By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Goku for Smash 5? I say YES!

Tagged games:

Should Goku Join Smash 5?

Yes 32 44.44%

No 38 52.78%

Broly 2 2.78%

Total:72
irstupid said:
I'd be all fine with Goku, if it ends with Goku.

But you know then you will have people begging for Vegeta, Future Trunks, Teen Gohan, Piccolo, ect.

No. Because people understand that it's one guess character per franchises.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
irstupid said:

But you know then you will have people begging for Vegeta, Future Trunks, Teen Gohan, Piccolo, ect.

I dunno. Cloud's logo would have been Meteor if they didn't expect to add for FF characters.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
Hynad said:

I dunno. Cloud's logo would have been Meteor if they didn't expect to add for FF characters.

Instead we have FF. Which indicates that he represents the FF franchise.

Hynad said:
Azuren said:

Instead we have FF. Which indicates that he represents the FF franchise.

It could also end up being a more widely recognized logo to represent other FF characters.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Proxy-Pie said:
I'm just gonna chime in and say I loved how he played in Super Smash Flash 2.

With hilarious irony, so did I lmao

Around the Network
Azuren said:
GorillaQc said:

I don't know what to tell you anymore, you're just taking out bullshit out of your ass. Good luck have fun. If Goku comes out in Smash, good for you ! But you'd be pretty damn stupid to think that if HE comes out, no one else will follow.

If you're going to continue to insult me, the least you could do is give an argument supported by evidence.

Dude, i gave more valid arguments than you. You gave 0 valid arguments so far.

Every character that is in smash is either a nintendo character or a character from a video game franchise, Goku is NEITHER. Sure he was in video games, but so what ? Doesn't mean he makes sense in smash ( In fact it means he doesn't ).

I also told you that the Dragon Ball manga was much more popular than the games, and you were like give proof even though it's so damn obvious. The Dragon Ball manga has sold well over 200 million copies in Japan alone, that's a shitload more than what the video games did worldwide. 

I wanted to stop arguing because you didn't listen. There's no point arguing with someone who just doesn't see anything else than his own opinion. Like seriously, first you were about Goku having more presence in video games than in manga, then, when i bring another character like that, you're like "Nope", it's not the same when it clearly is the same thing. 

So yeah, tell me, waht were the valid arguments you made ? I didn't see any of them.

Putting Goku in Smash as the only exception is selfish and nothing more. You either accept other exceptions too, or none at all.

GorillaQc said: 

Putting Goku in Smash as the only exception is selfish and nothing more. You either accept other exceptions too, or none at all.

Fun fact: The only character in Smash that was created in the West is Diddy Kong. Pretty selfish, I know. 

Proxy-Pie said:

yeah Goku was awesome in Budokai 3... A perfect fit for Smash 5!

HoangNhatAnh said: 
Snoorlax said: 

AngryLittleAlchemist  pretty much already told you most of what i wanted to say. But here is one somewhat hypocritical point you made it was initially just Nintendo characters then they expanded to 3rd party which you're okay with. It doesn't matter if it feels more all star or not, that's not what it originally was and honestly Goku joining the game wouldn't change anything about Smash as a game.

I think this has always been an unwritten rule that the fans take way too serious even more than Nintendo themselves, much like the Zelda timeline.

Nobody would've asked for Solid Snake back then despite him being a videogame character because most people predicted he wouldn't fit in Smash and he's from an M rated series. Nintendo, however, decided to add Snake themselves and changed fans' perception of who or what can join Smash... Pretty much anyone. With Smash 4 we were given the oportunity to vote for any character and Bayonetta, a third party highly sexualized character, (supposedly) won the ballot.

I know that Sakurai discussed the topic sometime ago but Goku would actually be way more fitting than both Snake and Bayonetta in Smash not to mention how he destroys both of them in popularity despite not being a videogame character.

Finally someone who's actually open for a debate. 

1 - According to the Smash Ballot, Bayonetta won with most votes. That's one but even before Smash 4 there were Ballots going on in Japan only which made Nintendo include both Marth and Roy late in development of Melee because of their popularity and were actually going to stay Japan exlcusive... So being the most requested can be good enough to convince Nintendo especially if were talking about 3rd party characters which are not too problematic and unrealistic to make possible.

2 - I think he fits better than both Snake and Bayonetta both of which aim for a realistic aesthetic whereas Goku has always been stylized anime or cell shaded much like most Nintendo characters.

3 - Yes, they mostly just retell the same story of the manga however if you've played any of the modern Dragon Ball Z games released between 2000 - 2018 they are full of what if's and their own storylines which kept the interest in the series healthy and that's the key here. It's not the story but DBZ's crazy popularity that kept pushing out more games and kept the series alive after it long ended in '97. The interest in DBZ has never slowed down that's why over 90 games have been made because it's a beast of a series and actually has a list of great games.

4 - *sees previous*

5 - Sure, not all of his games were competitive fighting games but let's be real here the DBZ games that took off here in the West were Budokai and Tenkaichi which pumped out sequels every year. In Japan it was the Butouden series that pushed the DBZ fighting game genre and today we have Xenoverse and  FighterZ both fighting games so it's legacy in fighting games have been around for a long time. DBZ games = Fighting games.

6 - fair enough

7 - Because if we're having a discussion about why a character should or should not join Smash you're going to have to back up your opinion with some good arguments which "not a videogame character" while in Goku's case a FACT, it's simply a weak and overplayed argument for the reasons that i've already stated.

-He's one of the most requested characters.

-He's been in over 90 video games.

-Rob is not a videogame character, he isn't.

BESIDES I should add that i'm not using this as a reason for him to join but to acknowledge the fact that he did not originate in videogames and this should actually be seen as an achievement for Smash Bros, Nintendo and anybody involved because Goku is not just "some anime guy" he's a national icon and a cultural and global phenomenom. 

8 - Which is okay. Heck I'm still waiting for the day Krystal joins Smash!

That's exactly how she wrote and Smash fans have been okay with this.

It is up to the fans if they can vote.

Because Goku (or rather the Dragon Ball series') is the only character that can single handedly buy out most of Nintendo's library of IP's except for a few like Mario and Pokemon. 

Vegeta has a small chance 17? Nahh

Rob was created by Nintendo, not anime studio. Goku was born from a video game studio, isn't it? We need to know where a character was born, from video game creator or anime/manga creator?

The Rumble Pak was also created by Nintendo we need a character slot for that guy!

Mike321 said:
Huh this actually turned into something serious

You're late to the party it's been serious for years. 

GorillaQc said:
Azuren said:

1. So he's JUST a manga character now? I suppose you'll just have to be a minority in that line of thought.

2. Care to provide non-feelings evidence to confirm that?

3. He's really not, and it really isn't. You can get mad and deny clear and obvious differences in circumstance, but that'll only continue to make you look unreasonable.

And I'm not saying Goku isn't an anime or a manga character. I'm saying his continued and persistent presence in video games over an extended period of time (even outpacing his timing in his other mediums) awards him the third notch on his title. He's a manga, anime, and video game character.

I don't know what to tell you anymore, you're just taking out bullshit out of your ass. Good luck have fun. If Goku comes out in Smash, good for you ! But you'd be pretty damn stupid to think that if HE comes out, no one else will follow.

IF there is enough fan demand for others then yes, maybe. Goku does not guarantee all of anime will invade the Smash roster.

irstupid said:

So we've had Sonic join Smash (twice) where are Tails and Knuckles?

Mega Man where are Zero and Roll?

Snake where are Raiden and Meryl?

Rob where is the Rumble Pak? I can go on but i think you get it.

Hynad said:
irstupid said:

It's hilarious how lots of people seriously believe Goku guarantees Vegeta, Mr. Popo and all of anime will make the game before muh favorite Nitnendo characer huurr duurr!!! 

NightlyPoe said:
Snoorlax said:

It doesn't matter because it already changed the original premise of the series, and that's where your hypocrisy comes in.

What you're saying is: This guy stole just 1 dollar so i wont punish him, but the other guy stole 100 he should be punished! You are okay with one but not with the other both of whom are essentially doing the same thing, in Smash' case: bringing more variety to the game.

Who am i? just another fan.

Huh, so the example that I use, and which represents my views correctly is discarded in favor of one that you'd prefer to attack in the very next post?

Have fun showing that strawman who's boss.

I'm not saying my opinion is right yours is wrong. I just don't agree with your views and that you accept Smash premise change once (x3 if we count Rob and Cloud) but not once again while it stays the same game it's not as if Smash will turn into an anime series you know.

Snoorlax said:
Proxy-Pie said:

HoangNhatAnh said: 

Rob was created by Nintendo, not anime studio. Goku was born from a video game studio, isn't it? We need to know where a character was born, from video game creator or anime/manga creator?

The Rumble Pak was also created by Nintendo we need a character slot for that guy!

Mike321 said:

GorillaQc said:

IF there is enough fan demand for others then yes, maybe. Goku does not guarantee all of anime will invade the Smash roster.

irstupid said:

Hynad said:

It's hilarious how lots of people seriously believe Goku guarantees Vegeta, Mr. Popo and all of anime will make the game before muh favorite Nitnendo characer huurr duurr!!! 

NightlyPoe said:

Huh, so the example that I use, and which represents my views correctly is discarded in favor of one that you'd prefer to attack in the very next post?

I'm not saying my opinion is right yours is wrong. I just don't agree with your views and that you accept Smash premise change once (x3 if we count Rob and Cloud) but not once again while it stays the same game it's not as if Smash will turn into an anime series you know.

Rumble Pak? I can agree with you, it will be cool for a character who was created by Nin, or any character who come from video game creator, but Goku, nope, may as well ask for Pico from Boku no Pico

Snoorlax said:
Proxy-Pie said:

HoangNhatAnh said: 

Mike321 said:

GorillaQc said:

irstupid said:

Hynad said:

NightlyPoe said:

I'm not saying if Goku gets in that other will, I'm saying that if Goku gets in, you will have people begging for others to get in.

The DB fanbase is huge. Look at any of the DBZ fighting games. They want everyone under the sun in their games. You don't think they would be begging for Vegeta at the very least?