Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Goku for Smash 5? I say YES!

Tagged games:

Should Goku Join Smash 5?

Yes 32 44.44%
 
No 38 52.78%
 
Broly 2 2.78%
 
Total:72

Goku originated from Manga and anime and then had video games made based on the animes. If the character didn't originate from a video game they can't be considered a video game character. We don't consider Spider-Man a movie or video game character because they made movies and games about him, we consider him a comicbook character because thats where he was first created.

At least thats my reasoning for why Goku's a anime/Manga character and can't be considered a video game character.



Around the Network
Shaqazooloo0 said:
Goku originated from Manga and anime and then had video games made based on the animes. If the character didn't originate from a video game they can't be considered a video game character. We don't consider Spider-Man a movie or video game character because they made movies and games about him, we consider him a comicbook character because thats where he was first created.

At least thats my reasoning for why Goku's a anime/Manga character and can't be considered a video game character.

1. The video games also feature new stories not present in the anime or manga (two separate mediums, btw).

 

2. So does that rule apply to other Dragon Ball characters? Because there are a number of video game-exclusive characters. Android/Majin 21, for example, has appeared first and only in video games. Is she anime despite never appearing in one? And if not, what ramifications does that hold for the rest of the cast?

 

3. Spiderman hasn't appeared in over 80 video games.



Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
spemanig said:

It has! He belongs to the manga medium, the anime medium, and the video game character medium!

I know, right?

 

If you want to make an actual argument and put forth your reasoning for why he can't be considered a video game character in spite of spending quite a bit more time on the medium, feel free. Because your entire argument so far as been so blatantly "nuh uh" that I'm contemplating that report button. If you want to make a point, make it instead of repeating a non-argument.

There is no Goku argument - I'm being silly. Repeating the same thing over and over again and people like you not getting it is the butt of the joke. It's not meant to be taken seriously. It's a silly OT. Dragonball is a franchise which was adapted into video games, but its origins lie in manga so I don't think it belongs in a franchise celebrating video games and specifically its individuality from other media.



Well, this is new.

Read.

Azuren said:
Shaqazooloo0 said:
Goku originated from Manga and anime and then had video games made based on the animes. If the character didn't originate from a video game they can't be considered a video game character. We don't consider Spider-Man a movie or video game character because they made movies and games about him, we consider him a comicbook character because thats where he was first created.

At least thats my reasoning for why Goku's a anime/Manga character and can't be considered a video game character.

1. The video games also feature new stories not present in the anime or manga (two separate mediums, btw).

 

2. So does that rule apply to other Dragon Ball characters? Because there are a number of video game-exclusive characters. Android/Majin 21, for example, has appeared first and only in video games. Is she anime despite never appearing in one? And if not, what ramifications does that hold for the rest of the cast?

 

3. Spiderman hasn't appeared in over 80 video games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Spider-Man_video_games

You are correct. Not over 80. But this is a pretty impressive amount. This is more games than Bayonetta has appeared in.

Spiderman for Smash.



spemanig said:
Azuren said:

I know, right?

 

If you want to make an actual argument and put forth your reasoning for why he can't be considered a video game character in spite of spending quite a bit more time on the medium, feel free. Because your entire argument so far as been so blatantly "nuh uh" that I'm contemplating that report button. If you want to make a point, make it instead of repeating a non-argument.

There is no Goku argument - I'm being silly. Repeating the same thing over and over again and people like you not getting it is the butt of the joke. It's not meant to be taken seriously. It's a silly OT. Dragonball is a franchise which was adapted into video games, but its origins lie in manga so I don't think it belongs in a franchise celebrating video games and specifically its individuality from other media.

The butt of the joke is people who repeat themselves over and over in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. And before you get confused again: that's you, and no amount of trollish antics like attempting to hide messages inside of posts will change that.

 

Being in one medium first over another does not automatically disqualify you from being associated with other mediums by your own logic. Goku appeared in a manga first, and like you said, has also appeared in anime and is considered an anime character. But the anime is an adaption of the manga, making your comments contradictory.

 

So which is it? Is Goku ONLY a manga character? Or is he manga and anime, but explicitly not video games? And under what pretense would he be disqualified as a video game character but not as an anime character? Because last I checked, Goku's video game debut was the same year as his anime debut.



Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Azuren said:

1. The video games also feature new stories not present in the anime or manga (two separate mediums, btw).

 

2. So does that rule apply to other Dragon Ball characters? Because there are a number of video game-exclusive characters. Android/Majin 21, for example, has appeared first and only in video games. Is she anime despite never appearing in one? And if not, what ramifications does that hold for the rest of the cast?

 

3. Spiderman hasn't appeared in over 80 video games.

1. Kind of irrelevant? none of those are canon to the main stories anyway so.

2. It applies to the whole franchise. New characters created in games of that franchise are still tied to the series roots, especially since Akira Toriyama designed her. 

3. I don't think the amount of games Goku has had matters. The Dragon Ball franchise did not originate from video games, so he's not a game character imo.



Shaqazooloo0 said:
Azuren said:

1. The video games also feature new stories not present in the anime or manga (two separate mediums, btw).

 

2. So does that rule apply to other Dragon Ball characters? Because there are a number of video game-exclusive characters. Android/Majin 21, for example, has appeared first and only in video games. Is she anime despite never appearing in one? And if not, what ramifications does that hold for the rest of the cast?

 

3. Spiderman hasn't appeared in over 80 video games.

1. Kind of irrelevant? none of those are canon to the main stories anyway so.

2. It applies to the whole franchise. New characters created in games of that franchise are still tied to the series roots, especially since Akira Toriyama designed her. 

3. I don't think the amount of games Goku has had matters. The Dragon Ball franchise did not originate from video games, so he's not a game character imo.

1. So lemme get this straight: those stories don't count because they weren't in the anime despite your argument that it's all based on the anime?

 

2. So characters that have never appeared in an anime are considered anime characters. Got it.

 

3. Then we'll disagree. I don't see the logic in saying someone isn't a video game character despite appearing in more video games than all but maybe a handful of fictional characters.



Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Medisti said:
Azuren said:

1. The video games also feature new stories not present in the anime or manga (two separate mediums, btw).

 

2. So does that rule apply to other Dragon Ball characters? Because there are a number of video game-exclusive characters. Android/Majin 21, for example, has appeared first and only in video games. Is she anime despite never appearing in one? And if not, what ramifications does that hold for the rest of the cast?

 

3. Spiderman hasn't appeared in over 80 video games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Spider-Man_video_games

You are correct. Not over 80. But this is a pretty impressive amount. This is more games than Bayonetta has appeared in.

Spiderman for Smash.

Bayonetta has one anime and three games, not counting remakes or Smash.

 

Spiderman has countless comic, cartoon, and movie appearances. I think the ratio isn't going to pan out the way you think.



Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

I'm almost torn about this.

On one hand, I would not per se, mind if Goku actually came into the game and much more so, I reaaaaaally don't like trampling on people's wishes for choices. On the other hand (and this is the correct one) Goku is not a video game character, is a character created from something completely outside of video games. He should not be in Super Smash Bros.



I also have a problem with Goku being in Smash because its a silly meme. The day they add Goku to Smash might as well be the day they add Naruto, Reggie, Cory from Disney's Cory in the House, Shrek + Donkey and Etika's Nutsack Sandwitch because once you add one meme character the fanbase will start to realize anybody can get in and then we'll just have a mob of people begging for a bunch of joke characters instead of very minor few that just do it for lols or legit think they stand a chance while everybody else calls them crazy.

We kind of already have started seeing it with 3rd party characters. Now that people see that once thought impossible characters such as Cloud, Ryu and especially Bayonetta are in, people are clamoring for more 3rd party characters and are even more ridiculous than characters they wanted for Smash 4.

I see Goku as the harbinger for the memes to get through. Although he stands little chance of getting in due to not being a video game character, he is the most likely of the memes to get through.