do you believe those games are on the same level and are expected to push hardware the same? Btw man, you brought up Mario Tennis. All I did was be amazed at how a console without MH outsold a console with MH in that year *in Japan*. I expected more from MHW, both hw and sw. That was your chart, and I merely commented on it, but you went in a different direction.

Megiddo said:
quickrick said:

And who didn't expect that? switch was suppose to destroy ps4 by this time of the year, literally every one thought this.

Exactly, this is Japan. Home consoles are dead. Everyone knows this. Even Nintendo, which is why their idea of a home console is a portable with an HDMI port. Sony has long given up on Japan and that's why they're seeing enormous success in the west.

I don't believe this for one second, otherwise Sony would not do Japan only exclusivity deals.

Acevil said:

Meh:
Both PS4 and Switch are at their baseline which is a bit puzzling, given new software.

Train wreck said:

The narrative was that Mario Tennis + Minecraft + the summer Switch release schedule + the positive E3 effect was going to increase the Switch baseline starting this week.  It didnt, people just want to know why.

Well, I was under the impression baseline for Switch was 40K. Why did I get the impression...

nero said:

Ah yes, because 40K was the sales Switch dipped down to in slow weeks without release. With shortages around golden week even a bit less.

So yes, I would say Switch is above baseline this week.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 27 June 2018

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

BlackBeauty said:
Train wreck said:

The narrative was that Mario Tennis + Minecraft + the summer Switch release schedule + the positive E3 effect was going to increase the Switch baseline starting this week.  It didnt, people just want to know why.

At least the switch didn’t decrease. That’s a good thing. Switch baseline has been raised a couple weeks now if you have been following this thread. Unfortunately, I’m really not seeing the same for the PS4 esp after the suppose “shortage”.

And Nintendo isn’t only one that can benefit from e3.

I'm guessing that you haven't been following the thread either (or have tunnel vision) as the PS4 baseline is higher than it was during the early spring when it had its shortages but below last year as the console is over 4 years old.  Outside drastic things that will cause the baseline to go up/be stable on a console this old (which is price cuts) the PS4 sales curve is expected.  I don't know what type of war you are trying to win point out the PS4 sales on a somewhat normal sales curve but continue the fight I guess. 

Around the Network
Green098 said:

Media Create

[N64] Mario Tennis (Nintendo) {2000.07.21} (¥6.800) - 319.434 / 1.065.469
[GMB] Mario Tennis GB |GameBoy Color| (Nintendo) {2000.11.01} (¥3.800) - 143.871 / 334.741
[GBA] Mario Tennis: Power Tour (Nintendo) {2005.09.13} (¥3.618) - 33.870 / 114.599 <42,49%>
[3DS] Mario Tennis Open (Nintendo) {2012.05.24} (¥4.571) - 101.645 / 396.604 <51,19%>
[WIU] Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash (Nintendo) {2016.01.28} (¥4.700) - 55.331 / 139.405 <73,01%>
[3DS] Mario Tennis Open [Nintendo Selects] (Nintendo) {2016.09.15} (¥2.700) - 1.586 / 17.410 <9,47%>
[NSW] Mario Tennis Aces (Nintendo) {2018.06.22} (¥5.980) - 123.774

(GC) Mario Power Tennis-139,000

(Wii) Mario Power Tennis-56,000

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

OTBWY said:
Megiddo said:

I don't believe this for one second, otherwise Sony would not do Japan only exclusivity deals.

They do Asia-only exclusivity deals. I don't think I've heard of a Japan only exclusivity deal.

Also, what Nintendo release do you think is above Mario Tennis as far as releases after Mario Odyssey but before Super Mario Party go?

OTBWY said:

No. So the next issue is, do you compare MHW to a game like Mario Tennis, in Japan? Do you believe those games are on the same level and are expected to push hardware the same? Btw man, you brought up Mario Tennis. All I did was be amazed at how a console without MH outsold a console with MH in that year *in Japan*. I expected more from MHW, both hw and sw. That was your chart, and I merely commented on it, but you went in a different direction.

@bold
let's not go there. 
Even a die hard PS fan low balled the impact of MHW in Japan.
So basically stop with this kind of post.

Train wreck said:
OTBWY said:

What narrative? I certainly didn't say that, so who did? My opinion is that Japanese way less for things like E3. Also, isn't the Switch basically above 40k since this month? Do you believe that is the baseline or the things you mentioned above? I certainly don't know. So yeah, why?

Megiddo said:
quickrick said:

yea its funny how he's amazed, whats amazing is ps4 is this close to switch, and MHW was such a huge hit. everybody knew switch was gonna destroy ps4 sales this year.