By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 25) Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - June 18 - June 24, 2018

Jranation said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Was hoping +50k this week for Switch, but alas. Don't think Octopath is gonna make anymore of a difference. Do we have a date for YW4 yet? Probably the only chance of Switch hardware getting a significant boost before Pokemon.

EDIT: Mario Tennis Open on 3DS increased hardware sales from 43k the previous week to 55k, just to add further context to my dissatisfaction.

What was the 3DS sales the Week before? 

My man, for real? xD

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Jranation said:

What was the 3DS sales the Week before? 

My man, for real? xD

Oh im talking about before 43k.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
My man, for real? xD

46k, why?

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Jranation said:

46k, why?

Thanks! Cause the Switch was doing below 40k. I guess the 3DS had that 40k- 50k baseline 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Tag.

Around the Network
Jranation said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
46k, why?

Thanks! Cause the Switch was doing below 40k. I guess the 3DS had that 40k- 50k baseline 

Nope those weeks were actually just rare exceptions. 3DS' second year had a pretty good flow of notable titles that boosted hardware sales. In Japan through the first 25 weeks of their second year, 3DS sold 2m (average 80k/week) versus Switch selling 1.1m (average 44k/week). Switch is still beating 3DS worldwide of course, but I would really like to see it do so in Japan aswell.

Last edited by Lonely_Dolphin - on 29 June 2018

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Jranation said:

Nope those weeks were actually just rare exceptions. 3DS' second year had a pretty good flow of notable titles that boosted hardware sales. In Japan through the first 25 weeks of their second year, 3DS sold 2m (average 80k/week) versus Switch selling 1.1m (average 44k/week). Switch is still beating 3DS worldwide of course, but I would really like to see it do so in Japan aswell.

3DS was much cheaper and had the XL edition released that summer, also. 

Side note: Nintendo needs to stop playing games and announce a $299 MK8D bundle for the west and a Splatoon bundle for Japan. Bundles along with Smash and Pokemon for the holidays will give Switch a notable sales increase for its second year.

p0isonparadise said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Side note: Nintendo needs to stop playing games and announce a $299 MK8D bundle for the west and a Splatoon bundle for Japan. Bundles along with Smash and Pokemon for the holidays will give Switch a notable sales increase for its second year.

3DS being cheaper will forever go without saying, and the latter we haven't gotten to yet. The XL released late July alongside NSMB2, but yeah Switch definitely wont be able to keep up then.

Agreed, though I think there is a Splatoon 2 bundle, just isn't a value saving one. Reducing it to $300/Japan equivalent, creating a MK8D/Zelda/Odyssey bundle for the same price, then no longer making bundleless SKUs sounds like a good plan.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
p0isonparadise said:

3DS being cheaper will forever go without saying, and the latter we haven't gotten to yet. The XL released late July alongside NSMB2, but yeah Switch definitely wont be able to keep up then.

Agreed, though I think there is a Splatoon 2 bundle, just isn't a value saving one. Reducing it to $300/Japan equivalent, creating a MK8D/Zelda/Odyssey bundle for the same price, then no longer making bundleless SKUs sounds like a good plan.

Ya i think if Switch is ever going to start catching up to 3DS it will be in the middle years. 3DS peaked in year 2, had a small drop in year 3, big drops in year 4 & 5 then a steady decline since.

3DS

2011-4.3m

2012-5.5m/9.8m

2013-5.1m/14.9m

2014-3.2m/18.1m

2015-2.1m/20.2m

2016-1.9m/22.1m

2017-1.7m/23.8m

2018-~.7m/24.5m

So if Switch has any shot of gaining ground than it needs to have an increase in year 3 then a softer decline in years 4 & 5.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.