By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Goku for Smash 5? I say YES!

Tagged games:

Should Goku Join Smash 5?

Yes 32 44.44%

No 38 52.78%

Broly 2 2.78%

Total:72
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
NightlyPoe said:

It's not a cliche, it's a reason.  And the reason doesn't go away with time.  I mean, the Chicago Bulls stubbornly refuse to give me a contract to be their center because I'm short.  They've known it for ages, but that doesn't make it a cliche.  I'd prefer to keep the roster to video game characters.  Expanding to 3rd party was fine because it just felt like all the more of an all-star event.

I mean, a part of mean wants the Hulk to be in the game (because... get it?), but opening up Smash to everything just makes it too big.

The "reason" for Smash 64 and Melee was that it was a brawl of Nintendo characters. The reason for brawl was that it was just a special little event bringing on unique third party characters. The reason for Smash 4 was that they're "celebrating" all of gaming history. 

Reasons deteriorate with time. 

Smash never excluded third party characters. The only reasons Snake and Sonic didn't make it into Melee was due to time. Smash 4 just expanded on the third parties as much as the rest of the roster was expanded.

On the other hand, the fact that characters need to originate from video games has always been a rule.

Around the Network
Simpleton said:

The "reason" for Smash 64 and Melee was that it was a brawl of Nintendo characters. The reason for brawl was that it was just a special little event bringing on unique third party characters. The reason for Smash 4 was that they're "celebrating" all of gaming history. 

Reasons deteriorate with time. 

Smash never excluded third party characters. The only reasons Snake and Sonic didn't make it into Melee was due to time. Smash 4 just expanded on the third parties as much as the rest of the roster was expanded.

On the other hand, the fact that characters need to originate from video games has always been a rule.

Well, that's why I almost erased Melee from my post at all, seeing as how third party characters were planned. But the point wasn't some arbitrary "rule set", because the rule set wasn't as important as the intention that made the rule set. Whether or not Super Smash Bros 64 didn't have a rule against third parties is irrelevant : It was marketed, created, and received as a Nintendo oriented brawler. Whether or not Melee(in some alternate universe) or Brawl changed that doesn't matter, because the intention of only allowing a handful of third party characters also changed. Now we have so many third party characters that fans actually bitch that there are too many (weird community). The point I was making wasn't about "rules", but intentions.

Azuren said:
spemanig said:

What am I baiting you towards, exactly? How can I be short-handing admission to good points when my jokes precede your replies? I don't care if Kuririn's game count surpasses all other game franchises combined - he's not a game character. 2 years or 2 minutes after chapter 1 is still after chapter 1. His existence in games still exists as adaptations to embellish the manga. Star Wars has had many more games than on screen appearances, completely eclipsing DB in ratio, and has had a more influential impact on the medium than all of the DB games combined, which have universally been considered mediocre to bad in critical reception literally until this most recent one, being the first to touch 80% on metacritic in the franchise's entire over three decades in the medium. The only reason a game didn't come out sooner for Star Wars is because games as a medium wasn't even popular in the west when Star Wars first came out, and even then its first game predates the first DB game by a few years. All of that is to say that literally none of that makes Star Wars deserving of representation in a franchise about celebrating video game franchises, so DB doesn't even get a seat at the table. When DB stops being an adaptation, it can be in Smash. Since that's impossible, so too shall Freiza's chances in Smash be.

Single phrase responses repeated in spite of points made is not only bait, but it's borderline trollish. It's not adding anything to the conversation, regardless of how you attempt to justify it. Your jokes don't precede anything, they periodically dot the conversation and also populate posts in response to other people with the implication to mock (such as your response to VGP).

And again, so he can be adapted from manga to anime and be both, but not from manga/anime to video games and also be a video game character? His existence in anime is to embellish the manga, the same reasoning you give for why he can't be a video game character as well. Your logic is flawed from the get-go, and you'll honestly only continue making a fool of yourself if you continue that line of contradictory thought.

Star Wars has had a large number of games, yes, but they've had even more comics and novels. 

Oh, so games have to have a good MC to count as games now. I'm sure that's a debate you're willing to have.

Oh, so when Dragon Ball stops making games that are only adaptions of the anime, it can be a video game franchise? You mean like Dragon Ball Z Gaiden, Heroes, or Xenoverse?

Honestly, everytime you try to make a point, it's a mess of contradiction and ignorance of the Dragon Ball franchise. It might be a better idea for you to just say something along the lines of "I just don't want Goku in Smash" rather than attempt to disprove him as a video game character.

I mean, if you think it's trollish you're just misunderstanding of the function of the comment. The only argument against Goku being in Smash is that he isn't a game character. The original post was parodying anyone bringing up that argument in a thread who's OP tried to block that argument in the first place. You just kept falling into that hole where it stopped being parody anymore. I haven't contradicted myself at all.

I'm not saying he's both. He's a manga character. He's been adapted into anime. He's been adapted into video games. My logic isn't flawed, your comprehension is. I explained this when I went into detail about what was joke and what was serious. The "goku is in the anime medium" was followed by "goku is in the not in video games medium." This was joke. First, and let me be obvious, there is no "not in video games" medium. Second, and this is more nuanced, anime is an artistic movement, not a medium. Anime is just cartoons. Its medium is animation as a whole. The entire post is absurdist for the sake of being absurdist. Follow along.

Goku is not an anime character and I never thought he was. That's what that post was clarifying. Goku is also, random fact, not a video game character. In case you were wondering.

You missed the entire point of me bringing up Star Wars. It doesn't matter how much other stuff they have or how often it appears in video games. It's an adaptation. Smash isn't a franchise that celebrates adaptations, no matter how celebrated those adaptations are in video games. If the point you got out of that was that games aren't games unless they score well, I don't know how to help you. You're just not reading. The point was that anyone could easily argue that Star Wars is more deserving of a spot in Smash because it's more important in games, more influential in games, better critically received in games, and has a higher ratio in games when compared to DBZ. And even then it would amount to the franchise still having absolutely no place in Smash because all of those games are adaptations. If you're going to include comics and novels in Star Wars, you have to include the same in DB, except you shouldn't because none of that matters. Goku would still not be a video game character.

And because you don't seem to understand this, an adaptation has nothing to do with not creating original stories. It's about not using original universes. Gaiden, Heroes, and Xenoverse adapt characters, elements, and the entire setting of an established franchise. They are still adaptations. KOTOR is still an adaptation. Books and comics in the EU are still adaptations. Dragon Ball Fighter Z is still an adapta- well, you get the point. Actually, you've made it clear that you have a misinterpretation problem so you probably don't. Dragon Ball Fighter Z is still an adaptation. That's what I was going to say.

I'm not trying to disprove him as a video game character. You and I both know he's not one and we both know why. He appeared somewhere else first and that's where his main series lies. I don't need to disprove that and you don't need me to. We both know Goku isn't a video game character. We both know that it doesn't matter what kind of character he is in its place. What's working you up is why that means he doesn't belong in Smash. You think he can be in Smash despite not being a video game character. I think he shouldn't be in Smash solely because he is not a video game character. There is no other argument.

I've explained now, in varying degrees of seriousness, why from both Dragon Ball's perspective and Smash's. I understand your points and you mostly understand mine. Or maybe you don't - I don't care this is still fun. The conflict is that you think DB's legacy in this medium should override his origins elsewhere, and I know that completely misses the point of Smash. Again and again and again, Smash is a celebration of the fact that video games did not need franchises like Dragon Ball or Star Wars to rise in prominence. We didn't need the crutch of adaptations from more popular mediums with already established and popular characters to rise in prominence. Smash celebrates the fact that video games independently produced iconic franchises unique to them. Throwing an adaptational character like Goku in that undermines its very nucleus. Goku has been part of many crossover projects celebrating DB's own niche, including games like J-Stars. You know why Ash Ketchum isn't in J-Stars???

Well it's actually because Pokemon was never published in Shonen Jump, so moot point, but it's also because J-Stars celebrates the history of shonen manga. Pokemon is a video game franchise, despite having a rich history in both shonen manga and anime. But really it's the Jump thing, I mean I doubt you'll see Saitama there anytime soon. Really, that was a moot point. I'm going to keep clarifying that I do in fact know it's a moot point because you're a non-video game character of habit.

Snoorlax said:

OK guys i'm getting sick of the "not a videogame character argument" what other arguments do you have against Goku joining Smash?

EDIT: PLEASE READ OP.

I get it, Goku is not a video game character but this argument is such a cliché that i find it hard to take seriously anymore because we've known this for ages. Smash was supposed to be a Nintendo All Star fighting game now it's become a Nintendo/third party All Star fighting game.

Here are some arguments in favor of Goku joining Smash.

-1  Goku one of the most requested characters since Brawl

- 2 Goku's anime aesthetic fits perfectly in Smash

- 3  Goku has appeared in over 90+ videogames

- 4 Goku has appeared on pretty much every Nintendo console out there.

-  5 Goku's games are mainly competitive fighting games so that would fit Smash

-  6 Goku's popularity is globally at the same level as Mario and Pikachu and would only boost sales

-  7 Goku would be the first non video game originating character in Smash

-  8 He's Goku what else do you want?

I don't have a lot of time on my hands but I will at least applaud you for readily and consistently debating others on the topic without getting letting it get too crazy. With that said, a lot of your points which has been made, by a lot of people are pretty much wrong. The R.O.B + what smash is supposed to be thing especially, but I'll detail that later if I have time.

Anyway Goku is not a video game character is more than an argument or reason, it is a fact. If you find a fact cliché well you do you. I'll go beyond that reason (except in 3-4 points you made that need (I'll post put an asterisk (*) there )

1 -  Being the most requested has never been good enough to get into Smash (including the Smash ballot)

2 - Goku's anime aesthetic fits perfectly in Smash <> not really; ultimately this is just differing opinions though.

3* - Moot point. Almost all non-collabs are based on source manga material with either fluff elements or experiences which are considered non canon. non canon things are important to note because they generally don't matter towards the story of DB, where even with Nintendo games, silly spinoffs and junk are actually kept in their story. Fluff in DB is irrelevant fluff that ultimately is never carried over. The reason that the 90 games using manga adaption is because it is literally reusing the same story over and over and well you get the point. I'm not going to much further on this because I assume you get the gist.

4 * See previous

5 -  This somewhat contradicts your of bringing up 90+ games. Also this is irrelevant, as the only character brought due to the fact that he was a fighting game character was Ryu, the most iconic fighting game character of all time.

6 -  I don't really want to debate this point. You can have it.

7 - ******************************************************************* 

Now why is it ok for you to use the fact that he is not a video game character as a valid reason, but when others do it in contrast its somehow cliché? Reason is completely null on your part, but it gives me an opportunity to use to say this for your final point:

8 - * I would want a video game character, which Goku is not.

So originally, the Smash series was to be a brawler starring an all-star cast of Nintendo characters.

But with Brawl, they introduced guest characters from non-Nintendo IPs.

So I guess all the games since Brawl haven't been real Smash games. Since they don't follow the original intent for the series.

Around the Network
Simpleton said:

Well, that's why I almost erased Melee from my post at all, seeing as how third party characters were planned. But the point wasn't some arbitrary "rule set", because the rule set wasn't as important as the intention that made the rule set. Whether or not Super Smash Bros 64 didn't have a rule against third parties is irrelevant : It was marketed, created, and received as a Nintendo oriented brawler. Whether or not Melee(in some alternate universe) or Brawl changed that doesn't matter, because the intention of only allowing a handful of third party characters also changed. Now we have so many third party characters that fans actually bitch that there are too many (weird community). The point I was making wasn't about "rules", but intentions.

It was a Nintendo themed roster but there was never any stigma against 3rd parties being the game. They tried to get 3rd parties the moment the roster expanded with Melee. The reason we didn't get 3rd party characters in 64 is most likely because they wanted to fill their bases with the Nintendo mainstays first.

And we have 6 3rd party characters. That's more than before but still a considerably small fraction of the roster, especially when you consider how big the roster is in Smash 4 compared to previous entries.

What I'm saying is even if there's more 3rd party characters than before, they've always been considered in a way non-video game characters have not.

Simpleton said:

It was a Nintendo themed roster but there was never any stigma against 3rd parties being the game. They tried to get 3rd parties the moment the roster expanded with Melee. The reason we didn't get 3rd party characters in 64 is most likely because they wanted to fill their bases with the Nintendo mainstays first.

And we have 6 3rd party characters. That's more than before but still a considerably small fraction of the roster, especially when you consider how big the roster is in Smash 4 compared to previous entries.

What I'm saying is even if there's more 3rd party characters than before, they've always been considered in a way non-video game characters have not.

I honestly don't care that much. I'm mostly participating because I am amazed people can care so much. I'm usually all for all-out enthusiasm and excitement for video games of any kind, even if it means things get heated and debates start to unfold. But in this case, I just can't help but see the thread and question why people are still arguing? The only substantive arguments for Goku not being in Smash have been "it's a rule! it's a rule! he can't be in!", just like the only substantive arguments I see for him being in is "but he's in games! he's in games!" I guess you could say that I'm a hypocrite as I have contributed to the post count of the thread, but I've only done so because I see no reason why I should specifically rule out a character that, to someone who has no experience with Dragon Ball Z, seems to fit Smash pretty well. In cases like that, I usually defend the right for people to dream of a character being added, but I guess I am getting more disillusioned to it, since people would rather argue over it than list reasons why it would be cool. I just don't see the reason why Smash in particular needs to be fought about, in less than 6 months we will probably know all the characters in the game, and all of this will seem pointless. Granted, everything seems pointless in time, but this in particular is not up to us at all. It's up to the developers. 

Jumpin said:
berzerkertank said:

I
You
What?
What the fuck are you talking about? You sound like you're drunk or something.
Latin hero Goku. What? Where do you live?

Not my words, buddy. Someone earlier in the thread said he was a hero of a Latin speaking cult of 10,000 located in the US. Regardless, obscure character, not even from video games, he/she’s actually from cartoon show in the Japanimation style - but without the nudity and cat people that is characteristic of Japanation “Onimays” (as the fans from Weeyapoop subculture call it).

No one ever said that

Smash Bros. is made to celebrate video games industry not video games as a derived product. If there is Goku, why not Naruto, Ichigo, Sailor Moon or Ken from Hokuto no Ken? Why just fictional characters? Why not Kobe Bryant from Kobe Bryant in NBA courtside? Why not Lionel Messi, who was in 50 games+? Why not John Madden?

Snoorlax said:

Simpleton said: 

ROB is a video game accessory that can only be associated with video games and Nintendo. Goku is an anime character. ROB is far more of a video game character than Goku is.

In other words... ROB is not a videogame character.

Also by your logic Smash should make room for the Gameboy camara, GBA link cable and the power glove since those are video game accessories that can only be associated with games and Nintendo.

HoangNhatAnh said:

Most of you? Are you sure? Then choose No.17 or Vegeta, kick out Goku

Are you even serious? 17 is not anywhere half as popular as Goku neither is Vegeta.

Top 1 threads that should be locked

Too bad for you huh.

Shaqazooloo0 said:

No.

Seriously, lets keep it to video game characters, please

After Dragon Ball Super, many people will choose Vegeta or No.17 over Goku for sure